Pro Wrestling Only

R.I.P. Superstar Billy Graham

C.S.

Hard to imagine Hulkamania ever existing without Superstar. Ironic for a man that is so remembered as a major heel would inspire the biggest babyface of a generation in Hogan. Even in the famous loss to Backlund, Graham was protected to a degree (foot on the rope).  Aside Hogan and Steiner, you can see shades of Billy's style in Batista and currently Alex Hammerstone. 

Superstar Billy Graham changed the way wrestlers presented themselves. At a time where your in-ring skills mattered more than everything, he made it about the sizzle & the larger-than-life look. One true pioneer of the entire business.

I touched on this before but it is fascinating to consider Graham and Hogan. The father runs this character as his top heel in the promotion with Graham, then his son takes over the business and inverts the role with Hogan as the top babyface. Later on, Vince Jr would rather move on from Hogan altogether than consider turning him heel. Hogan leaves Vince and dials up the Superstar persona even more with the Hollywood gimmick full circle as the top heel.  Hogan goes back to Vince Jr and becomes the top babyface once again within months of returning as a heel. VKM always viewed the Superstar archetype as a hero in his promotion. Even Scott Steiner initially arrived in WWE as a babyface against HHH.

Conversely, you had Vince Jr book Backlund as a heel champion rather than a babyface champion. He turned his dad's biggest heel into a babyface and his biggest babyface into a heel.

Yeah you could tell when he showed up on Superstars in 80s Vince was a pretty big mark for him.  I wonder if that's why Graham was so bummed about dropping the strap.  He thought Vince had enough pull with his old man to keep the strap for him.  

5 hours ago, pmo said:

Yeah you could tell when he showed up on Superstars in 80s Vince was a pretty big mark for him.  I wonder if that's why Graham was so bummed about dropping the strap.  He thought Vince had enough pull with his old man to keep the strap for him.  

Even Bruno thought it was crazy to take the belt off him when he was drawing huge houses all over the territory.  My only guess is babyface Superstar would have been full bore sports entertainer and I don't think Sr knew what to do with that. 

They probably could've called an audible and delayed the title change a few months and milked it a bit more, but the fact is Backlund had been booked super strong and had gotten over with the fans. This wasn't a forced situation at all. Vince Sr wanted a new babyface superhero and he had basically created one through a year of careful booking. (Which, when you study it, really was a masterclass in creating a star) The houses basically stayed the same with Backlund on top, so you can't say he was wrong.

Babyface Graham would've been interesting, particularly against guys like Ken Patera or his former partner Ivan Koloff

20 Superstar Graham matches to watch:

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (JIP - WWWF - 2/2/76)

Superstar Graham & Ivan Koloff vs Louis Cerdan & Tony Parisi (WWWF - 3/1/76)

Antonio Inoki vs Superstar Graham (NJPW - 9/10/76)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (WWWF - 4/30/77)

Superstar Graham vs Gorilla Monsoon (WWWF - 5/16/77)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (WWWF - 6/27/77)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (WWWF – 8/1/77)

Superstar Graham vs Ivan Putski (WWWF - 8/29/77)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (WWWF - 9/17/77)

Superstar Graham vs Dusty Rhodes (WWWF - 9/26/77)

Superstar Graham vs Dusty Rhodes (Texas Death Match - 10/24/77)

Superstar Graham vs Mil Mascaras (WWWF - 12/19/77)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (Steel Cage Match - WWWF - 2/18/78)
Bob Backlund vs Superstar Graham (Sicilian Stretcher Match - WWWF - 9/16/78)

Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Graham (WWWF - 10/23/78)

Superstar Graham vs Higo Hamaguchi (IWE - 4/18/79)

Superstar Graham vs Great Kusatsu (IWE - 4/19/79)

Superstar Graham vs Mighty Inoue (IWE - 4/20/79)

Superstar Graham vs Rusher Kimura (Cage Match - IWE - 4/21/79)

Dusty Rhodes vs Superstar Graham (Houston - 1/4/80

The matchup with Bruno is one of the great US rivalries of all time. They're perfect opponents for each other. That Putski match that Ricky linked to is great. I love the matches with Monsoon & Mascaras. His 1977 is amazing. 

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Great retrospective on Superstar Billy Graham’s career by Jim Cornette and Brian Last. Highly recommended.

I'm not doubting anything about Cornette here, but whoever does the thumbnails for his videos is absolutely not doing him any favors. He could be spitting the 100% God's honest truth and I would think he's a tryhard asshole just on those thumbnails.