Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a feeling it isn't the complete obit because it was pretty brief.

And Dave didn't list Red's titles at the end of it.

Dave spoke very fondly of Red and Red was so loved by his peers I would be legitimately shocked if we don't get a giant bio.

--Amy Schumer, a comedian who dated Dolph Ziggler, was on Howard Stern this morning. She talked about the relationship. She said the sex was "too athletic" for her. Maybe she wanted more stalling and comedy. She said she would go with him to TV tapings and PPV shows. She said when she'd introduce him to other comedians, they all wanted to get their picture taken with him. When a photo of Ziggler was put on the screen, Stern called him "Hitler's wet dream." He said he looked like Dolph Lundgren. She thought that's where they got the name from and said his real name with Nick Nemeth. She said he was a bad guy and that's why he always loses. She said he has to be really talented to keep losing and still be a star. She said they dated for three months until her ex-boyfriend, comedian Anthony Jeselnik invited her to go to Mexico and she broke up with him on Skype. (thanks to Jeff Cohen)

Probably the best thing Dave has posted in a while.

This is Amy BTW

Posted Image

Guest CompletePlayer

She said they dated for three months until her ex-boyfriend, comedian Anthony Jeselnik invited her to go to Mexico and she broke up with him on Skype.

If she really cared about Dolph, then she should have dumped up with a Tout.

Some classic ownage of Meltz yesterday in an interview with Chael Sonnen. He is talking with Alvarez for about 4 or 5 minutes about what is going on with the cancellation and Dave just decides to show up and basically ask the same question that Bryan did to start the interview. To which Sonnen in classic douche bag mode asks Dave something like "what did you think we were talking about in the beginning of the interview, our favorite Rhianna song" :lol:

She said they dated for three months until her ex-boyfriend, comedian Anthony Jeselnik invited her to go to Mexico and she broke up with him on Skype.

That is a punk move.

Well, considering both of them are on the road all the time, Skype is a perfectly acceptable way to communicate. And at least she broke up with him before she got back together with her ex.

• 4 weeks later...

So Dave is posting for MMA Fighting on SB Nation:

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Dave%20Meltzer

Looks like it was effective 9/1, roughly a piece a day. His piece today:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/21/33672...st-rated-opener

Was this kind of low profile?

Was there a lot of thought put into this?

I know there's some money to be made off of writing for SB Nation and there are eyeballs, but there also is a sea of MMA writers (and sites) on SB Nation to get buried under. Wouldn't it be better to be a regular writer for say Grantland... since (i) Simmons seems to want to cover *everything*, (ii) they aren't really doing the MMA thing now, (iii) Grantland is a major hit, (iv) Grantland has ESPN behind it, and (v) Simmons is a former WON Reader & Wrestling Fan. I also don't think Bill is paying $0.00 for writing there, and it's *possibly* an audience that Dave might want to draw to the WON.

Speaking of which, looking at the TUF article, am I missing the note anywhere in it that Dave is the publisher of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and a link over to it?

I guess SBNation must have offered him a better deal. A positive with Grantland is that the site has done plenty of long form articles on pro wrestling, so writing there would allow him to cover both his areas of expertise. Of course, there's Cageside Seats, which is part of the SBNation umbrella, and if I had the best pro wrestling news journalist under contract, then I would want to exploit that to boost the popularity of the wrestling site too, but I don't expect that to happen. :)

SBNation is undergoing a major overhaul at the moment, see here. That may have been a part of Dave's decision making.

Well, Grantland does have a Pro Wrestling "writer", so I don't think Bill would want to step on him. Also, on the Main Stream Media level, Dave seems to want to push his MMA writing since that's where the MSM $$$ is at. So he could simply have filled the niche of MMA at Grantland. I suspect Bill would have let him write as much as he wanted: weekly, couple times a week, daily. It's not like Dave was prolific at all over at Yahoo, but he does appear to have picked up his game on SBN.

John

Even when I do a wrestling radio show, the hosts bring up Overeem. And did you notice when I tried to bring up Mysterio, they got rid of me.

But it's all my fault.

Everyone is in the bubble, Grantland calls me to write a column on Overeem and tells me to stay the fuck away from wrestling, the LAW are wrestling guys, it sucks that the only people who get it that the Overeem story isn't news and Rey Mysterio is are here on this board.

They didn't even know that Punk had ushered in the new boom period last July and when he came back early and lost to HHH, it was all a part of a master plan that we had to wait until it all played out to understand.

Even when I do a wrestling radio show, the hosts bring up Overeem. And did you notice when I tried to bring up Mysterio, they got rid of me.

But it's all my fault.

Everyone is in the bubble, Grantland calls me to write a column on Overeem and tells me to stay the fuck away from wrestling, the LAW are wrestling guys, it sucks that the only people who get it that the Overeem story isn't news and Rey Mysterio is are here on this board.

They didn't even know that Punk had ushered in the new boom period last July and when he came back early and lost to HHH, it was all a part of a master plan that we had to wait until it all played out to understand.

I don't get the context of these at all. Are they recent? What are they in response to?

New Boom Period?

$262.5M Jan-Jun 2011 Revenue

$264.7M Jan-Jun 2012 Revenue

Minimal difference comparing pre-Punk vs post-Punk, even with Rock-Cena at Mania.

$34.2M Jan-Jun 2011 Operating Income

$35.6M Jan-Jun 2012 Operating Income

Minimal difference comparing pre-Punk vs post-Punk, even with Rock-Cena at Mania.

$22.9M Jan-Jun 2011 Net Income

$27.3M Jan-Jun 2012 Net Income

Ah-hah! you say. No... not really. Most of that was a $3.8M difference in Provision for income taxes. The difference in Income Before Taxes was less than a million dollars.

Wait... are we talking about a boom that started in July-Sep *after* the first six months of this year?

And by boom, I frankly expect to see *several* hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue added to the books, since that's what Stone Cold and Rock and Foley added in a real BOOM~! Otherwise it's not a Boom~! but instead just a period of modest growth because something (or some things) were over.

A boom is what happened to the NFL's TV contracts this time around.

And College Football's.

And those MLB ones that blew me away, which is saying something since I pay way too damn much attention to sports contracts.

And... wait for it...

Soccer's TV contracts. The EPL's in the UK were nuts on the new cycle, going far beyond what anyone expected. International growth was strong in the last cycle, and expected to be strong as well. Combined with domestic, the rights are going to be nuts.

Don't even get me started about what the NBA's next deal will look like after they've seen what the new MLB deal went for... those greedy fuck owners are starting to drool (and that's not even talking about the Laker's new TV deal).

Those are Booms~!

$2M in revenue in the first sixth months of this year over last year... with Rock-Cena? I'm sure hoping those Jul-Sep numbers are amazing, unless Dave was being sarcastic in that boom comment. ;)

John

Just so no one is confused, mmafighting.com certainly doesn't belong to Ariel Helwani. It belongs to SB Nation, which is a growing sports blog empire still coasting off some investment capital. Will be interesting to see if they do better with it than AOL/Huff Po where it was a money pit. They have cut back on travel it looks like, but Dave probably wasn't cheap. I wish we had known he was willing to write daily. I think Bleacher Report might have jumped into discussions.