Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

So Dave now says Brock's backstage blowup after the show was a work to convince people putting over Cena was the right idea. I've been somewhat vocal here in saying that it wasn't the worst idea in the world, especially the way they actually went about actually putting Cena over. But, someone should remind them how much these "work the boys" angles helped WCW.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We probably could use a comp of how Dave, Wade and MKJ are reporting this and then look back to see who ended up right.

Here's the Cageside Seats posts based on MKJ's and Dave's reports, respectively:

Report: Brock Lesnar blows up backstage after John Cena promo at Extreme Rules

Brock Lesnar backstage blow up a work? WWE reportedly walking thin line with its big star

Wade hasn't touched this story yet on his website or in his radio show to the best of my knowledge, which is interesting because I'm sure he would have heard the same stories.

On today's Observer Radio, Dave talked about how the WWE's mindset is to have Brock put over as many of their guys as possible before he flakes. Feel free to kick me in the balls if I ever say that the WWE should be given the benefit of the doubt.

It may have made more money, but where would it leave the company if Brock was put over Cena, Punk, Orton and Sheamus this year before losing to The Rock or The Undertaker or Steve Austin at WrestleMania 29 and then likely bailing? I think having Lesnar lose now to Cena, giving them plenty of time to rehab him before WrestleMania 29, is probably the best compromise. Of course, feel free to kick me in the balls if Hunter beats Brock at SummerSlam! :)

On today's Observer Radio, Dave talked about how the WWE's mindset is to have Brock put over as many of their guys as possible before he flakes. Feel free to kick me in the balls if I ever say that the WWE should be given the benefit of the doubt.

It may have made more money, but where would it leave the company if Brock was put over Cena, Punk, Orton and Sheamus this year before losing to The Rock or The Undertaker or Steve Austin at WrestleMania 29 and then likely bailing? I think having Lesnar lose now to Cena, giving them plenty of time to rehab him before WrestleMania 29, is probably the best compromise. Of course, feel free to kick me in the balls if Hunter beats Brock at SummerSlam! :)

Yeah, I understand the outrage of Lesnar losing his first match but in reality the idea of him beating Cena, Orton and Punk to then lose to Rock at WM29, and then the next day both him and Rock are gone, would be significantly worse. I've yet to see Dave or Bryan bring that up.

If this years WM did 1.3 million buys with that completely botched build of Rock/Cena, they have plenty of time to rehab a Brock/Rock match.

But the HHH thing is really scary because with Cena, Punk and Orton you have guys that will work stiff with Lesnar and go above and beyond to put him over, where as with HHH I just can't see him working that style with Brock (look how easy Brock was working with him on Monday) and the HHH cartoon brawl special with the sledgehammer bullshit will absolutely kill Brock's aura.

Yeah, I understand the outrage of Lesnar losing his first match but in reality the idea of him beating Cena, Orton and Punk to then lose to Rock at WM29, and then the next day both him and Rock are gone, would be significantly worse. I've yet to see Dave or Bryan bring that up.

If this years WM did 1.3 million buys with that completely botched build of Rock/Cena, they have plenty of time to rehab a Brock/Rock match.

But the HHH thing is really scary because with Cena, Punk and Orton you have guys that will work stiff with Lesnar and go above and beyond to put him over, where as with HHH I just can't see him working that style with Brock (look how easy Brock was working with him on Monday) and the HHH cartoon brawl special with the sledgehammer bullshit will absolutely kill Brock's aura.

I wasn't looking at it like this at all. I was looking at it from a Brock, the big, new, nasty, monster heel comes in & crushes a mentally defeated top babyface in John Cena partially because of him doubting himself (you know, that whole losing to The Rock thing that WWE apparently just shrugged off). The money match for me wasn't the big Wrestlemania match. It was the re-match with John Cena when he "finds himself" again and comes back to defeat Clubber Lang.

So if the WWE thinks he's that much of a risk, why are they paying him $5 million?

If what Dave is saying is true, they consider that money well spent if John Cena gets more cheers. That's worth $5 million to them, I guess.

This is SO fucking stupid! John Cena for the first time in forever, was actually starting to get some sympathy, and that was from a smark heavy Chicago crowd. Brock was DESTROYING him. Then Cena just pops up hits his finish, wins anyway and cuts his shitty promo. Instead of getting back support, it was more of the same old shit which led to crowds turning on him in the first place.

Again, Brock should have won. There's no justification otherwise. They had it. It was right there. It was magic. And they squashed it all in five minutes.

From today's update, which I thought was pretty crass and fits right into Bix's wrestling death thing (not sure if this is Dave or Bryan?):

--With the suicide death of Junior Seau, that makes eight players from the 1994 San Diego Chargers Super Bowl team who have passed away. Seven people who wrestled at WrestleMania that year passed away. (thanks to Brian Hoops)

From today's update, which I thought was pretty crass and fits right into Bix's wrestling death thing (not sure if this is Dave or Bryan?):

--With the suicide death of Junior Seau, that makes eight players from the 1994 San Diego Chargers Super Bowl team who have passed away. Seven people who wrestled at WrestleMania that year passed away. (thanks to Brian Hoops)

WrestleMania X

March 20, 1994 in New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden drawing 18,065 ($960,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.68)

The Heavenly Bodies (Del Ray & Pritchard) beat The Bushwhackers when Del Rey pinned Miller.

Owen Hart pinned Bret Hart (20:21).

Bam Bam Bigelow & Luna Vachon beat Doink (Fall) & Dink (6:09) when Bigelow pinned Doink.

Randy Savage beat Crush (9:49) in a "falls count anywhere" match when Crush couldn't return to the ring in 60 seconds.

WWF Women's Champ Alundra Blayze pinned Lelani Kai (3:20).

Men on a Mission beat WWF Tag Champs The Quebecers (7:41) via countout.

WWF World Champ Yokozuna beat Lex Luger (14:40) via DQ. Mr. Perfect was the special referee.

Earthquake pinned Adam Bomb (0:32).

WWF I-C Champ Razor Ramon beat Shawn Michaels (18:47) in a "ladder" match.

Bret Hart pinned Yokozuna (10:38) to win the WWF World Title. Roddy Piper was the special referee.

Did not highlight Yoko twice

Seven people who "wrestled" along with Perfect as Special Ref. A few others like Lex and Hall who have been in some rough shape... even Piper's health has been poor at times.

When you lay it out like the above, it is a bit alarming. It is nearly 20 years ago, so on a level it's not like 7/8 dropping dead from the 2010 card. But 1994... it's not like those guys were 45 year old Ric Flair working on the card and dying in their late 50s.

Not to defend Dave... but yeah... it's a little hard to look at all that red above. :/

John

It's really hard to believe that Vince McMahon wasn't aware that the interview would happen. We already know they were trying to work us into believing Lesnar had quit before Raw, so they could have a gotcha moment. I suppose Cena has the plausible deniability with the "I was knocked too silly to know what I was doing" angle, but it still seems unlikely.

I'm not believing any of the bullshit that is getting reported around the end of that match. There's been so many different reports, and a lot of them conflicting so I'm going to label it all bullshit and think that John Cena and Brock went backstage and told each other "hey man good match" then left and did their own thing. The end.

I don't really understand why they even have their creative staff. All their big stuff gets done by a very small group of people. It's obvious they don't trust the creative team with the really big stuff. Like does anyone even know who originally came up with the Nexus idea? I never heard that even get reported. And almost nobody knew that was going to happen before it did. Don't know why they just don't have those few people book, along with input from the talent themselves. But then I guess you wouldn't have anyone to come up backstage skits like Paul Bearer being stuffed into a freezer.