Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/14 - For Me It Was Tuesday

Timbo Slice

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More late WCW/TNA feel, with references to WWE as where the huge stars are/were. CM Punk kinda did it too at one point and it was bad also.

This is why WWE lifers aren't a very good idea either way you slice it. I had no preconceived feelings either negative or positive about Copeland showing up, but between the spotlight being put on a feud between him and Christian, which reminds everyone that "Hey, these guys were big during the Attitude Era 25 years ago" and stuff like this (beautiful combo of Kevin Nash idiotic phrasing and namedropping the biggest star in the world who was just on WWE TV a few weeks back), I feel AEW gets in a very dangerous path now, and something I'm really not interested in. I feel AEW has officially entered the "These guys used to be in WWE" phase, and this is exactly what they should have avoided, the least of which right now. Hopefully they correct this trajectory very fast.

That kind of thing has been Edge's thing really since the start of his first solo run. It's never been a particularly good thing, but this one seemed extra "fuck this guy" in tone for whatever reason.

My fear has someone calling Ricky "Enzo" and killing that man's career on the spot. Edge seems like the guy who might do that if they're put in a few promos together.

I'm eagerly waiting for the "These young workers don't know how to be stars and don't listen to advices" interview, which will sent all the old geezers to heavens they can't reach anymore through more healthy means.

I wonder if, ironically enough, Adam Copeland will end up being the beginning of the end for me and AEW. Nah. As long as Omega, White, Danielson, the Bucks, FTR and the rest of the crew delivers bangers after bangers, I'm still there. But I've never felt so much TNA vibes before, not even close. And I don't mean post 2018 IMPACT. I mean TNA. You don't want a special reviewing thread on PWO from me, Coach TK, do ya ? 

I have been rewatching a lot of WCW. Lately, a lot of 1995 & 1996. Admittedly, it's not great. Especially 1995. Almost every main event is a combination of Hogan, Sting, Flair & Arn Anderson & the whole shows are just people talking about Hogan. What I really noticed though, is that there are SO MANY MORE ex-WWF people than I realized. The entire show feels like "hey, remember me?" with just a couple WCW people thrown in. Of course there's Hogan, Savage & later Hall & Nash. There's also I.R.S. & Ted DiBiase, The Big Bossman, Earthquake, Beefcake, Bobby Heenan, Mean Gene, Rick Martel, The One Man Gang, Jim Neidhart, The British Bulldog... there's way too many to name them all. Even if a lot of guys worked elsewhere or bounced around like The Nasty Boys or The Steiners, they still feel like they're fresh off WWF TV.

AEW is feeling like that to me. It's not just the active wrestlers but all up & down the card of talent with people like Justin Roberts & Renee Young. Or commentators like Jim Ross & Taz. They have Edge & Christian now. They brought in The Big Show & Mark Henry for... reasons. Jericho & Moxley were really their first main event guys on the first PPV. Billy Gunn, Paige, Cesaro, Jack Swagger, The Hardy Boys, Aleister Black, Rusev, etc. They have a ton of talent & a lot of people that worked at a lot of places but even a guy like Bryan Danielson a lot of people will know from WWE TV not everything else he did. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's an observation.

Before the nWo angle got super over, WCW was the pits & even the nWo angle really only gave them like two years of hot TV. AEW doesn't have an nWo angle & like @El-P mentioned, it's starting to give TNA vibes. TNA had a lot of talent too & had a lot of good matches, but it was always pretty much a laughing stock to wrestling fans online. AEW has a ton of talent & are capable of having a lot of good matches too but there's not an angle or story to sink your teeth into & it's a lot of matches that happen just because "wrestler A is good & wrestler B is good, so this should be good" like what Ring of Honor used to do in the early 2000's & all that shit just started to blend together.

When AEW started, it was Cody Rhodes & The Elite wanting to start something new. It's no longer something new & now it's morphing into something I don't think it was ever intended to be which is the dreaded "WWE lite." Right now, WWE feels strong & I think it is in large part due to the Bloodline storyline. AEW lost Cody Rhodes & now Jade Cargill. I think it's time they start trying to use & make their own guys more, like they've done with Darby or even having Powerhouse Hobbs cripple Jericho like he just did. That's what they should be doing. MJF, Orange Cassidy, Ricky Starks, The Acclaimed, all great things AEW has done or is doing but like Edge coming out & blasting Starks on TV? Bad look. Also Tony Khan needs to not be on TV, at all, ever - even in post show press conferences. I wouldn't have anyone reference him on the show ever either & he should get off of Twitter/X.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Edge got heated at Ricky's "Over the Edge" comment which (unintentially I'm sure) was the name of the PPV where Owen died. 

Could be as simple as Edge Copeland worrying that he'll get in legal hot water - or, worse, have the dreaded HEAT with his former employer - for skirting WWE intellectual property, even though Starks said it.

So apparently Edge (I'll call him by his real name eventually but it still feels weird not to call him Edge)  dropping the "vanilla midget" line was unplanned so Ricky's line was too. If I had to guess, I'd wager that Ricky wasn't even thinking about it that way and just wanted to get in a "lol I said edge" shot and accidently triggering Ed.. *ahem* Adam. 

Skye Black Hart. Would be fitting. I love this angle though, and I've been loving to see Skye Blue grow from that enhancement talent back in the Daily's Place days to where she is now, she has improved a whole lot. That House of Black mist really is working.

Also, Willie Mack on TV makes me happy. So does old-ass Chris Daniels, always looking good.

9 minutes ago, MoS said:

Lol at Copeland calling someone who is a better promo already than Copeland has ever been "vanilla"

You've got a point there. :lol: It's like he does not even understand who Nash was referring too back then. Also, Copeland walking around while talking and more often than not just having his back on the hard cam triggers the fuck out of me.  And when Tony or Renee is holding the mic, INTERACT you bunch of dumb fucks, instead of grabbing the mic and telling them to hit the bricks and cut your long-ass promo for 15 minutes like you learn to do "the right way". WWE style is so fucking lame. Just get on with the program already or punch someone in the face backstage and get fired.

I did get a kick out of Myron Reed and Jake Crist being security guards. Maybe they'll work the ROH tapings ? But who was the douchebag in suits ? Just a poorly thought out segment, really, and reeking of WWE-lite (Ricky Starks being the *only* guy of the bunch not coming from WWE too)

It looks like Ricky's bug eyes comment caught Edge flat-footed. He likely figured he had to respond because his character would look like a chump if he just stood there and took it and things heated up from there. If he really was upset by the "over the edge" line, that's honestly a bit weird. I'm sure Owen's death was a traumatic experience, but that's a common enough phrase that you should probably seek therapy if hearing it in any context is going to set you off.

I gotta say this about Copeland, he moves quite allright for his age. I never realized before he was ten years older than his tag partner. Never realized he was that much older than Jericho too, that's kinda odd. He's like, almost the same age as Sting then. Something is not adding up... Oh wait, I'me being told he's actually 49. Holy fuck. That's why it's better to be ugly than good looking, at least it last forever. Time is a bitch, uh ?

lmao that ringside news article is total trash. They quote dave saying

“It was awkward. I mean, it was very clear that something got started, and they were, at that point it was not scripted. One of them got a little bit mad and the other one got mad back, I mean, you can make it work, there’s nothing wrong with it, but it wasn’t smooth, I was like ‘where is this going?’ They’re professionals, and they finished it.”

“You know, it was that vanilla midget line, like wow, what a terrible line, you know what I mean? It was just brutal.”

Which is just an observation about what happened on tv. The headline is just clickbait meant to drive engagement. Edge does need to stop doing these super long talking segments because i hate them. The wrestling was really good on Collison just need a bit more of it.