Pro Wrestling Only

Things we can probably get confirmed now

Loss

Sidello was sort of the "Kevin Dunn" of WCW for a lot of years: she was always get blamed for everything that was wrong in the company. I exagerate on "everything". But the name would come up all the time in the WON, like Dunn's does, when someone would have a bone to pick with not being able to do something or when something sucked. I always wondered which 2-3 of Dave's sources just hated the shit out of her so much that she always took the fall, or felt the need to toss out every fuck up of hers. :)

With Dunn in the early 00s, it was a little more obvious. :P

John

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidello was sort of the "Kevin Dunn" of WCW for a lot of years: she was always get blamed for everything that was wrong in the company. I exagerate on "everything". But the name would come up all the time in the WON, like Dunn's does, when someone would have a bone to pick with not being able to do something or when something sucked. I always wondered which 2-3 of Dave's sources just hated the shit out of her so much that she always took the fall, or felt the need to toss out every fuck up of hers. :)

John

Brian Pillman had his issues with management for sure so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

When was Dunn first mentioned in the Observer? It dates back probably even earlier than the early 00s, because Jim Cornette blew up at Dunn and made fun of his teeth at a creative team meeting all the way back in the summer of 1997. Did the other prominent idiot of the time (Russo) get all the heat then?

I can see why the "we're not wrestling" stuff would drive Cornette up a wall. He sincerely loves this stuff and his bosses are so steeped in self-loathing that they claim it isn't what he loves because they see themselves as above it even though it is it and...I'm suddenly very confused.

the stories on Dunn, who's been with the company since the mid 80s, don't start coming out in the WON until Cornette joins the booking team in 96/97

Hmmm...

I think there's a connection there

Corny early, but the knocks on Dunn got even stronger after he left. Heyman was a pretty obvious complainer as well, and perhaps Ross. Who knows who else.

John

Guest Talon

The answers are probably out there if I look hard enough but here are two

Why was Sean O'Haire's "Devil's Advocate" gimmick dropped so quickly and abruptly.

How exactly did ICP get jobs with every major promotion when it'd seem like they had an endless list of enemies within the business (despite oddly enough having a large core group of friends to the point of putting on amazing - both bad and good shows)

I thought Judgement Day was simply to extend the feud. They'd done two matches between the two with Mania (which the rebooked into a four-way), then Rock's win at Backlash. Suspect there was something in the back of Trip's ego head at the time of wanting to match Shawn going 60 minutes.

If I recall Mania '96, it was to give it a special edge. Shawn had gone long in the Rumble twice. Bret had the Iron Matches with Flair and Owen. They'd just done a cage match on the prior IYH. Not just any Bret-Shawn, but a super special Bret-Shawn. :)

John

Guest Talon

Why was Sean O'Haire's "Devil's Advocate" gimmick dropped so quickly and abruptly.

Piper did something stupid (IIRC in an interview) and got canned, and O'Haire was attached to him so he got depushed. The gimmick wasn't going anywhere though.

No no I mean why did he even become Piper's lackey and the Devils' Advocate gimmick dropped so suddenly. One week he was this awesome gimmick that, if given time would have been huge then the next week he was hanging out with Piper and the gimmick was never mentioned again

Piper did something stupid (IIRC in an interview) and got canned, and O'Haire was attached to him so he got depushed. The gimmick wasn't going anywhere though.

No no I mean why did he even become Piper's lackey and the Devils' Advocate gimmick dropped so suddenly. One week he was this awesome gimmick that, if given time would have been huge then the next week he was hanging out with Piper and the gimmick was never mentioned again

IIRC he was unable to do a decent promo without multiple takes. Too bad, since the initial promo segments with the incredible production values was as good a setup for a new character as they've ever done.

Why do people assume that just because they think the character is cool that it could be "the most awesome/huge/incredible character ever"? This is WWE, they won't be writing Palahniuk for anyone. Most likely they would lose interest or just make him a goofy heel like Santino.

Guest Slickster

I think the gimmick would have worked much better for a heel manager to use, always trying to turn babyfaces over to the dark side when they get bad calls from referees or are overlooked for title shots.

EDIT: Wow, I totally forgot this board existed or that I had signed up for it 5 years ago.

Who was the wrestler Lex Luger refused to do a double juice cage match with unless the other guy got an AIDS test?

What was the timeframe for this?

I'm not sure. Dave mentioned in WOL back in 2000.

It could only be Dusty, Flair, or Windham. I can't think of any other high-profile cage matches he has had.

Nikita in 1987 may have been before folks in the business started talking about aids and juice. Ditto Dusty at Starcade at the end of the year.

Was there *any* juice in the Lex-Barry matches? That was in the era where WCW was strange in delivering juice. You'd think a cage match would have it, but then they duck it.

Might have been Flair. What I remember about that cage match is that Luger was in the hospital for staph, and what had been intended as a double juice bloodbath was changed because of Lex's staph. Ric still hit a gusher, though.

John