Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 10/18-10/21 Edge Mysterio edition

sek69

On 10/18/2023 at 8:49 PM, sek69 said:

Doing the Rey/Dom "I won't fight you" deal with Christian, I see you Adam. 

I see it more as doing the Bret/Owen thing.

White-O giving Penta his best singles match in AEW. Would really like to see White take the belt off of MJF and then MJF do some weird love rectangle with Cole/Strong/Caster.

After the last two weeks, this has been a great rebound episode, which felt like what AEW should be.

The Adam Copeland bit was good I thought, and it did not take the focus out of the Nick Wayne/Christian vs Darby Allin feud later on. This is absolutely inspired by Owen/Bret, with the big brother/little brother kinda relationship, one having been more successful than the other and always there for him, and the little brother being a jealous and bitter little shit was is only now having his share of big time success. As long as we're not going into "Adam Copeland is bigger than anyone in AEW" mode or that this feud takes the main focus of the show, why not if they do it in a compelling way (and there's more than enough real life stuff to make it that way).

A Wardlow heel turn is the only thing that may made me care a bit about this guy. Schiavone is so valuable in that it's so easy to use him to get heat. He's so beloved, anyone treating him poorly will get a big reaction. Then again, when you have Lance Archer on the same show (I hope it wasn't just a one off to please the Texas crowd), I just wonder why the hell are we even talking about Wardlow in the first place and why he has been pushed and protected like he has, when much better monster workers have been around.

The rest of the show was excellent, with three bangers (White/Penta, Shida/Sakura, Omega/Fletcher), very good interview segment (Callis), the usual fun Cole/Neck Strong/Kingdom vignette, a very fun Battle Royal at the end with good booking (the use of Dustin, the focus on Dany Garcia's eventual babyface turn, the Caster/Juice rivalry for the ring), a pretty fun Toni Storm vignette (they sure do love that pearl necklace joke, Maria Kanellis did it on ROH too), an excellent angle with Darby, Nick Wayne and his mom, respectfully and all (damn, they should go straight into TeleNovela shit in term of directing in the future, yeah, let's pick up stuff from Lucha Underground !) and of course the stuff no one is talking about and I'm baffled, Sting announcing his retirement (gotta love the reaction to Hogan's name, not so much the reaction to Flair's), which they should make the biggest event possible.

Dropping the roll of coins immediately was wise. And yeah, Jay White is absolutely the guy who should take the belt away from MJF. Cole was the right choice before, but there's no telling when he's coming back, again, and how he's gonna be doing in the long run with such a banged up body. White is a long term plan, he's a brilliant worker, and he's gotta be established as a main-event player. A heel run with him on top would be so great. I do enjoy a lot the fact MJF sees it coming from everywhere, White, Joe, Omega. I prefer when characters are not stuck in only their own little world and that there is an entire ecosystem with interactions from different people and crews together, that's one thing that fun was about WCW at its peak too.

Instead of Adam Copeland, they could have given a name with the first name Edward and the last name starting with a J, then he could have been like Ed Jackson, or Ed James or something. That would have been funny.

How come Maria Kanelis isn't with The Kingdom anyway? I am kind of hoping that when Adam Cole returns he turns heel and joins The Kingdom and then we can see Taven and Bennett have more tag matches in AEW.

I have hated the pretapes but the bongo trapt was really funny.

22 hours ago, TheDuke said:

How come Maria Kanelis isn't with The Kingdom anyway? I am kind of hoping that when Adam Cole returns he turns heel and joins The Kingdom and then we can see Taven and Bennett have more tag matches in AEW.

I believe Maria is managing some milf hunters in ROH

On 10/20/2023 at 8:55 AM, El-P said:

Dropping the roll of coins immediately was wise. And yeah, Jay White is absolutely the guy who should take the belt away from MJF. Cole was the right choice before, but there's no telling when he's coming back, again, and how he's gonna be doing in the long run with such a banged up body. White is a long term plan, he's a brilliant worker, and he's gotta be established as a main-event player. A heel run with him on top would be so great. I do enjoy a lot the fact MJF sees it coming from everywhere, White, Joe, Omega. I prefer when characters are not stuck in only their own little world and that there is an entire ecosystem with interactions from different people and crews together, that's one thing that fun was about WCW at its peak too.

I was not expecting the Kenny MJF interaction and im having a hard time picturing them wrestling together but Kenny is the best so it will be good!

37 minutes ago, Mr Wrestling 2000 said:

I believe Maria is managing some milf hunters in ROH

It's obvious from interviews even before she got in AEW that she's very attached to ROH, and it's possible she asked to be used over there to help get some talent over. I really enjoy the dynamics between her, Cole Karter (ponder that for a second, she makes me care about Kole Carter, who admittedly has a great slapable face, and the "I love hot moms" T-shirt makes him so obviously over-the-top douchebaggy) and Griff Garrison. I would love her to be involved with the OGK thingy going on though. Hopefully eventually she does.

Jeff Jarrett is having one of the best stints of his entire career, and maybe the most plain fun and absurd. Not everything hits the mark (the ridiculous sponsored deal for Texas Chainsaw Massacre was "so bad it's good" level), but his entire group (which really digs deep on the TNA roots, which is kinda nice tbh) has just been mostly a hit.

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Whoa, Haley J gets rejected by WWE after flunking her medical and TK grabs her up? Or maybe he’s just using her as enhancement talent, I guess…based on that match.

She needed extra paperwork or something from her doctor to get cleared because she has epilepsy. It seems like WWE more or less told her they will bring her in once she gets that cleared up, so I guess Tony was just giving her some work in the meantime?

On 10/22/2023 at 6:41 AM, sek69 said:

She needed extra paperwork or something from her doctor to get cleared because she has epilepsy. It seems like WWE more or less told her they will bring her in once she gets that cleared up, so I guess Tony was just giving her some work in the meantime?

If I though that situation was getting cleared up anytime soon I would not be signing on for losing squash matches on AEW TV...

Lexy Nair is such a treasure. Best backstage interviewer in eons, and that's because she displays so much character and actually react organically to what happens. Above everything, the fact she is more often than not on the verge of cracking up makes her even more fun to watch. Hopefully AEW does what they have to to keep her, because she's one non-wrestler I could see WWE jumping on as soon as they can. Plus she has so much potential as a performer too, as showed by the on-going Minions-in-training angle with Athena & Billie in ROH. Yep, she's a keeper.