Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

Someone at PWT just uploaded a metric ton of old WONs. Which could mean that Loss is no longer the only one able to do recaps, hint hint.

About how many old WONs from 87-95 are on Meltzer's site or PWT? I own hard copies from 84-86, but have never subscribed to Meltzer's site or PWT to see what they have online from past WONs. Do they just have sporadic issues posted, or complete annual sets?

I used to do Loss-style recaps from my hard copies, but stopped because it's very time consuming.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how much of old WONs are available at any given moment online, but I'll say that he's worked from '91 through '93 over the last couple years. I haven't looked in-depth to see how much is on the torrent, but the sense I get is that it covers ~84 through to where the current 'old WON of the week' series picks up. And it's in the form of scans, which isn't the easiest way to read them...

And even OCR would run into problems with a lot of issues. Dave had that bad typewriter for a long time, got a new one, then went back to the bad one for a couple of issus when the bad one went out. Dave's formating also might drive OCR on occassion as well. It would take a massive amount of work.

Bryan would be far better off looking to just PDF the oldest ones. It does make it difficult to monetize them, or prevent people from lifting them and distributing them (right click + save). But it certain would be a "feel good" for subs to have the library up there.

John

And even OCR would run into problems with a lot of issues. Dave had that bad typewriter for a long time, got a new one, then went back to the bad one for a couple of issus when the bad one went out. Dave's formating also might drive OCR on occassion as well. It would take a massive amount of work.

Bryan would be far better off looking to just PDF the oldest ones. It does make it difficult to monetize them, or prevent people from lifting them and distributing them (right click + save). But it certain would be a "feel good" for subs to have the library up there.

It's easier to lift the newsletters that are up now.

When coming across large amounts of text online, I find it far easier to save a PDF to the hard drive than it is to highlight & copy & paste & format into a text editor. Especially if you have a list of links given the choice between these two:

* direct link to a PDF

* link to a html page with the text

Obviously one could save the html page rather than lifting the text. But the formating on those html pages suck, and you have all the non-issue items in the HTML also. I'd just as soon have a PDF of the WON in original format if it's a case of reading it.

If it's a matter of cutting & pasting specific info out of content online (for example a specific section of a law or code), then sure... I'd just as soon have text where I can copy the item I want. In the WON's case, an example might be the Results section.

But if I want to read and/or save for future reference an entire thing, give me a searchable PDF.

John

The person who scanned Jeff's list for him had OCR on. It didn't go very well thanks to that typeset.

As far as which is easier to copy, the WON has been copied illicitly a lot more post-merger than it was when it was hard copy only. That isn't to say that it didn't happen before, but it wasn't nearly as widespread and was limited to one guy. In fact, Dave has said that one of the reasons he put the newsletter back online was that it was pirated anyway.

PDF is starting to become more of a nuisance. I prefer something that I can just paste into a Word document with the proper spacing and email to my Kindle. As far as fully formatted documents, the ebook formats (most notably ePub and MobiPocket) will probably be usurping PDF eventually. They can read just as well on a PC but also be read easily on ebook readers. If your reader doesn't support one, then it can be easily converted while retaining most, if not all of the formatting. They're basically zipped up HTML + images + formatting along with a location based system that maintains proper formatting regardless of how you adjust the font size, spacing, etc.

Someone at PWT just uploaded a metric ton of old WONs. Which could mean that Loss is no longer the only one able to do recaps, hint hint.

I don't want to step on Loss' toes, but I might give that a shot

Would it be ok for someone to start like a catch-all thread for things found in that PWT pack? I've had a couple interesting things I wanted to post about, but not do whole write-ups of issues. One is an issue right after George Scott is removed as the booker that says the new booking team would be Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan and Tito Santana. There's no way Tito was ever a booker right? I've never heard anything about it in his shoots or anyone else's. It was the July 7, 1986 issue.

I would think that Loss won't mind, especially since he loves the famous Dave quotes about WCW thread at DVDVR.

As far as that specific story goes, that's a good question. There's stuff in the WONs from that period that haven't really stuck around as stories if they were true, like the idea that Bruno/Vince vs Ventura/Danny Davis was planned for WM3. That one at least fits with how things were playing out on TV and, if true, it makes sense that plans would've changed for certain reasons (Dynamite's injury -> Bulldogs will only drop the titles to the Harts -> Davis's full-fleged turn is a perfect fit for the title switch -> at that point the Bulldogs have to be Davis's WM opponents -> but they needed a third guy both to even out the teams and to pick up the slack for Dynamite so they retconned Tito's IC Title loss so he could join in).

I like that TNA mentioned they were trending on Twitter and about 30 minutes later, Matt Hardy debuts and instead of Hardy trending, Tyler Reks is. I guess people though since Matt now has a similar hairstyle like Reks, they are the same person? It's pretty funny. This deserves a Cageside Seats post.

In retrospect, was WWE's best work of the past decade convincing folks that the Hardys weren't crazy, drug addicted messes? It's especially impressive considering both had at least one Wellness violation (couldn't remember if Matt was at one or two).

Jeff is lucky that the Wellness Program didn't cover his entire time with the promotion. Lord knows how many dope tests he flunked in the WWF/WWE, and how many other times the company believed he was in bad shape but it just didn't happen to be his turn for dope testing.

John

In retrospect, was WWE's best work of the past decade convincing folks that the Hardys weren't crazy, drug addicted messes? It's especially impressive considering both had at least one Wellness violation (couldn't remember if Matt was at one or two).

It's wrestling. The WWF lockerroom wasn't as open about its drug use as the ECW one. But still.