Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

And people are complaining about Dave's math. ;)

Is Dave's math bad? I certainly don't get that impression when listening to the podcast and he pulls some quick mental arithmetic when calculating, say, percentage changes. Bryan, on the other hand, seems to struggle with anything like that.

I think I read quite a lot of complaints regarding the Hall of Fame voting (or rather the scoring) which is often simplified as "Dave's math sucks". But yes, I agree. Dave seems to be pretty good in mental arithmetic.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So UFC is going to have Brandon Vera in the main event to UFC on FOX IV against Shogun. The same Brandon Vera that hasn't been relevant in over 5 years and hasn't looked good since 2006. The same Vera that was fired and only rehired back because Thiago Silva used fake urine in their fight where Vera's face was destroyed. The same Vera that suffered knockdowns and got his arm ripped apart by Eliot Marshall of all people, and still got a bad decision win in the Fall of 2011. I can already predict that Dana's going to be furious at Meltzer again in August when the ratings come back. Awful, awful main event.

I hope that's not the main event, because it's going to get killed in the ratings. Just the wrong match for TV. It would be OK for a PPV semi-main, but it will have no casual fan interest. I'd move Ortiz vs. Griffin III to the show, as Silva vs. Sonnen II doesn't need the support and even though both guys are washed up, they are still big names to the general public.

It's currently being called:

UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera

http://www.ufc.com/event/FOX4#/fight

Machida vs Bader might be a better draw, but we have this clusterfuck of results:

* Rua has lost 2 out of his last 3

* Machida has lost 3 of his last 4 (4 out of 5 if you count his robbery of Rua)

* Bader is 2-2 in 2011-12, one of those wins over a mess of a Rampage

Bader-Machida would be a better draw if Machida hadn't been so completely exposed.

The coming schedule is really a mess. Some things of interest, but it's a mess.

Putting Shogun on a network show is smart since he has some name value. They're still being ridiculously dense by not using Griffin-Ortiz for Fox (and they really should be reserving the LHWs with name value but who won't sell PPVs as Fox main eventers in general), but Shogun vs someone is much better than Stann vs Lombard.

Brandon Vera, though? Really?

Putting Shogun on a network show is smart since he has some name value. They're still being ridiculously dense by not using Griffin-Ortiz for Fox (and they really should be reserving the LHWs with name value but who won't sell PPVs as Fox main eventers in general), but Shogun vs someone is much better than Stann vs Lombard.

I don't know, Stann vs. Lombard was a much easier fight to hype to the public with Stann's military background and Lombard's undefeated streak. Shogun vs. Vera has nothing going for it. I know people would have complained about it, but they would have been much better doing Shogun vs. Machida III and Bader vs. Vera on the undercard.

I don't know, Stann vs. Lombard was a much easier fight to hype to the public with Stann's military background and Lombard's undefeated streak. Shogun vs. Vera has nothing going for it. I know people would have complained about it, but they would have been much better doing Shogun vs. Machida III and Bader vs. Vera on the undercard.

They need to make Stann and I trust UFC to know how to push his background, but he needs a name opponent to pop a rating, and none of the name Middleweights or former Middleweights are available. Franklin and Wanderlei are booked, Leben is suspended, Hendo is booked for a title shot at 205...Bisping would've worked well but he was booked on another show and then got injured.

They need to make Stann and I trust UFC to know how to push his background, but he needs a name opponent to pop a rating, and none of the name Middleweights or former Middleweights are available. Franklin and Wanderlei are booked, Leben is suspended, Hendo is booked for a title shot at 205...Bisping would've worked well but he was booked on another show and then got injured.

They can't make Stann. That's the problem. Either you're good or you're not.

Poor Dave

???

No Jerry Blackwell.

?????

Jerry was in one of the previous ones the other day

Which of these people/acts most deserves a spot on the Hall of Fame ballot?

Iron Sheik 47.3%

Valiant Brothers 9.9%

Sheepherders/Bushwhackers 9.9%

Bob Orton Jr. 6.8%

Toru Tanaka & Mr. Fuji 7.5%

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell 6.1%

Stan Stasiak 3.2%

Paul Jones 2.9%

Bearcat Wright 2.1%

Bob Roop 2.1%

Cyclone Negro 0.8%

Victor Rivera 0.3%

Which of these people most deserves a spot on the Hall of Fame ballot?

Paul Orndorff 27.0%

Greg Valentine 22.0%

Don Muraco 13.6%

Peter Maivia 9.8%

Rocky Johnson 5.1%

Kevin Von Erich 4.5%

Tommy Rich 4.3%

Ken Patera 4.0%

Jerry Blackwell 2.8%

David Von Erich 2.5%

John Studd 2.3%

Blackjack Lanza 2.0%

• 2 weeks later...

Man Muraco continues to be bizarrely overrated.

Say what you want about Blackwell, but no way in hell anyone with even a passing knowledge of his career could justify voting anyone on that list over Patera, aside from MAYBE Tommy Rich and Orndorff.

I think Muraco would be a better choice than Orndorff. Mr. Wonderful had one great year as a draw agains Hogan (as far as I can remember), while Muraco was a draw in San Francisco, Hawaii and the WWF. Plus he's had way better matches and more big titles.

Man Muraco continues to be bizarrely overrated.

Say what you want about Blackwell, but no way in hell anyone with even a passing knowledge of his career could justify voting anyone on that list over Patera, aside from MAYBE Tommy Rich and Orndorff.

I think Muraco would be a better choice than Orndorff. Mr. Wonderful had one great year as a draw agains Hogan (as far as I can remember), while Muraco was a draw in San Francisco, Hawaii and the WWF. Plus he's had way better matches and more big titles.

Muraco is horrendously overrated as a worker. He certainly had some very good performances in his career, but he was maybe the ultimate lazy guy, who was dogshit when he didn't try which was FAR more often than some would have you believe.

Orndorff was Hogan's best drawing opponent, to the point where he got two separate runs with him IIRC. He was as big a star in the Southeast as Muraco was anywhere else and while he probably wasn't as good a worker as Muraco when Muraco was in give a shit mode, he was far more consistent.

I wouldn't vote for Orndorff, but I could see an argument for it. Unless someone has got some major numbers on Muraco I've managed to miss, I can't see a real argument for him.