Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No what made Chael heel to the MMA hardcores is that you had pro wrestling journalists praising Chael as the new pro wrestling savior in MMA. Other guys have done interviews like Chael in the past in MMA but the dickriding was nowhere close to the level we saw the past few weeks.

No what made Chael heel to the MMA hardcores is that you had pro wrestling journalists praising Chael as the new pro wrestling savior in MMA. Other guys have done interviews like Chael in the past in MMA but the dickriding was nowhere close to the level we saw the past few weeks.

No, I think Chael was a heel to MMA hardcores because he has a "boring" style, most MMA hardcores hate all wrestlers and say they just "lay and pray." Plus they don't like when guys actually have interesting shit to say pre-fight instead of how much they respect their opponent and oh I trained really hard and zzz...

His interviews probably added between 100 to 400 thousand extra buys for the PPV. 550 was expected and Dana said the tracking was in the 900 level. Whether you think journalists have been "riding Chael's dick" or not, he was responsible for making the PPV even more of a success.

His interviews probably added between 100 to 400 thousand extra buys for the PPV. 550 was expected and Dana said the tracking was in the 900 level. Whether you think journalists have been "riding Chael's dick" or not, he was responsible for making the PPV even more of a success.

Yea, there really is no argument that all his trash talking caused people to buy this PPV if it does significantly better than 500,000. Anderson Silva is not a draw on PPV, he usually has average or lower buy rates for PPVs that he headlines, so if they really did somewhere around 900 thousand buys that would be pretty incredible. And it's not like the undercard was great, Fitch vs. Alves isn't really a strong semi main event. Even though I thought the whole show turned out great, it wasn't a really hot card on paper.

I doubt the average MMA fan is as up to date with Meltzer's views as we are. The guy cut some great promos and did a monster number as a result. We don't have to pretend that everything Metlzer says about MMA is wrong. This one is pretty simple to analyze.

lol @ Dave owning Green Lantern Fan in the latest WON talking about Pierce getting fired as ROH booker:

Those internally felt that they had lost too many regular fans, noted certain things like an advertised title match turning into a non-title match in Dayton and a 60:00 draw in Edison which was timed at around 48:00 and that when you’ve got a fan in the front row with a stopwatch, you know that’s going to be get out.

ZING!

I had to do announcer duties on a match like that one time. A "thirty-minute" iron man match where I was announcing the time countdown, but it was shaved down and more like twenty-four minutes. Of course, there was an angry little autistic man in the front row who kept looking at his watch and at me in bewilderment. It was not a comfortable night. What's the point in such penny-ante lying? If you're gonna do a time-limit draw, go to the actual time limit. Unless one guy is hurt, there's no point in trimming off a measely five or ten minutes. Just grab a fucking hold if you're that tired.

Mick Foley's looong column about Dave's reviews of his TNA-era promo work:

http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/item/2115...ley-column-8/19

Publicity grab for his new book, Foley being Foley when it comes to criticism or legitimate beef? It interesting how close he drops short of accusing Meltzer of losing his passion for Wrestling.

On a macro level I thought him and were really good friends.

Foley seems legit shook that Dave is criticizing TNA since he and Dave were bros and also that he was dismissive of Tommy Dreamer's tear filled promos. It really goes off the rails when he starts comparing Tommy Dreamer to Meryl Streep and TNA to Negro League baseball.

Really, though, what's his beef?

Paraphrasing ...

"Throughout my career, Dave Meltzer has praised me immensely, and in many cases even more than I would say I deserve. He has also praised some of my promos in the past two years, and I have heard he has praised even more of them that I haven't read for myself. But he hasn't liked every single thing I have done, so I have a problem with that."

The whole logic behind mentioning promotion names and talking about being broke was a little ridiculous too, considering:

(1) Maybe I'm wrong, but it felt to me like that Shawn-JBL feud bombed big time

(2) Foley got over being an everyman type, but he didn't get over by talking about needing money and being able to make more money working elsewhere

ECW had its flaws in having too much obsession over the WWF and WCW for sure, but at the point Foley was there, it wasn't a nationally televised show with PPV. They weren't trying to be major league.

TNA is (I think) trying to be a major league promotion, and the context in which the modern stuff is happening is so different, so it's not the same thing.

Really, though, what's his beef?

Paraphrasing ...

"Throughout my career, Dave Meltzer has praised me immensely, and in many cases even more than I would say I deserve. He has also praised some of my promos in the past two years, and I have heard he has praised even more of them that I haven't read for myself. But he hasn't liked every single thing I have done, so I have a problem with that."

I think that's your answer. I remember when Dave reviewed 'Foley is Good' years ago. Dave concluded that it was one of the five greatest wrestling books ever. Foley wrote to Dave to inform him that wasn't high enough praise. And he said the review was too critical (it was nearly 100% positive and had no serious criticism) I'm not kidding.

Mick Foley convincing most of the wrestling public that he's a aww-shucks everyman when he's really one of the biggest attention whores the business has ever seen (think of the ground that covers) should be #1 on the greatest cons list.

What's funny is that he's never really hid it either, considering how everything he's ever done in wrestling was tailored to put as much focus on him as possible.

I think the Shawn/JBL feud was praised fairly well at the time, though a lot of that was just how different it was from everything else WWE was doing. No one "bought" it, but people looked forward to see where it was going.

I think the Shawn/JBL feud was praised fairly well at the time, though a lot of that was just how different it was from everything else WWE was doing. No one "bought" it, but people looked forward to see where it was going.

It was a total bomb. It was a good idea on paper, but they shouldn't have chose HBK for it. Had they chose any of the midcarders it might have worked.