Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Probably should have just let Lawler lay out the match with Cole. Give him a clock time to fit it into, including for entrances and post match. Let the two walk it through, especially the entrance part. Lawler has worked with brooms before and could do this.

I'm not sure if Jerry would want to sell as long, though perhaps in the same type of match in Memphis the crowd would stick with Jerry through it.

Don't know if he'd be smart enough / put aside ego enough when they tell him "your going 13:45" for him to say back, "We probably should go no longer than 7 minutes, a little longer if it goes well but not much."

John

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean may not need to tell Lawler how to work, but someone has to work with Cole.

What John said, why can't Jerry Lawler lay out his own match himself ? It's ridiculous. Yeah, the match went too long, but really, anyone with half a brain should have been able to get what people wanted to see : Jerry lawler kill Michael Cole, have the guy on the outside interfere so Austin could stun him, piledriver, or at least big punch from the second rope (and not a stupid ankle lock), end of the match, Jerry drinks beer with Austin, and have Austin stun Cole to boot. They just did a terrible job. Not a brain dead as with Bret vs Vince last year, but still pretty terrible.

That's definitely the impression I get. And no way is Vince going to book him like an 'ace'.

Yes, no way is Vince going to book him like an ace.

Dave and Bryan were basically underwhelmed.

In the U.S., Stan Hansen was the best working brawler in the 80s.

In the U.S., Rocky Maivia was the biggest drawing brawler in the 90s.

In a fantasy world where NJ could afford to bring in the Rock no one would say "Rock isn't getting the same kind of response as Stan Hansen. That's what's wrong with New Japan these days. They are forcing the the Rock to tone down his act and that's why he doesn't come off as recklessly violent as they allowed Hansen to look in the 80's".

Also Cara has got wrestlers backstage rolling their eyes at him has he developing a rep about about his matches in Mexico as shoot accomplishments in regards to taking this guy's mask and that guy's hair.

Mistico is a guy who had a bad backstage rap in Mexico too.

But this really feels more like the CM Punk brags about his four star matches rep than anything else. It was never clear if CM Punk was an idiot who brought DVDs with him for other people to watch; or if he just mentioned a match once and the WWE lockerroom is built on reminding folks "anything you've accomplished outside of here has no value to us".

only people backstage who could understand him would be Rey and I'm guessing probably Chavo/Vickie.

Alberto Rodriguez, Ricardo, and I think they have a bunch of Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in developmental as well. But it doesn't take rubbing more than two people wrong to start a lockeroom rumor.

Probably should have just let Lawler lay out the match with Cole. Give him a clock time to fit it into, including for entrances and post match. Let the two walk it through, especially the entrance part. Lawler has worked with brooms before and could do this.

I'm not sure if Jerry would want to sell as long, though perhaps in the same type of match in Memphis the crowd would stick with Jerry through it.

Don't know if he'd be smart enough / put aside ego enough when they tell him "your going 13:45" for him to say back, "We probably should go no longer than 7 minutes, a little longer if it goes well but not much."

John

Lawler has worked that match with Jimmy Hart and a half dozen fake Jimmy Harts. He's never made it go that long.

My sense from watching it was that they didn't want Lawler v Hart but rather wanted to do rich man's Zbysco v poor man's Bischoff.

I also get the sense that this is how they wanted to do Coach v Austin. This is how they lay these things out.

In the U.S., Stan Hansen was the best working brawler in the 80s.

In the U.S., Rocky Maivia was the biggest drawing brawler in the 90s.

In a fantasy world where NJ could afford to bring in the Rock no one would say "Rock isn't getting the same kind of response as Stan Hansen. That's what's wrong with New Japan these days. They are forcing the the Rock to tone down his act and that's why he doesn't come off as recklessly violent as they allowed Hansen to look in the 80's".

So in essence, Mistico isn't over in Mexico because of being spectacular like mid-90s Rey, but because of booking/personality like '90s Rock. The thing is, with Mistico's natural ability and the usually toned-down WWE style, he can get over in a way that's more WCW/WWE Mysterio than Ace Luchador. He certainly isn't going to get over because of being booked like an ace since that's not in the cards. So if WWE makes him do bland highspots, it's that much less likely he'll impress the fans. It wouldn't be possible for Rock to be a violent maniac, but it is possible for Mistico to 'wow' WWE crowds.

Figured out the Lawler/Cole match the other day and the way it should've gone. Cole Miner's Glove Match. You get a play on words with the cole mine and you get a gimmick match. From there, the big finish is a second rope fistdrop with the glove. Easy and effective.

Alberto Rodriguez, Ricardo, and I think they have a bunch of Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in developmental as well. But it doesn't take rubbing more than two people wrong to start a lockeroom rumor.

I can see Del Rio mistranslating Mistico's Spanish like heel commentator Dok "Michael Hayes" Hendrix mistranslated Savio Vega at King Of The Ring '95. :) He wants the top Hispanic babyface spot for himself after Rey retires.

John

Lawler has worked that match with Jimmy Hart and a half dozen fake Jimmy Harts. He's never made it go that long.

My sense from watching it was that they didn't want Lawler v Hart but rather wanted to do rich man's Zbysco v poor man's Bischoff.

I also get the sense that this is how they wanted to do Coach v Austin. This is how they lay these things out.

Is Patterson no longer with the company? Wasn't he the dude who would've layed something like this out in the past? Who was responsible for some of the better non-wrestler/wrestler matches of the past (Bigelow/LT, Mayweather/Big Show)?

Pat Patterson ins't there anymore I believe. And yes, he was a great mind to put together finishes and big matches together. He was also the guy putting together the Rumbles before they all looked overproduced and bland. The most infamous Patterson match was probably Hogan vs Warrior from WM 6.

John

If any wants to see how Lawler can work with a non-wrestler, here is a great Lawler/Local TN Physician v. Bill Dundee/Local TN Physician from earlier in the year.

Segunda Caida review

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2011/03/i...-party-you.html

Youtube video