• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that you should.

Part of me wonders if the reasons for that high buyrate were:

(1) the tease of Austin going babyface again in the build

(2) the expectation that some other WCW names would make surprise appearances on the PPV

Obviously, there was no way to know this at the time, but they could have done an angle with all the top names except Sting and Luger had they just waited longer to start it. By the following summer, they had Hogan, Hall, Nash, Flair, and Bischoff. If you assume it starts with Bischoff's July 2002 debut, they could have run it a year and had Goldberg and Scott Steiner join later. Guys like Benoit, Michaels, and HHH would also be off the injured list and they could use them as well.

Hall and Nash get run out of town early (Hall's firing and Nash's injury), and WCW retaliates by sidelining Rock. Shawn Michaels, disgusted by what he sees, comes out of retirement to defend WWE.

If only we could always look into the future ... had they stretched it out to 2010, they could also include Bret Hart and make Bob Ryder an accurate reporter. :)

When WWE did finally get all those stars they didn't do too good a job booking them. I doubt they would have booked the invasion any differently if they had Hall, Nash, Goldberg, Bischoff, etc. Though reading about the ego clashes would have been a lot of fun.

If I'm not mistaken, one reason WWE rushed so quickly into the WCW Invasion was because the company wanted to make it appear to stockholders that they were doing something with WCW, only when it didn't work out, to blame it on the fact people viewed WCW as damaged goods, but hey, they still had the video library.

EDIT: Also, there was the whole ordeal of Viacom not wanting to give WWE additional time slots to add WCW programming, thus adding to that urgency to rush things.

But I agree that more careful planning might have allowed WWE to stretch things out.

Another issue is that they had so many top WWF feuds left unsettled at the time they were intending to start the invasion angle. It's hard to do WWF guys vs WCW guys when Austin/Rock and Austin/HHH were left dangling, and people were wanting to see those feuds properly blown off.

Rethinking this, I think the timeline that maybe should be focused on more is not necessarily when they started the angle, but more when they purchased the company. Had they purchased them in October 2000 when they tried the first time around, they would have had time to factor rolling out the WCW guys into the Wrestlemania build, or at least saw every angle through to a conclusion by the end of Wrestlemania so they could switch gears the night after. As it stands, they closed the deal about a week before Wrestlemania with a full card already in place (and post-WM plans already pretty much set as well).

I'm curious how far in advance they decided Austin was turning.

• 2 years later...

If I'm not mistaken, one reason WWE rushed so quickly into the WCW Invasion was because the company wanted to make it appear to stockholders that they were doing something with WCW, only when it didn't work out, to blame it on the fact people viewed WCW as damaged goods, but hey, they still had the video library.

EDIT: Also, there was the whole ordeal of Viacom not wanting to give WWE additional time slots to add WCW programming, thus adding to that urgency to rush things.

But I agree that more careful planning might have allowed WWE to stretch things out.

I always thought they rushed the Invasion angle because they panicked when the product really cooled off with the Austin/HHH vs. Taker/Kane feud.

I always thought they rushed the Invasion angle because they panicked when the product really cooled off with the Austin/HHH vs. Taker/Kane feud.

I thought the Invasion came about because the Booker T/Buff Bagwell match on Raw single-handedly torpedoed the WWF's plans to run WCW as a separate brand.

It was all of the above. And trying to run the XFL at the same time wasn't helping. Vince had WAY too much on his plate, and he tends to rush things and forget details and go back to his proven old standards when he's stressed like that.

But after they couldn't get additional time slots, wasn't the plan to make the Monday show the WCW show and the Thursday show the WWF show?

I don't remember ever hearing that. I can't believe Vince would even dream of giving up Raw on Monday nights.

Actually, I think Raw was to be the WCW show, but TNN didn't want it, and really, after Viacom paid all that money for the top-rated WWF, why would either TNN or UPN want to give either of those prime time slots to the toxic WCW brand? The funny part is that TNN also rejected a late-night WCW show on Saturday, but a couple of months later, took on WWF Excess in that slot, which no doubt got lower ratings than a WCW show would have.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rock was there after the summer and still pretty popular and they seemed to want to make the focus solely between a babyface Kurt Angle (who hadn't proven he could draw yet) and Steve Austin, who was stuck in a heel turn the fans weren't entirely behind.

I can't recall anyone outside of Rob Van Dam and Chris Jericho getting treated as any sort of big deal back then, either.