Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) The streak wasn't really played up at all in 2001.

(2) WWE loves to job wrestlers in their hometowns.

(3) Undertaker was billed from Death Valley.

1) It was known he was undefeated in 2001- I remember they first mentioned it at Wrestlemania XI in fact. Of course, it's not as bad as today, which is why I hate the streak.

2) But it's the Undertaker, and they were also turning Austin that night.

3) When he came back as Biker Taker, he was billed as being from Houston.

I'm still curious whether HBK costing Taker the match is true

From F4W 4/16/01:

The tentative idea for his month’s PPV is to headline with Steve Austin & Triple H vs. Undertaker & Kane. The original plan was for Shawn Michaels to interfere in Hunter’s bout at Mania and cost him the match. That would have likely lead to Hunter vs. Shawn and Austin vs. Undertaker as the top two matches on this show, but everyone said the way it worked out with Michaels gone was much better. As far as Michaels is concerned, he appears to be screwed. There has been absolutely no talk at all of bringing him back at this point, and there is a chance he’s done for good in wrestling. He might have had a clause built into his newest contract which would allow the WWF to release him over a situation like this, in which case he’d be up a creek since there aren’t any other viable options with McMahon controlling the entire US scene. I’m not even sure if heavy-duty groveling would help at this point, since he’d been given chance after chance in the past, and then, after plans had been made to promote his big comeback, he screwed up again.

Guest LShunter

I was always under the impression that the original plan for Wrestlemania X-7 was for Triple H vs Shawn Michaels with Triple H going over, but Shawn was messed up backstage at Raw one night (possibly around the time of the WCW simulcast) and the match was changed to Triple H vs The Undertaker with Undertaker going over. I also remember this apparently led to a bit of friction between Triple H and Shawn.

Anybody else remember this, or am I just making shit up?

"If you could pick one guy who could end the streak of The Undertaker at this years Wrestlemania who would it be and why?"

I don’t think there’s any value in ending the streak at this point, but if you HAD to give the win to someone, the only logical choice is John Cena.

Yeah! Take the one guy who doesn't need any help getting over, and give him the win! Anything else is just dumb.

On the subject of the drugs, there was shall we say a lengthy list of notes from the legal department that drastically altered the tone of certain passages from the time I wrote to the book to the time it hit shelves. We were quite surprised at how conservatively the legal department for the publisher wanted to play it when broaching that subject, and any time the topic was “such and such was on such and such” I had to make sure I either rewrote it or had documented evidence, to the point where I couldn’t even make my usual jokes about roided wrestlers or certain people smoking crack without getting a page of notes. It made my head hurt, frankly.

Damn legal department, tryin' to stop the SmarK from so-called "slander." If he wants to say Tammy Sytch was addicted to crack, then dammit, who are these lame-o's to stop him?

• 4 weeks later...

This is an important date for me, because this would be my 12th birthday, which resulted in my parents renting Wrestlemania 2 for the party and turning me into a lifelong fan.

He's said several times before that it was Orndorff turning on Hogan that turned him into a huge fan, which was 2 or 3 months after Wrestlemania 2. He can't even keep his own memories straight, and people are supposed to trust him as an authority?

His review of the 9/12/87 Boston house show has some classic SKeith misinformation, as he states the Hercules-Davey Boy match was due to Dynamite Kid no-showing for reasons unknown and robbed the world of a Harts-Bulldogs match since they ended up defending the tag belts against the unlikely duo of Sika and Mr. Fuji.

Of course none of that is remotely true, since Dynamite was dealing with the back injury at that time and a five minute search on Graham Cawthon's site informs you that Mr. Fuji was subbing for Kamala that night.

What's especially sloppy about that is A. Scooter's a fan of all things Hart and or Stampede related so surely he knew why Dynamite wasn't there and B. He's pimped Graham's site before so he's clearly aware of it's existence and how simple it would have been to find out who Fuji was subbing for (as I did when I was watching and wondered who was supposed to be in that match).

This is an important date for me, because this would be my 12th birthday, which resulted in my parents renting Wrestlemania 2 for the party and turning me into a lifelong fan.

He's said several times before that it was Orndorff turning on Hogan that turned him into a huge fan, which was 2 or 3 months after Wrestlemania 2. He can't even keep his own memories straight, and people are supposed to trust him as an authority?

Erm ... he says they rented WM2, not took him to watch the event. What's so hard to believe that they may have rented the video cassette months after the event?

Googling shows that the date that Keith is speaking about is August 30th, 1986. Orndorff turned on Hogan two months prior. Maybe that got him originally into wrestling, causing his parents to think of renting WM2 for the party as a good idea, and this sealed the deal for his fandom.

The silly part about the whole "Flair won't put over Luger" story is that it wasn't so much Luger that was the issue with Flair in 1991 as it was that Jim Herd wanted Flair to take a large pay cut.

And prior to that, it was more that Flair believed in Sting as the guy to take the NWA title from him when others pushed for Luger (and if I'm not mistaken, Jim Crockett was the biggest proponent of Luger getting the belt).

But regardless of Flair's issues with Luger, I would argue that while Luger wasn't ready to hold the NWA's top title in 1988, he certainly was in 1991.

We need to remember that Ric had more than a full year left on his contract. It *wasn't* expiring.

Ric saw the handwriting on Herd's wall: Ric would be getting moved down on the cards. It was entirely possible that when his contract would come time to expire that he would no longer be in position to leverage a good deal. And at the time, he had a helluva $$$ deal with WCW.

So he was looking for an early *extension* before he risked moving down the card.

That is what Herd was "lowballing" him on.

Ric tried to play hardball by holding up dropping the title at the Bash to Luger, which was the original plan, in turn for getting an extension.

Herd didn't go for it, and tried to move up Flair dropping the title to Barry at a taping *before* the Bash, which the pretty clear plan for Barry to inturn drop it to Luger at the Bash.

Ric didn't like that either.

Hence Ric got "fired", and all that other bullshit over whether he was or wasn't fired.

But in the end, Ric basically wanted the biggest payday in history up to that point to drop the title - a multi-year extension of a contract that already had a year left on it. I'd have to go back to look through the WON again from back then to see how much per year he wanted on the extension (and how much he turned down for the "lowball" offer), but I think it would be up over a million to drop the title.

Ric did have the contractual right to say "no". He had used it before, back in March 1990, to say no to dropping the title to Lex at a Chicago house show. And Herd clearly was a prick.

But Ric's not a saint in this. He was holding the company up for a big contract extension even while having a year left on his contract.

John

Guest LShunter

From Scott's recent review of the IC title DVD:

Ted DiBiase vs Pat Patterson

Dammit, I was hoping for footage of that tournament Patterson won, where he unified the North American and South American titles. Since Dibiase was the North American champion and dropped it to Pat, this is close enough, I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that "tournament in Rio di Janero" never actually happen?

Guest LShunter

Yeah, I thought that he'd previously acknowledged that too. I didn't think he was just being subtle this time because of the second line of the match review, but he probably is.

• 3 weeks later...