Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/14 - For Me It Was Tuesday

Timbo Slice

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things aren't looking good for AEW, let's be honest. Copeland helped stop the bleeding but losing Punk was huge. The loss of Cody, huge. The loss of Jade, huge. TK is getting royally spanked. They've become a very expensive developmental for WWE.

The AEW roster is breaking down. The miles are catching up to Danielson, Moxley and Omega. Cole keeps breaking down. MJF doesn't want to wrestle. Darby is likely to die on Mt. Everest. The Bucks seem bored. ROH is dead. Ospreay is going to bounce. 

Talk me into where this fed is going exactly?

Once again it's apparent that folks either forget (or were never around to see) what it's like when there's two major national promotions on somewhat equal footing. The normal way it goes is while sometimes there's some overlap, normally one swings up and the other swings down.  WWE won't be on fire forever, and interest will dip at some point. AEW will have someone or something catch fire (there's too many talented people there for it not to happen at some point) and interest will rise. The cycle will likely continue forever until either the sun dies or TV networks stop offering billion dollar deals, whichever comes first. 

6 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

Good overall show with one unbelievably horrifyingly bad decision with that roll of quarters with "FRIEDMAN" written on it. They actually took a fucking idea from Bryan Alvarez.

Was waiting for someone to comment on this.

WTF?

2 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Good overall show with one unbelievably horrifyingly bad decision with that roll of quarters with "FRIEDMAN" written on it. They actually took a fucking idea from Bryan Alvarez.

I love how the announcers were trying to frame it as a callback to his promo from a while back about being bullied at school, which would be fine if it wasn't also explicitly established in that same promo WHY he was being bullied.

1 hour ago, MLB said:

Kinda weird the Khans are Muslims and MJF is booked as the top act for playing a devil worshiping, "scumbag" Jew. 

That's kind of gross to even imply that,  there's literally nothing to suggest that either Khan has ever done anything to suggest they have any negative feelings about Jews just because they are Muslims. Tony in particular strikes me as the type who doesn't even think about those kind of things because he spends all his time playing IRL Football Manager and TNM.  Plus even if Shad would happen to feel that way, there's really nothing to suggest he has any role with the company other than being the slightly bemused dad happy that his son's rasslin passion ended up being a nice little moneymaking side hustle. 

Everyone involved will skate until Cornette praises the promo as an example of MJF seeking old-school ethnic babyface heat. Then people will get irate.

(At Cornette, of course. AEW has built up too much good will for anyone to bother holding them to any sort of consistent standard for anything.)

I refuse to believe that this wouldn’t be an ongoing story coming out of WWE TV this week if it had happened on Raw or NXT.

6 hours ago, The Man in Blak said:

Everyone involved will skate until Cornette praises the promo as an example of MJF seeking old-school ethnic babyface heat. Then people will get irate.

(At Cornette, of course. AEW has built up too much good will for anyone to bother holding them to any sort of consistent standard for anything.)

I don't know who you're referring to here because the reaction I've seen to this has been universally negative. The only thing remotely close to a defense is people saying it isn't quite as bad as Christian roasting people's dead relatives.

I refuse to believe that this wouldn’t be an ongoing story coming out of WWE TV this week if it had happened on Raw or NXT.

Doubtful. There might be momentary uproar in some circles, but most of the world would shrug their shoulders and figure that's just what WWE does.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

I love how the announcers were trying to frame it as a callback to his promo from a while back about being bullied at school, which would be fine if it wasn't also explicitly established in that same promo WHY he was being bullied.

Yeah, oddly, I thought they'd have been better letting it be quieter. It's Juice's deal, Max has talked about it - let it be based on that. It gets weirder when you call out the reference.

I can't get the first part of @NintendoLogic's post to quote for me for some reason, but I'll elaborate further since I was unnecessarily terse in my first post.

There are multiple lines to cross when it comes to something like this: you can have an angle that's just bad or ineffective from a creative standpoint...and then you can have an angle that's irresponsible. I've generally seen more criticism here and elsewhere along the lines of the first case ("they stole an idea from ALVAREZ????") but, even when there's been discussion of the second case, Tony Khan and AEW largely get a pass based on prior good will and/or a presumption of ignorance: the TNM "spreadsheet booking" line (which we've already seen in this thread) is a fairly common defense.

In either case, I feel like discourse glides past the more pertinent issue that Tony Khan and AEW as a company are ultimately responsible for the content that they produce. Even if this is ultimately being spurred by MJF -- and even if MJF's heart is in the right place -- the company needs to step in and say "no, there are better ways for us to make this point."

But we'll see what happens, since MJF and AEW are leaning all the way into it: