Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

The Hart Attack was never the official name for the move, it's just that people such as myself have used it so often that it's retroactively been named as such.

WHAT

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not true, though it's possible that it was referred to by name in print much more than it was on TV.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hart Attack was never the official name for the move, it's just that people such as myself have used it so often that it's retroactively been named as such.

WHAT

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not true, though it's possible that it was referred to by name in print much more than it was on TV.

I had a subscription to WWF Magazine for a couple of years back in the day. Hart Attack was very frequently mentioned whenever the Hart Foundation was discussed.

Scooter playing the "too cool for school" card in regards to current wrestling while reviewing pretty much everything on WWE 24/7 is being slept on big time. I don't know if he's the origin of the "all wrestling sucks except for the stuff I watched growing up" meme, but he's certainly one of the biggest perpetrators of it.

Scooter playing the "too cool for school" card in regards to current wrestling while reviewing pretty much everything on WWE 24/7 is being slept on big time. I don't know if he's the origin of the "all wrestling sucks except for the stuff I watched growing up" meme, but he's certainly one of the biggest perpetrators of it.

No one "invented" that. It's common in *all* forms of sports and entertainment. It's been a part of wrestling forever. Gotch fans thought wrestling sucked after him. Lewis fans throught it sucked after his day. Go to Wrestling Classics or Kayfabe Memories and it's all over the place. I suspect I'm a "Class of 95er". Though I tend to enjoy a lot of stuff from before the time I started watching in 1986.

John

I'm not one for nitpicking on every bit of content on a blog. This piece from a guest review caught my eye though.

No rating, but an a true abortion. Speaking of abortions, I wish someone had taught Judy Bagwell the value of a good coat-hanger back in 1969.

That's pretty deplorable.

WHAT

I concur, re: seeing it a lot more in WWF Magazine. I think there's many more examples too, in fact. (the one I keep remembering is Repo Man's finisher being called the "Crowbar" there but not on TV)

Being disenchanted with the way current wrestling has gone myself, in all fairness I can understand this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Another SK head scratcher:

Jesse argues that Bundy’s foot was touching Hulk’s so it should be a legal pin, but you have to actually pin the other guy’s shoulders to the mat, hence the name. In case that was keeping you up at night. Which means, for those truly anal types, that someone blacking out in the figure-four and getting pinned is not actually legal, unless the interpretation is that the ref is counting the person as unable to continue and just counting three as a way to determine that.

I thought it was settled that a pin in wrestling can be established by contact between the two wrestlers, and I've never heard that someone getting pinned from passing out in a figure four isn't "legal". There's only been roughly a billion examples proving both of SK's points wrong.

Another SK head scratcher:

Jesse argues that Bundy’s foot was touching Hulk’s so it should be a legal pin, but you have to actually pin the other guy’s shoulders to the mat, hence the name. In case that was keeping you up at night. Which means, for those truly anal types, that someone blacking out in the figure-four and getting pinned is not actually legal, unless the interpretation is that the ref is counting the person as unable to continue and just counting three as a way to determine that.

I thought it was settled that a pin in wrestling can be established by contact between the two wrestlers, and I've never heard that someone getting pinned from passing out in a figure four isn't "legal". There's only been roughly a billion examples proving both of SK's points wrong.

SK would probably blow a gasket if he watched the Glamour Girls-Jumping Bomb Angels match from Royal Rumble 88 today and he saw the referee negate a tag because both feet were on the bottom rope as opposed to on the mat.

The silly part about Keith's comment is that Jesse was engaging in heel commentary. Listening to Jesse's comments on the Best of SNME DVD, he does just about everything to try to argue the heel should have won his match against whomever... more often when Hogan is the guy the heel is facing.

EDIT: As far as the whole deal about a pin when passed out while trapped in a figure four goes, it always seemed to be the substitute for checking the arm of the wrestler who passed out to see if it drops three times. Of course, there hasn't been consistency with the "arm drops three times" rule for submission holds as I can remember multiple squash matches in which somebody won with a sleeper and the jobber's arm only had to drop once for the referee to call for the bell.

The Scott Keith mailbag always brings the LOLs:

3.) Why was the British Bulldog’s first WCW run so short? Especially since he was pushed as a main eventer there.

3) Basically he wasn’t happy there and wanted out. I’ve also heard stuff about drugs being a factor, but you had to be a REALLY huge fuck-up to fail a WCW drug test so I’d be skeptical.

And because he bashed a dude's head in at a bar and almost killed him. Scott didn't read Bret's book?

5.) So Paul Roma’s stint in the Horsemen was a disaster. So who would you have put in that slot instead since Tully wasn’t there?

5) Serious answer? Barry Windham. Their justification for not doing it basically amounted to "Uh, people might figure it out and would probably enjoy that development too much."

Not because he was being pushed as a top heel and making him third-banana to Flair and Arn would have made him look like a loser. It was because WCW bookers hated the fans! (Well, they probably did. But that's besides the point.)

You forgot to add the "better choices" than Paul Roma for being the fourth Horsemen as if Roma is the biggest scum on the face of the earth and the worst wrestler ever to step into a ring. I guess he must have thought the report of Roma being baited by WWE to badmouth Flair and Arn for the Horsemen DVD must be a lie perpetuated by Roma.

Not getting Tully was a mistake. From what I've read, he wasn't asking for all THAT much. He just didn't like their offer of $500 per night. Can you imagine Arn/Tully-Blonds matches? I bet Flair/Arn/Tully with Ole as manager in six-man tags vs Windham/Blonds or Vader/Sid/Rude or whoever would have brought attendance up in the Carolinas.

Also, Windham joining the Horsemen at Slamboree would have been stupid, considering he was wrestling Arn THAT NIGHT.

With Ole booking, however, I guess we can just be thankful he didn't make the Assassin the fourth Horseman.

Wasn't there something with WCW not bringing Tully in because the corporate suits didn't want to bring someone in who was fired from the WWF for failing a drug test? I seem to recall there being a story where it was basically a done deal for him to go back but someone stooged on him about the failure and WCW pulled the offer.

And they were going to bring Tully in at the Clash where Sting got injured, just a couple of months later, according to Flair's shoot interview. Flair nixed the plan because they were going to pay Tully more than Arn (they were able to lowball Arn during negotiations months earlier because he wasn't coming as a package with Tully).

On of the most disturbing stories in the book is Bruno’s account of the car accident which killed referee Joey Marella (the son of Gorilla Monsoon). Joey Marella and Bruno were riding together in Bruno’s car with Marella driving when Marella apparently fell asleep and ran off a steep embankment killing himself instantly and seriously injuring Bruno. Bruno repeatedly calls Marella a “loser” and makes no bones about the fact that he couldn’t stand Marella and seems to have little or no sympathy for Marella. It was a disturbing chapter to read. I won’t say he seemed happy that Marella was killed because he didn’t but he certainly pulled no punches about his disdain for Marella

From Downtown Bruno's book

I would like to remind everyone that Vince Russo was paid $2.5 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR to think this bullshit up.

what

Astonishingly, Stacy became a pretty decent worker for her position In the company once she went to WWE.

not really

Hogan at least had real accomplishments in the sport, which is more than you can say for Russo.

Real accomplishments in the sport!