Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

It's seriously a thousand billion times stupider than "wrestling = MMA". Not even close.

People who have never watched hockey in their life know who Gretzky is. When I used to frequent a cricket forum, sports fans from fucking Pakistan knew who he was without me having to explain it.

I doubt there's one hockey rink in Pakistan.

Anyone that thinks George St. Pierre is on that level of fame has serious problems with reality.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're overestimating the popularity of NA sports worldwide. Even Jackie Robinson is a non-entity here from experience. Ruth's about the only baseball player people know. The NFL's popular enough, but I don't think there's a name known in the mainstream. Basketball has Jordan, and I'd say you're more likely to find people who know maybe Kobe, Shaq and LeBron to figures from other sports.

Every time I've mentioned hockey I've gotten an "oh, you mean ICE hockey" so I don't think Gretsky's anywhere near as well known as Bret. Bret's hardly a mainstream figure, of course, but just about everyone between 22-27 would know him from the early '90s boom and presumably their parents too. He's behind the various WoS names who people remember (Daddy, Haystacks, McManus, Pallo, Les Kellet etc) and behind Hogan, Rock, Austin... but he'd be significantly more known than Gretsky.

But St. Pierre hasn't a hope of a case.

How did the Gretzky-GSP thing get started?

Dana White made a comment around the time of the GSP/Koscheck fight that GSP was the most well known Canadian athlete of all time, "a billion times bigger than Gretsky".

But that was like 5 months ago, so not really sure why Dave and Bryan would still be talking about it, let alone debating it. Most dismissed it as crazy Dana hyperbolic hubris months ago.

You're overestimating the popularity of NA sports worldwide. Even Jackie Robinson is a non-entity here from experience. Ruth's about the only baseball player people know. The NFL's popular enough, but I don't think there's a name known in the mainstream. Basketball has Jordan, and I'd say you're more likely to find people who know maybe Kobe, Shaq and LeBron to figures from other sports.

I agree with this. Granted, I'm not big into sports either, but still, I have no idea who Wayne Gretsky is. The only name of baseball players I know are the ones who have been mentionned during wrestling programs. Ditto any US football players. When I was in highschool, basketball and the NBA were super over, so I knew the names of the stars. But baseball, US football and ice hockey are pretty much non-entity for the mainstream european audiences. Now, I don't think UFC is big either, but to say Wayne Gretsky is a bigger star in Europe than Bret Hart, who was pretty damn known in the 90's, is probaly a mistake.

But St. Pierre hasn't a hope of a case.

I guess so too.

Now, I don't think UFC is big either, but to say Wayne Gretsky is a bigger star in Europe than Bret Hart, who was pretty damn known in the 90's, is probaly a mistake.

Depends on the country. I think you'd be right about Western Europe, but not Eastern Europe, where ice hockey was very popular and the WWF didn't have the same foothold.

Gretzky's still featured heavily in Wii videogames. Ten years after he retired.

Basically, if hockey is played/televised prominently in that country, it's Gretzky. He's the best player ever and his stats are so far ahead of everyone else that it's ridiculous (doesn't he even have more assists than the second placed guys have goals and assists combined?). But he wasn't a Michael Jordan/Tiger Woods figure, either, who completely transcended his sport. Not to anywhere near the same degree. People are more likely to know the Mighty Ducks than they are the Oilers.

From the latest Observer:

He looked like a great sacrificial lamb to set up Vitor Belfort, the darling of the promotion, in his run for the championship. Belfort, who had just turned 20, was 230 pounds of muscle, with the fastest and most accurate hands anyone had seen in the sport, and was said to throw around big black belts in practice. When Belfort first came into UFC, he was billed as Victor Gracie, the next line of Gracie superstars, with the idea he was the adopted son of Carlson Gracie. Going into his fight with Couture, he was 4-0, knocking out every opponent, all much heavier than he was, and the longest lasting 77 seconds. Couture wasn’t thought to have the overwhelming size and takedowns to get him off his feet quick. Belfort figured to destroy him standing in a minute anyway, and follow it up by getting his shot and winning the heavyweight title and going on to be a legend in the sport. You know, the MMA equivalent of the Tom Magee vs. Bret Hart match.

We probably are mixing things up with Wayne.

No one says that on a global level he is as big as Tiger or MJ.

Hockey was/is rather big in eastern and northen Europe. It's not like Northern Europe is massive population base, but the percentage of the population that has some knowledge of hockey is pretty high.

The analogy to Jackie Robinson isn't a great one. He played in the 40s and 50s, not in the 80s and 90s. Jackie never was "Baseball"... in the sense that Babe Ruth was Baseball, or Hulk Hogan was/is Wrestling for an era: that singular person that lots of people, including non-fans, think of when the word is thrown out.

Wayne was Hockey. Still is to a lot of folks like his direct peer Hogan is still Wrestling to them.

Is he becoming something of "yesterday's news" because it was the 80s and 90s not the 00s? Perhaps.

But it's a bit like Inoki still being huge in Japan even though his salad days were the 60s and 70s and 80s: there remain a lot of people alive who saw him. I barely follow the Dodgers now, but I know who Garvey-Cey-Lopes-Russell were because they were who I watched when a kid. I'll remember Kirk Gibson's dinger until the brain goes.

John

Same thing happened with me in Nara, Japan. With Zidane. Now try to picture a japanese guy who speaks no french whatsoever trying to utter the very unfamiliar (for a japanese) sounding name "Zidane". I don't care about soccer, but that was still funny.

Freshmen in college and high school don't know the Beatles.

Are you comparing a 1991 cartoon that aired for 4 months (from Wiki, I have obviously no idea what ProStars was) to the motherfucking Beatles ?;)

It means... what?

That they don't know the Beatles ? They're ignorant young douches.

That they don't know ProStars ? hum... probably nothing.:)