Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 6/14 - 6/17 - Yada Yada Punk

Timbo Slice

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved how big the Punk vs Joe matchup felt. Give us a singles match Tony!

Opening promo was really good I thought, you can already tell Punk ain't fucking around this time around and I really liked how he mentioned never losing the belt he won at All Out. I wonder if we get MJF vs Punk III at All In?

Cool to see Blue get a W on her hometown. Willow is such a great babyface too, keep pushing her.

Miro back, does he enter the Owen Hart cup like Hobbs and Starks?

Surprised at how nothing was built for next week though. Sure, some matches will be announced on Dynamite but no angle or hook for next Saturday was kinda weird.

Punk's promo felt weird to me because he was heeling it up for a crowd that he was a face to, but also he's the one that got in his feels repeatedly and made a big scene and then was the one to start the fight, so him talking about the wrestlers being soft was....curious. There are few guys, certainly at the level he's been at, that have been consistently emotionally aggrieved over stupid shit for his entire career, and then making public and professional scenes over them. 

It would make sense to me to make an angle out of that and run Punk as a heel, but I guess that's probably too similar to what MJF is doing.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Punk's promo felt weird to me because he was heeling it up for a crowd that he was a face to, but also he's the one that got in his feels repeatedly and made a big scene and then was the one to start the fight, so him talking about the wrestlers being soft was....curious. There are few guys, certainly at the level he's been at, that have been consistently emotionally aggrieved over stupid shit for his entire career, and then making public and professional scenes over them. 

It would make sense to me to make an angle out of that and run Punk as a heel, but I guess that's probably too similar to what MJF is doing.

You complained for months when Punk was a corny babyface. Now we have full on asshole Punk on some take it our leave it shit and you wasn't feeling it either?

1 minute ago, Jmare007 said:

You complained for months when Punk was a corny babyface. Now we have full on asshole Punk on some take it our leave it shit and you wasn't feeling it either?

I'm a hater. But it was just funny that this guy talking about soft wrestlers is the same guy who completely imploded because a guy said something he didn't like in a promo and led to him threatening to no show a PPV, shooting on TV, a press conference bitch fest about his co-workers, and then throwing the first punch in a fight with co-workers. 

If he's going to do his Bret shit, midas swell get a 1997 Bret run in where he's a face in Chicago and heel everywhere else.

*Welp, I was dead wrong. Punk returned ready to open fire with pipebombs galore. His shirt was a rad tribute to Piper, I might have to order it. Like Bret, Punk has a skill of making these feuds feel extremely personal. If CMFTR vs Elite doesn't happen, that's on Cowboy and the Bucks. We want Punk vs Omega, yet his unresolved issues really remain moreso with Page. Omega has never said anything about Punk publicly. I think the promo made it clear Punk is willing to do business. But I agree with a lot of the points already made here. Why didn't he take the title out of the bag? Tf?  

*As I said earlier, I would've preferred a new voice and/or more color for Collision. KK and Nigel are a bit by the numbers. Is the heel role not a thing anymore in wrestling commentary? Graves is the last one I can think of and he's a face commentator now, too. I think Callis would be great but he's more needed as a manager.  

*Damn, I somehow missed they're doing MJF vs Tanahashi at FD. I would've liked a little bit of build or something for that. Still hyped.

6 hours ago, MLB said:

KK and Nigel are a bit by the numbers. Is the heel role not a thing anymore in wrestling commentary?

Nigel tried a bit of heeling during the Wardlow/Luchasaurus match, but it didn’t really land. I think Nigel just seemed rusty overall, though - he got better as the night went on. KK isn’t Excalibur, but he’s solid. Ross was completely out to lunch, but that’s been the case for him for a year or two now and he was only around for the main event. As it is, I like the commentary team and overall presentation.

Ultimately, Collision was the best bit of TV they’ve done in a LONG time, even since before Brawl Out. From top to bottom, the whole thing felt distinct from the rest of AEW in a way that was really refreshing; everybody seemed energized. Andrade, in particular, looked the best that he’s ever looked in AEW and, honestly, even better than he was at the end of his WWE stint. Punk will get the lion’s share of the attention (and deservedly so), but getting Andrade “relaunched” could end up being the biggest win out of this inaugural episode.

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

I’d imagine he can’t show the title on TV due to legal ramifications (which again, is the Flair Real World Champ thing blurred out on television) so this is just a well done homage to the Flair WWF intro. 

What legal sense would it make for there to be some kind of ramification of a guy showing the AEW Championship on AEW TV when they've done multiple people with the same belt multiple times

It's been long established that championship belts are the intellectual property of the promotion. What possible legal issues could there be with having an AEW belt on AEW TV? Also, Shawn Michaels carried around the old Intercontinental belt during the buildup to the WM10 ladder match. In fact, maybe what's this is all about. Punk has gotten tired of doing Bret tributes, so he's decided to do Shawn tributes for a while.

1 hour ago, The Man in Blak said:

Ultimately, Collision was the best bit of TV they’ve done in a LONG time, even since before Brawl Out. From top to bottom, the whole thing felt distinct from the rest of AEW in a way that was really refreshing; everybody seemed energized. Andrade, in particular, looked the best that he’s ever looked in AEW and, honestly, even better than he was at the end of his WWE stint. Punk will get the lion’s share of the attention (and deservedly so), but getting Andrade “relaunched” could end up being the biggest win out of this inaugural episode.

Strongly agree. I really enjoyed this show, much more than I have enjoyed Dynamite in quite a while. The Andrade/Mathews match was great…I honestly didn’t know if Andrade had that kind of match in him still, for him to pull that off in his first match back after a long layoff was very impressive.