Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/14 - For Me It Was Tuesday

Timbo Slice

7 hours ago, El-P said:

You've got a point there. :lol: It's like he does not even understand who Nash was referring too back then. Also, Copeland walking around while talking and more often than not just having his back on the hard cam triggers the fuck out of me.  And when Tony or Renee is holding the mic, INTERACT you bunch of dumb fucks, instead of grabbing the mic and telling them to hit the bricks and cut your long-ass promo for 15 minutes like you learn to do "the right way". WWE style is so fucking lame. Just get on with the program already or punch someone in the face backstage and get fired.

I did get a kick out of Myron Reed and Jake Crist being security guards. Maybe they'll work the ROH tapings ? But who was the douchebag in suits ? Just a poorly thought out segment, really, and reeking of WWE-lite (Ricky Starks being the *only* guy of the bunch not coming from WWE too)

I knew that I had recognized Myron & Crist somehow but isn't Myron Reed debuting for Impact soon as part of the Rascalz?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

So, is everyone finally waking up to the fact that Christian was always the better half of Edge & Christian?

No offense, but you realize that talking point has been around for like at least 15 years now ? :lol: 

38 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I knew that I had recognized Myron & Crist somehow but isn't Myron Reed debuting for Impact soon as part of the Rascalz?

Yeah, good call, I heard that too. Good for him, the guy was talented and I would guess he only got better since he was in MLW years ago.

Not gonna defend much of anything Adam Copeland has done since joining AEW as I think he's been fairly underwhelming and I think being in the WWE bubble is the main cause of that. I know in terms of money made and fame and Hall of Fame rings and etc. etc., Christian going to TNA made him look like less of a star for decades...but, boy oh boy, did Christian having to establish himself elsewhere and then re-establish himself on the ECW brand and then continue to toil in Edge's shadow lead to him not only being an all-around better worker and promo, but also a guy that simply knows how to get over as a top guy no matter where you put him. You could insert Christian into just about any wrestling promotion of the past 30 years and I'm convinced he would make it work and get to at least the upper-midcard level. 

Also, people are quick to point out that AEW has "failed" many top talents - but, let's be real here, the veterans/ex-WWE/ex-NXT guys who have gotten over aren't just getting handed better material. They're maximizing their minutes. Samoa Joe, CM Punk, Bryan, Mox, Jericho, Christian, Sting, Billy Gunn, Jarrett, Adam Cole since his comeback, Swerve since he's got his recent groove, FTR have all been successful...Its easy to say, "Well, TK dropped the ball on Aleister Black, Andrade, Miro, Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy, and so forth," but some of those guys have clearly been checked out at times (or, in Jeff's case, beyond checked out). We may bicker about the right or wrong way to use Danielson or whether or not Mox sucks or how tired Jericho's shtick is, but you can't argue the workers themselves been lazy. And, surprise surprise, they're all very over with the AEW crowds. They give a shit or at least fake it very well.

But...bringing it back to Copeland, I think the reason he's had his back turned to the hard camera is because he's used to working in front of arenas that are all-the-way full. He has a natural inclination to want to speak to the fans in attendance and, when you're working RAW and SmackDown and WrestleMania, you're going to see lots of faces in every direction you look. Based on the pictures I've seen floating around the internet, that has not been the case recently for AEW so you have guys "playing" to an empty camera-side. 

Still, the jury is still out on him (for me). I think he's going to really, really have to step it up with his creativity - his in-ring work is actually the least of his issues and that was never even a real strength - and he's going to have to give a shit. On the plus side, I do think he is a legit wrestling fan and wants to do well. I don't think he's pulling a "Booker T-in-TNA" and just there for a check. But you can't come in and not tweak your act a bit. You've got to offer something somewhat new or fresh to make it work. Using lines from late 90s WCW and referencing The Rock is not that.

26 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Christian going to TNA made him look like less of a star for decades...but, boy oh boy, did Christian having to establish himself elsewhere and then re-establish himself on the ECW brand and then continue to toil in Edge's shadow lead to him not only being an all-around better worker and promo, but also a guy that simply knows how to get over as a top guy no matter where you put him.

I never watched his WWECW stuff, I gave up on my WWECW watch years ago before I got to the good parts, but It's striking how much of the current Christian Cage is pretty much the evolution of his TNA character. And really, he's even using his TNA music theme.

Speaking of which, Metalingus doesn't help my perception of Copeland in AEW's. It's a pretty hard reminder of the John Cena days in WWE, the peak of Edge's singles career, and it's also a really shitty stereotypical 00's, behind the time WWE style generic nu-metal.

But...bringing it back to Copeland, I think the reason he's had his back turned to the hard camera is because he's used to working in front of arenas that are all-the-way full. He has a natural inclination to want to speak to the fans in attendance and, when you're working RAW and SmackDown and WrestleMania, you're going to see lots of faces in every direction you look. Based on the pictures I've seen floating around the internet, that has not been the case recently for AEW so you have guys "playing" to an empty camera-side.

Yeah, I've seen this explanation before, but really, he's on TV. Him turning his back on the hard cam makes him look like a complete amateur.

I don't think he's pulling a "Booker T-in-TNA" and just there for a check. But you can't come in and not tweak your act a bit. You've got to offer something somewhat new or fresh to make it work. Using lines from late 90s WCW and referencing The Rock is not that.

Funny thing, I thought Booker T in TNA was not nearly as bad as he was accused of being. Then again I was never very high on Booker to begin with, so maybe there's that too. But he was fairly amusing when he got into full King Booker stuff even in TNA. 

But yeah, the bolded part. Metalingus, doing the exact same maneurisms during your intro you've been doing all the WWE singles career, dropping WWE references likes you're some old guy who starts every sentence with "Back in my days" (you know the kind).... There's something to be said about AEW supposedly being an alternative. Not just "the other big wrestling company", but, an alternative, in that it offers something different to an audience who doesn't care about WWE. And yes, sadly, the audience is much more split with WWE now than it was when it started and when it was hot (hey, wonder if there's a link there... hum...). But still. I know that as someone who DOESN'T CARE about WWE and DOESN'T WANT to watch WWE stuff, this kind of stuff, like I mentioned after the 4th Anniversary show, it a legit put-off. So yeah, jury's still out, but I sure hope the focus gets on White vs MJF as the main event of the next PPV.

Booker still had a fun run in TNA just based on the sheer insanity of his character work. He managed to outdo his King Bookah accent and Black Snow is just absurd.

I doubt Edge, bordering on his 50s, who's spent the past few years trying to have his own epic (those fucking Orton matches, man), and who takes himself way too fucking serious by now, will try to go for anything other than "serious straight shooter"

12 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

(those fucking Orton matches, man), and who takes himself way too fucking serious by now

Oh, you mean having a match named "The Greatest Match Ever", editing galore notwithstanding ? ;)

And I don't even dislike Adam Copeland, apart from the shitty spear and his goofy bulging eyes. I'm fairly indifferent and I think he's one guy who probably has been rather underrated around these part, probably. But I'm just, well, not that interested in watching Adam Copeland in AEW (or Adam Copeland period). Randy Orton playing full fledge entitled "WWE LIFER" gimmick, complete with total douchebagy attitude and Mick Foley anti-hardcore style trolling kinda in-ring work would have been a whole lot more interesting actually.

The attitude toward Copeland from the established AEW stars should be "Hey, welcome to the real deal, your status don't mean shit in here, and we wrestle on another level entirely, do you think you can hang with us, so-called legend ?". That's how AEW should positioned itself, always, as the realest place (and the coolest place). 

10 hours ago, El-P said:

I gotta say this about Copeland, he moves quite allright for his age. I never realized before he was ten years older than his tag partner. Never realized he was that much older than Jericho too, that's kinda odd. He's like, almost the same age as Sting then. Something is not adding up... Oh wait, I'me being told he's actually 49. Holy fuck. That's why it's better to be ugly than good looking, at least it last forever. Time is a bitch, uh ?

He's always kind of been a different looking dude tho. I don't know if I'd call him ugly because that seems mean, but he's not exactly ever been heartthrob material (other than that brief time after he debuted as hot vampire guy). 

45 minutes ago, sek69 said:

He's always kind of been a different looking dude tho. I don't know if I'd call him ugly because that seems mean, but he's not exactly ever been heartthrob material (other than that brief time after he debuted as hot vampire guy). 

All that HGH he did years ago didn’t help him much in the looks department, either. Nothing like a grossly distended cranium to make the ladies swoon. Just ask Barry Bonds or Robbie Lawler.

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

Man the majority of Edge's top run when not working with Cena was hard came side is empty arenas. Not to mention, he's been on TV for a company that is extremely focused on making sure you are facing hard cam at all times for 25 years, back to the camera should be antithetical to all of his instincts. 

10 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Most of PWO already knew that. You should try this shtick on Twitter if what you want is people arguing with you :lol:

Don't wish that on me! I'm on Twitter, but it gets worse every day - not that it was ever good.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

No offense, but you realize that talking point has been around for like at least 15 years now ? :lol: 

Not the vibe I got when I was the lone Christian defender on PWO. :P How quickly we all forget... But Pepperidge Farm remembers, and so does @C.S.B)

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

Not the vibe I got when I was the lone Christian defender on PWO. :P How quickly we all forget... But Pepperidge Farm remembers, and so does @C.S.B)

Christian has been a longtime board favorite, and I honestly can't remember anyone here ever arguing in earnest that Edge was better. The days of you being the board's lone Christian advocate are a figment of your imagination.

Anyway, if you all think Edge's promos are interminable now, wait until he turns heel. Remember the mountain of omnipotence? Imagine that unfiltered and unedited.

This is what is being talked about :

f8r35h7xaaasohw.webp

An R-Rated Rebuttal ? What is he gonna do ? Say "shit, fuck, cunt, ass" and expose his dick ? This kind of gimmicky verbiage is exactly what you'd expect in WWE. Plus, what does R-Rated Superstar means in 2023 ? That came from the angle with Lita, right, when they were making out in a bed (didn't Lita said years later that she felt uncomfortable doing it too ?) 15 years ago. What is R-Rated about Adam Copeland in 2023 ? What does this means ? Probably more long-ass promo showing your ass to the hard-cam. Oh, well. 

I don't care as long as I get Omega vs Fletcher and Penta vs White. And Toni Storm in hopefully a good segment.
Oh, and Nick Wayne's Mom too. I kinda like Nick Wayne's Mom. And I like that she's called Nick Wayne's Mom.

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

LMAO, the only thing that happened was you saying Christian was a key/central/pillar figure (or whatever word you use) in the Attitude Era. No one who is serious in PWO has ever argued that Christian isn't a great professional wrestler and certainly I haven't seen no damn argument about Edge being better than him.

42 minutes ago, El-P said:

This is what is being talked about :

f8r35h7xaaasohw.webp

An R-Rated Rebuttal ? What is he gonna do ? Say "shit, fuck, cunt, ass" and expose his dick ? This kind of gimmicky verbiage is exactly what you'd expect in WWE. Plus, what does R-Rated Superstar means in 2023 ? That came from the angle with Lita, right, when they were making out in a bed (didn't Lita said years later that she felt uncomfortable doing it too ?) 15 years ago. What is R-Rated about Adam Copeland in 2023 ? What does this means ? Probably more long-ass promo showing your ass to the hard-cam. Oh, well. 

The only thing it means it's "he's Edge but we can't say that name. Remember he's the Rated R Superstar too?!?".

It's a gimmick he can't pull off in 2023 and even if it was possible, Copeland at 49 years old, with a wife and kids, ain't gonna be the one doing shocking shit on TV to get some ratings.

I understand why he's promoted that way, they want the familiarity of the name but it quickly becomes an empty nickname. And so far, it's been pretty evident fans do not care to tune in, nor buy tickets, to watch Copeland in AEW so the Rated R stuff ain't making a lick of a difference.

15 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

The only thing it means it's "he's Edge but we can't say that name. Remember he's the Rated R Superstar too?!?".

While they're at it, they should go straight into WCW classics and find ridiculous ways to call him Edge, as was done with Ray Traylor when he was The Boss. "That's a big Boss, man !" 

What's hilarious about this "R-Rated Rebuttal" is that it is EXACTLY the same kind of verbiage WWE would use. He's using the same fucking song, the same attire, everything's the same. It's honestly shocking. The only thing he changed was his name, and that's the one thing I wish he'd kept. Adam Copeland is a very meh name and they already got two other Adams right now.