Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Floyd Jr. got a guaranteed 22.5 mill for his fight with Shane Mosley and ended up getting close to 30 mill all together. Mosley ended up getting close to 10 mill and HBO got 78.4 mill in revenue off the fight and a 1.4 PPV buyrate. That's a whole other league than UFC.

Dave is the one who'd I'd think would have realized that it was just a joke. I'm thinking Todd. And here ya go.

Next up was an amazing, amazing segment. They played an old clip of the Rock. CM Punk and the Straight Edge Society came out. Punk said that he’s better than the Rock and the announcers had a hearty laugh at this notion. Punk took a shot at the Tooth Fairy and asked if fans miss the Rock. Well, duh. You see, the theme of this segment was “great things about Raw that are gone now.” Seriously.

So Punk next brought up how Raw used to be edgy. He brought up DX’s catchphrase, DX invading Nitro and the Steve Austin beer bath of Vince McMahon. He mixed in some newer stuff that didn’t get over nearly as well like HHH destroying Randy Orton’s “home” and John Cena throwing Edge into water. Punk criticized Raw’s poor family values.

This was the segue into a rant against Steve Austin. Punk ran down Austin’s character, when all of a sudden Steve Austin’s music played. The crowd went nuts of course. But Austin did not come out. Punk then laughed and pointed out that Steve Austin is gone and wasn’t there on Raw.

So, having pointed out Rock is gone, Steve Austin is gone and the show is no longer edgy, what else from the past was there left to bring up? You guessed it! They aired a video clip of Brock Lesnar superplexing Big Show on Smackdown, the ring breaking, and the crowd going crazy. Punk said he didn’t know who the other guy in the ring with Show was. He then made fun of Show for being fat.

Having teased Rock, Steve Austin and Brock Lesnar, we finally got the big run-in. Big Show came out. He started bringing up his own worst segments to make fun of himself. He then did an impression. Who was this impression of? Take three guesses, brother. Yes, Big Show did a Hulk Hogan impression on Raw. If fans had started chanting TNA, it would have worked on two levels.

Punk responded, “That was boring. You’re not entertaining. And nobody likes you.” I broke out in laughter. That line was seriously the best comedy on Raw in ages. Anyway, Show was saddened by this and a fight broke out. Straight Edge Society left. Punk was great throughout this segment, by the way.

So, to recap this segment. They pointed out Rock was great but left WWE to go do movies. They pointed out the show used to be edgy but now it’s PG. They brought up how Steve Austin was great and now is gone. They aired a great clip of UFC’s biggest star. And then they had one of their guys do an impression of a guy who works for TNA. Wow. I mean, this was entertaining as hell. But just, wow.

Seriously, does he wear a tinfoil hat? The LAST thing people were thinking was that Rock or Lesnar were going to come out and confront Punk. A Hogan impression isn't a plug for TNA.

Does he not get that this was a segment where the most hated heel in WWE is bashing things that are generally remembered fondly to get heat while they're doing a retrospective of "wild moments"?

NO ONE, outside of him and a small, small, handful of people could have watched that and be left with "It reminded me of when it was great and they were putting over people who don't work there!"

Todd doesn't stand alone. From WOR:

DM: To me, the whole segment, when the Big Show came out - no one cared about him! ...

BA: He's the guy who's lame enough to actually be here.

DM: This is the 900th show and the real stars [Austin and Rock] don't even come back for special shows!

BA: They moved on.

DM: That made me feel like I needed to move on.

BA: [...] CM Punk showed Big Show suplexing Big Show. [..] He added "I don't know who the other guy was"

DM: That was quite the knock, wasn't it?

BA: They came off sooo lame.

DM: They came off so insecure.

To be fair, I thought it was meant as a knock as a well. In a "ha ha, only serious" kind of way.

Wouldn't 7 posts about it before Dave even mentions it be overreacting on this board's part?

If it turns out that all Dave goes is "And they made a joke about Lesnar" will anyone make 7 more posts?

If that ends up being the only reaction, I will happily post seven times in a row that we were wrong.

Wouldn't 7 posts about it before Dave even mentions it be overreacting on this board's part?

If it turns out that all Dave goes is "And they made a joke about Lesnar" will anyone make 7 more posts?

Why are you here, again?

To read what all the cool kids are bitching about.

If that ends up being the only reaction, I will happily post seven times in a row that we were wrong.

What Dan posted is all that happened.

One second on an audio show of Dave going that was lame.

Weren't the items from Todd and Bryan & Dave in line with what the earlier posted in the thread jokingly predicted? I would have though Beast would have slinked off again for a few months before running in again.

John

It was, but it was a brief, off-hand comment, so Beast seems to think he can spin it by changing the terms of the argument after the fact. The old "Moving the Goalposts" fallacy - he bets X won't do Y after everyone predicted they would, X does Y, but Beast decides it doesn't count because now X had to have done Y for Z length of time. Not that it's working, but that's Beast for ya.

Why are you here, again?

To read what all the cool kids are bitching about.

And to bitch about the bitching in return, occasionally complaining about the lack of positivity on this board, despite the fact that you contribute little-to-no positive discussion yourself, and spend the bulk of your post bitching.

"We accept you, one of us! Gooble Gobble!"

There's quite a bit more in the newsletter, an from all the items people pull out of WO-Live, it looks like the show is a major outlet for his updates as well.

There's very little "breaking" in wrestling like there was back in the late 90s and early 00s. There really isn't the need for Updates to drive attention to the product. If something semi major happens, he'll mention the news in an update. And he does live updates of the PPV of wrestling and MMA shows. But most of analysis of it goes to the show and the newsletter.

Can't say that's a mistake given where wrestling is at the moment. But it also means that the front page really doesn't do anything to either well represent what Dave does or sell the WON strongly. Again, not really a mistake...

John