Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 11/30 - 12/2 - Things and Stuff

Timbo Slice

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a good idea to feature the Bo7 in the main event? Like, people know what they'll get for at least two more weeks, and I don't trust them to subvert our expectations and not have all seven matches. It lost a huge amount of viewers this week.

Like, shake things up, put it right in the middle and have it go 10 minutes tops.

7 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Is it a good idea to feature the Bo7 in the main event? Like, people know what they'll get for at least two more weeks, and I don't trust them to subvert our expectations and not have all seven matches. It lost a huge amount of viewers this week.

Like, shake things up, put it right in the middle and have it go 10 minutes tops.

Did it really lose viewers? I actually really appreciated TK putting that match in the Main Event, because as soon as it started I knew it was safe for me to change the channel for the rest of the show and because it was the last match, I knew I wasn’t going to worry about switching back in case I might miss anything important after the flip and dive show.

10 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Did it really lose viewers? I actually really appreciated TK putting that match in the Main Event, because as soon as it started I knew it was safe for me to change the channel for the rest of the show and because it was the last match, I knew I wasn’t going to worry about switching back in case I might miss anything important after the flip and dive show.

image.png.e634754b1b0b94e06268025f8fa1e9db.png

BTW: total viewership was 870,000.

Literally the only segment to gain viewers was MJF's. Rough.

Like, they gotta read the room. A best of seven series between two teams who like their long ass epic matches - and it is going the damn distance - does not make for engaging television. They gotta do SOMETHING different. A squash, a flash pin, anything.

RAW also is suffering from having lots of looooooong damn matches. This kinda burns out the viewer.

The problem with doing best of whatever is it essentially guarantees it'll go that long so there's no need to tune in to see earlier matches because they don't matter. It's the same reason Iron Man matches do poorly in the ratings. They're also seriously overdoing it with teasing babyface turns only to be all "Just kidding, I'm still a heel." Having the fans get behind someone only to pull the rug out from under them time and time again can't help but dampen enthusiasm.

I think TK's main concern should be losing the demo that was carrying their ratings 12 months ago. Feels like they've had a significant fall on the one thing they had big success with. I know the network would still be happy with these ratings but the audience is telling them they are not "hip" right now.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

The problem with doing best of whatever is it essentially guarantees it'll go that long so there's no need to tune in to see earlier matches because they don't matter. It's the same reason Iron Man matches do poorly in the ratings.

You are really on to something. You are much better building a feud feud. While I don't think you can recreate the Freebirds vs The Von Erichs but you should aspire to.

The ELITE are too stuck in irony and popping themselves. Hall and Nash in 1996 and 1997 were hip and cool. And that became "believing your own press" and cancerous. The ELITE haven't reached THAT point. But the Seven Match Series return is like a bloated double album from a major recording artist. 

With Hangman Page showing up out of nowhere and slapping the fuck out of Mox, Danielson vs Dax, AR Fox vs Joe, that MJF shocking ending angle (wasn't to big on the overstatements about WWE, this is getting quite awkward), Willow having a really fun match with Anna (the best she's looked in a while, cool), the awesome main event, that was one hell of an episode of Dynamite. Well, that Cargill/Bow Wow stuff died more death that Mil Muertes, that was just terrible. Which also means that ratings don't mean shit in term of quality.

Rampage had some puzzling stuff, I really don't get why Kole Carter is on my TV, he's a mid-as-hell NXT reject, Double J was fine for a special match, but as a weekly TV worker, yikes (Sonjay Dutt does crack me up every week tough). The Acclaimed segment was really good (enjoyed the Balenciaga dig, they deserve all the shit in the world), Athena killing bitches is terrific (I love Athena, she's got that crispness and explosivity about her, a heel role fits her quite well) and the main event was super fun, as QT Marshall knows precisely what his role is and always delivers, and the entire Orange/Best Friends/Danhausen unite works perfectly in that setting. Kip Sabian next, well, if he can't have a fun match with Orange right now, then he's a lost cause.

The Regal deal is interesting. I wonder what TK could get out of letting him go back that early. It's obvious Triple H wants *everybody* back from his old NXT crew, he's bringing back Eric Young too. I agree with @Jmare007 when he says Regal has been underwhelming as the manager of the BCC. Not exactly DiBiase as the NWO money man, as he did cut a few great promos and had a few shining moments, but overall, it was never clear what his aim was. Not entirely his fault, but his presence on camera in AEW really did not add that much. Backstage is another thing. Then again, he was signed as a talent, not talent relation. It was obvious the minute Lesveque got in power that Regal would be back, only not that soon (if he indeed leaves soon). 

With Dax interview last week, it's interesting too as obviously FTR as much bigger now than they ever were in WWE, and if they were to go back, they maybe would get the Cody reactions. Booking wise, tag teams in WWE, they have no shot of having the same kind of matches they have with AEW. The idea of doing a year of indies is intriguing, and really that's what they said they were gonna do after leaving WWE (I remember they had a list of dream matches all over the places), then they signed with AEW just a few weeks after anyway. 

22 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

They're also seriously overdoing it with teasing babyface turns only to be all "Just kidding, I'm still a heel." Having the fans get behind someone only to pull the rug out from under them time and time again can't help but dampen enthusiasm.

Yep. I'm still on the fence with MJF not going full babyface. I feel the crowd wasn't that hot for or against him this week.

Same thing with Jaimie Hayter. It feels like they should have hit the mark of her split with Baker a while ago, and although she did get a big pop winning the title and they are clearly working toward the eventual split, we really are going at a snail pace again. Next PPV is March, seems way too far to extend this stuff until then. There's a risk of cooling down Jaimie in the meantime if they don't work hot angles with her and Baker going at it.

Almost forgot, there is a subtle tease of Ortiz joining the House of Black, and honestly it would not be the worst idea. He's completely lost in the shuffle, and his aesthetics and style could fit right in (he loves to wear the death mask kinda paint). I sure hope we get that HoB vs Elite feud, as those trios matches would be killers again.

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Yep. I'm still on the fence with MJF not going full babyface. I feel the crowd wasn't that hot for or against him this week.

Same thing with Jaimie Hayter. It feels like they should have hit the mark of her split with Baker a while ago, and although she did get a big pop winning the title and they are clearly working toward the eventual split, we really are going at a snail pace again. Next PPV is March, seems way too far to extend this stuff until then. There's a risk of cooling down Jaimie in the meantime if they don't work hot angles with her and Baker going at it.

Almost forgot, there is a subtle tease of Ortiz joining the House of Black, and honestly it would not be the worst idea. He's completely lost in the shuffle, and his aesthetics and style could fit right in (he loves to wear the death mask kinda paint). I sure hope we get that HoB vs Elite feud, as those trios matches would be killers again.

I think if the news of Regal's return to WWE was confirmed a few days earlier, Max blindsiding Regal would've gotten a huge pop. 

On 12/2/2022 at 7:56 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Literally the only segment to gain viewers was MJF's. Rough.

Like, they gotta read the room. A best of seven series between two teams who like their long ass epic matches - and it is going the damn distance - does not make for engaging television. They gotta do SOMETHING different. A squash, a flash pin, anything.

RAW also is suffering from having lots of looooooong damn matches. This kinda burns out the viewer.

It's a typical pattern for modern wrestling shows. They all steadily lose viewers. 

That said, I agree that the best of seven series is a bad idea for TV ratings. There's also no reason for this series to be a best of seven. 

I think TK should start hotshotting some matches more tbh. Give us Omega-Danielson, Hangman-Mox (that seems to be happening and that brawl was easily the best angle AEW has done in months), Bucks-FTR 3, Miro-Joe, Hobbs-Wardlow, Starks-Danielson, the possibilities are endless. A little less Jericho as well, he has been overexposed in the recent months, and the only people he has put over are Mox and Danielson, two guys who are above him on the totem pole and won't benefit from beating him. 

3 hours ago, MoS said:

It's a typical pattern for modern wrestling shows. They all steadily lose viewers. 

31% drop-off on Monday for the Bloodline segment apparently. So yeah, it's not just "who is in this segment" that matters. 

Agree that best out of 5 was probably enough, although I for one won't complain. 

Also, I know I am far from the first one to say this here, but Renee is so so so good in her role. In a lot of ways, she might just be the best signing AEW has done since they first started. She immediately makes backstage segments feel like they have some weight or importance behind them, and she is also so excellent at playing off of wrestlers' shtick and making the entire presentation feel natural, organic and exciting. She really is the best in this role that the wrestling world has seen since Mean Gene Okerlund.

3 hours ago, Embrodak said:

FTR would be fools to go back to WWE unless Triple H is serious about rebuilding the tag team division. AEW doesn’t have a good tag division, but it’s worlds better than WWE recycling the same 5 teams over and over.

Yeah I have mixed feelings about them going back as well. Triple H certainly has a much greater respect for Tag Team wrestling than Vince ever did, as evidenced by the tag division in NXT when he was in charge. Plus, unlike in AEW they’d probably be featured on TV and PPV consistently. The fact that they go for weeks at a time without being on TV in AEW, and the fact that they did not have a straight up Tag Team match on the last two PPV’s is just ridiculous.

However, the level of competition would probably not be as good for them if they went back to WWE, they probably would not be able to go to Japan if they wanted to, and they probably would not be able to work the Indies. Plus, the schedule would probably be a little bit harder for them. I just wish Tony Khan would feature them consistently.