Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the claim Russo made $2.5 million a year, I'm sure someone must intentionally feed him BS just for kicks or something.

I have since learned that Scott frequently lurks at TSM, perhaps looking for material to crib from for his reviews. The $2.5 million figure was mentioned at TSM shortly before that rant went up, and that's likely where it came from.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/video_re...-Of-The-90s.htm

I forgot how poor this list was until I saw it again this morning.

There's several matches he rated ****1/2 or higher that weren't mentioned there, meaning that in the process of producing a list he spent lots of time writing up and hyping he didn't even get it right BY HIS OWN STANDARDS.

Piper’s Pit! Roddy relates the tale of St. Patrick’s Day and how they used to chase the snakes out of Ireland. Is that where the whole Whacking Day gag came from?

To quote Booker T, tell me he didn't just say that.

I know there might be some racial overtones, but it's a Simpsons reference and having seen the episode, it's pretty innocent.

I wasn't even thinking of the racial overtones, it was more like "please don't tell me a Roddy Piper promo is the first time he's heard the story of St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland".

Then again, I'm Irish so maybe that isn't as widespread a story as I think it is since I heard it a lot growing up.

I've got some Irish heritage too, and would've never heard the story if I didn't used to be an obsessive reader when I was a kid, so I learned about St. Paddy in between Finn MacCool and Nessie. It's not a commonly known legend. But how's what he said supposed to be some kind of racist slur?

It's not supposed to be racist (unless the Simpsons episode implies it, I've never seen it), just somewhat surprising and funny that he didn't know the origin of St. Patricks Day. I learned about it when I was in elementary school, but I lived in a town with a lot of Irish people and heritiage, so I sort of took it for granted that it was fairly well known.

Mine is here:

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/Bestof90s/jdwwcwballot.html

I'm loathed to actually read it and instead will just do the old Right-Click, Copy & Paste. It's probably as embarassing as all hell.

John

Mine is here:

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/Bestof90s/jdwwcwballot.html

I'm loathed to actually read it and instead will just do the old Right-Click, Copy & Paste. It's probably as embarassing as all hell.

John

* Ric Flair vs. Vader - Starrcade '93 (12/27/93 - World Title)

Probably the most overrated match of the decade.

For fucks sake, it's not just me then.

This match is an abortion. I'm stunned how much praise it still pulls in to this day.

Can't say that I agree. I absolutely loved Flair vs Vader and thought it was one of the best WCW matches of the 90s.

That reminds me that a lot of wrestling is opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with Keith's WCW list. It's what he likes and they're pretty much all good matches which he and the fans enjoyed.

Also:

2) What do you think accounts for the move from eye candy to more of an emphasis

on athleticism and why did it happen (if you think it has)?

In fact I think it’s the opposite. If you’re talking in-ring product (which you seem to be), 70s and 80s women were selected on the basis of ability

Yes, in the Moolah era, where everyone was trained to work the same hair-mare match by Moolah, women's wrestling was based on ability. Plus, Wendi Richter was given her push because she was considered the best looking Moolah trainee. The only period where this could even arguably be true was when Glamour Girls-Jumping Bomb Angels was the main women's program in the WWF.

Since Scoots reposts all his past WM rants this time of year, I found some more classic views on women wrestling in the WM X-8 rant:

Butterfly suplex, but Lita hammers away with the worst punches in wrestling. I don’t get the point of the chicks pulling punches - the phrase "hit like a girl" didn’t exactly come about by accident, you know.

Now I've thought it was kind of lame how the women always throw forearms instead of punches but I never thought the solution should be for them to be shoot punching each other in the face.

Also he's hinting at a WM X-7 (god I'm glad they stopped labeling them X-whatever) rerant, so someone should find the original and see what embarrassing viewpoints he's trying to erase.

Yeah really. It's one thing to redo a review to reflect your own changing opinions, but more often than not his are done to reflect the changing conventional smark wisdom of the day. Heaven forbid anyone ever look back and see he once thought Taker was done for 8 years ago or that he liked HHH. We can't have that now.