Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the people making WWE's WCW DVD were clueless about the promotion's history because all they knew of it was reading "Scott Keith-level historical material" on the internet.

Not the first time Dave's taken a shot on Scott either. I imagine Meltzer got a little tired of having people e-mailing him with "Scott Keith said Vince changed the finish of HBK-Mankind in the middle of the match" or "Scott Keith said Austin was supposed to win the title at Final Four." So for speading misinformation for years, Scott deserves to be mocked. As this 12-page thread shows!

2009-05-13 21:22:06

Yeah, very classy on Dave’s part, especially since I’ve been paying $10 a month for his site ever since it launched. But hey, any press is good press…

I've never gotten this. No...it is not good publicity for Dave Meltzer to say, "This guy has an embarrassingly bad grasp of what happened in WCW." There are times where this cliche might apply, but this sure isn't one of them.

Yeah, very classy on Dave’s part, especially since I’ve been paying $10 a month for his site ever since it launched. But hey, any press is good press…

I've never gotten this. No...it is not good publicity for Dave Meltzer to say, "This guy has an embarrassingly bad grasp of what happened in WCW." There are times where this cliche might apply, but this sure isn't one of them.

That quote is such a perfect synopsis of Keith though, he tries to come off as above it all and still ends up being hopelessly wrong.

Apparently with this:

For some reason, I read this, and I think of the scene from "A Mighty Wind" where they introduce the Fred Willard character, and he's cheerfully talking about his old sitcom and spouting off his old catchphrases, and in the middle of it they cut to a shot of a Variety headline reading "Sitcom Canceled Due to Complete Lack of Interest From Anyone".

For some reason, I read this, and I think of the scene from "A Mighty Wind" where they introduce the Fred Willard character, and he's cheerfully talking about his old sitcom and spouting off his old catchphrases, and in the middle of it they cut to a shot of a Variety headline reading "Sitcom Canceled Due to Complete Lack of Interest From Anyone".

"I've got a widdle wed wagon. . ."

"I've got a widdle wed wagon. . ."

Dave should stop being mean to Scott Keith because he's just twying to do his wooooooooorrrrk!

Got a nice chuckle of Scott comparing the WWE-Denver situation to the "potential" situation of the Chicago Blackhawks hosting Game 1 of the NHL West finals on Sunday fucking up things with the PPV, even though the Blackhawks play at the United Centre and not the Rosemont.

Got a nice chuckle of Scott comparing the WWE-Denver situation to the "potential" situation of the Chicago Blackhawks hosting Game 1 of the NHL West finals on Sunday fucking up things with the PPV, even though the Blackhawks play at the United Centre and not the Rosemont.

There's a bigger chuckle in the Comments as Scott tries to explain that he really meant the entire Rosemont crowd would be scoreboard-watching instead of paying attention to the matches.

There's a bigger chuckle in the Comments as Scott tries to explain that he really meant the entire Rosemont crowd would be scoreboard-watching instead of paying attention to the matches.

That's awesome. And even than his "Classy Meltzer" comment from last week.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, I thought Keith's earlier stuff with Coliseum Video rants were fine because his poking fun at wrestlers and matches was actually funny. His latter stuff was where he started going overboard.

And I sure seem to recall a lot of people referring to, for example, Junkyard Dog as "Junkfood Dog." In fact, I recall Dave Meltzer using that name at one point.

In response to someone sending a YouTube link to the Larry Z commercial for Morphoplex where he denounces steroid use:

Really, unless they can come up with another supplement that can deliver the same “look” and style of physique that steroids can, only genetic freaks like John Cena can get away with not using them on the way to the top. Let’s be totally honest here, steroids alone are not the main problem, it’s the vicious cycle of injuries and painkillers that are really crippling the industry. Just look at Ken Kennedy. Steroids enlarging the heart and causing heart attacks might kill individuals, but guys jumping off ladders and then taking bottles of Oxycontin are the larger-scale problem. Either way, the solution is not whatever stupid ICOPro supplement Larry is shilling. But you knew that.

Once again all the time honored Scooter techniques are apparent:

1. Ignoring the obvious and believing John Cena is 100% clean and just a genetic freak (who happens to get the same kind of muscle tears as users of products that artificially inflate muscles).

2. Missing the forest for the trees by stating injuries are a bigger problem in wrestling than steroids. Yes, guys get hurt on bumps and falling off ladders and what have you, but most of the main eventers that have missed significant time did so because of muscle tears that are a almost always a sign of some kind of muscle enhancement.

3. He could defend it as a generic term rather than a specific name, but continually referring to "steroids" confuses the issue since most users in tested sports stopped using actual steroids in the late 80s/early 90s/whenever their sport started getting really good at testing. Most big name users switched to growth hormone, which is why no one gets caught failing for actual enhancers in baseball and why there's so many heart failure deaths in wrestling. It's also why most wrestlers can honestly say they don't do actual steroids, they just have more hormones in their medicine cabinet than a person going through gender reassignment.

4. Dismissive smarter-than-the-room comment at the the end, as if it was a waste of his time to even respond to the guy.

Yes, let's just look at Ken Kennedy a guy who suffered a serious latissimus dorsi muscle tear in December 2005, a slight triceps muscle tear in May 2007 and a torn labrum in the summer of 2008. Obviously there is no correlation between a "vicious cycle of injuries" and steroids, so it must be that one ladder match Mr. Kennedy did during his WWE career that caused his downfall.

Keith brings up a strong point. Overall, it can be said that painkillers and injuries are a worse problem than steroids.

It also seems that Painkillers + injuries + other drugs + steroids = Doomsday

People also use steroids to recover from injuries and shorten recovery time. Yes, they can also help cause muscle tears but they don't automatically make them either. Nothing is in shades of black and white. It's all grey and you have to factor in a ton of different factors when discussing this matter.

Injuries per se really aren't the problem. Wrestlers are inevitably going to get hurt seriously from time to time, no matter how conservative the wrestling style or how hard the schedule is. The problem is the pressure to work hurt or rush back from serious injuries, which leads to the abuse of painkillers and using short cuts like steroids to aid the healing process.

Sek was quite right to lampoon Scott's post. It isn't a strong point to note that painkillers and injuries are a worse problem than steroids, as most people readily acknowledge that. Trying to use Ken Kennedy to prove that point is dumb when he's a known steroid abuser and all of his major injuries have been some form of muscle tear, something that is highly unlikely to be a coincidence. Saying the larger scale problem is "guys jumping off ladders and then taking bottles of Oxycontin" is also dumb, as plenty of people had pain pill problems who never jumped off ladders or fell off cages, and there really isn't much ladder jumping going on in WWE today. It isn't 1999 or 2000 anymore when that point would hold more true.

I don't think there's a need for a debate over which is a bigger problem in wrestling between performance enhancing drugs and painkillers. Both are equally big problems, sometimes among the same people. The style has been toned down, without a doubt, but I would still say that even with the style being toned down, you still have Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy having ladder matches.