Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Low Ki but if there ever was a wrestler that did not fit into what WWE is trying to do, it is him. He's small, never really works a lot of short matches and is stiff a lot of the time. Plus he is not a great talker.

I like to think that WWE is getting away from their stigma of wrestlers being used based on size but then I think of a Chris Masters de-push and mocking in a promo here or a signing/pushing of an Ezekial Jackson there and the U.S. Champion Daniel Bryan's seem a lot more few and far between.

I'm sure Low Ki will not be short for work as he can just go back to Japan or whatever, but as long as he was down in FCW, and winning NXT, it seems odd that they would just up and cut him NOW.

He seems to rub everyone the wrong way, plus he was the latest "punish the guy the internet likes" whipping boy. He didn't seem to take that well either, unlike Daniel Bryan who just went with it and ended up winning over the whole locker room (I remember John Cena going to bat for him on Twitter after Tie-gate).

Guest kowking

He seems to rub everyone the wrong way, plus he was the latest "punish the guy the internet likes" whipping boy. He didn't seem to take that well either, unlike Daniel Bryan who just went with it and ended up winning over the whole locker room (I remember John Cena going to bat for him on Twitter after Tie-gate).

I don't think Danielson ever had to win over the locker room. My understanding is he was popular, at least well-respected, from day one. Dude's workrate is through the roof and I've never read a story about him being anything other than hard-working and personable. Ki, on the other hand, has pissed everybody off at one time or another.

I figured the association with LayCool (and it seemingly going well) would be the best thing for him, because if he got Michelle on his side he'd have a good chance at having Taker on his side....but alas, it wasn't meant to be

Which brings up an interesting (?) question, when Taker is injured does he still travel with his wife to tapings and whatnot, or does he just chill at home?

Here's something a little bit sad to me personally: the oldest arena in Nashville, the Fairgrounds, is being torn down. Post-USWA fans would know it best as the "Asylum", where TNA held its weekly PPVs for the first two years. Apparently the current mayor has some kind of weird scheme to use the land for some other project. But the building itself is a fairly interesting piece of wrestling history. It was actually designed and built specifically as a professional wrestling venue, on behalf of Nick Gulas; it was even officially renamed the Nick Gulas Sports Arena two years ago. How many venues have been deliberately built for wrestling? I'm told the Dallas Sportatorium was, but I'm blanking on any others in this country.

As a building, it's... okay. It's basically just a big concrete box, maybe a little bigger than the ECW arena. And the dressing rooms (plural, one for faces and one for heels) are infamously tiny. But still, a lot of folks will miss that place. Including me. I only worked there a couple of times (one of my fonder memories from the biz is commentating a Terry Funk match in that place), but I attended countless shows there as a fan. Even when it was pitifully empty, there was a certain unnameable charm which the good sports arenas always have. I saw half the guys in the American wrestling business wrestle in this place, and I'll be sad to see it go.

For a little while, it looked like the last wrestling show there would be a house show that TNA ran a little while back. What a great legacy it would've been to have Pope Dinero vs Jeff Hardy as the last match in this place, huh? Well, thankfully, that's not the case. On January 29th, Reno Riggins's indy fed Showtime All-star Wrestling is holding the final show this building will ever see. Main event: Jerry Lawler versus Bill Dundee, bah gawd. With Dutch Mantell as the guest ref, too. A variety of other familiar old faces are on the card: Tracy Smothers, Wolfie D, Brian Christopher, Doug Gilbert, Tony Falk, Jerry Lynn, Kid Kash, and also a buncha younger Southern guys like David Young, Derrick King, and Chris Michaels filling up the undercard. If you can go, I'd recommend it; they're selling tickets online here (yes, this is a fairly reputable company and there shouldn't be any IWA Midsouth-style shenanigans with the tickets). I won't be there, I live too far away nowadays, but it should be a fond farewell.

I'll always remember going to the final wrestling show at the old Philly Civic Center. During the 80's, my pals and I were there for almost every Crockett show. They announced that WCW was going to run one last show there on May 18, 1996. It was about a few months before the NWO started. At the time, I hadn't been to a live show in many years, and my wife at the time said that I should go, and she'd come with me even though she basically just tolerated wrestling. We went, and the place looked so small to me, and it was only half full. Funny that a year later WCW would be selling out the Spectrum. We saw a show that had Benoit/ Eddie as the opener that made both me and my wife go "Holy shit.", an awful Wallstreet/ Duggan match, Nasty Boys vs. Public Enemy, Flair vs Savage with Bruno Sammartino as ref, Sting vs the Giant in the main event, Harlem Heat vs some team I don't recall, and some other matches. It was a blast, and I still smile when I remember that the place still smelled like stale beer, popcorn, and weed, just like it did when I was 16.

Thanks for bringing up the final show at the Fairgrounds, Jingus. I probably wouldn't have known about it otherwise, but now that I know, I am trying to make arrangement to make the 15 hour drive from central NJ to Nashville to see the show. I've loved Memphis style wrestling for a long time but never actually seen a show in person, so getting to see Lawler/Dundee at the final show at the Nashville Fairgrounds, especially with the Mid South Coliseum and Louisville Gardens no longer running wrestling shows, would be a big deal to me.

Anyone who gives an iota about this year of ROH and the Final Battle show NEED to listen to Alan4Ls free F4W interview with Kevin Steen. Honestly one of the best interviews ever on that site

In it he explains the real reason why he left ROH (damaged some HDnet cameras) while the "reliable" sites reported a few months ago that he needed knee surgery, a report Steen called bullshit on. Seems Cornette floated the knee surgery angle.

The knee situation is all what Dave & Chico had been talking about before and after the show so Corny snowed them in.

Kevin just called total bullshit , wasnt even a cover story with his cooperation it seems. All in all Steen seems very cut up about it and would go back tomorrow if he had his way. Havent watched much ROH and Steen was very vague about how he damaged the cameras. Any have any details? Was it in a brawl or something?

Guest kowking

You missed the other important parts:

they were mad at him for licking and kissing fans to sell his madness, and there were a number of creative differences throughout the angle where others wanted to end the feud but Steen keep pushing (and winning) to continue it.

there were a number of creative differences throughout the angle where others wanted to end the feud but Steen keep pushing (and winning) to continue it.

Seems pretty obvious he was right considering the FB buyrate increase and widespread praise for the blowoff match.

Anyone who gives an iota about this year of ROH and the Final Battle show NEED to listen to Alan4Ls free F4W interview with Kevin Steen. Honestly one of the best interviews ever on that site

Where is it? I looked everywhere imaginable on the free WO site, and it looks like they haven't posted any free audio at all for several days now.

Havent watched much ROH and Steen was very vague about how he damaged the cameras. Any have any details? Was it in a brawl or something?

Yeah, this sounds odd. Don't think I've ever heard of a wrestling getting fired because they broke a camera.

Guest kowking

Where is it? I looked everywhere imaginable on the free WO site, and it looks like they haven't posted any free audio at all for several days now.

Havent watched much ROH and Steen was very vague about how he damaged the cameras. Any have any details? Was it in a brawl or something?

Yeah, this sounds odd. Don't think I've ever heard of a wrestling getting fired because they broke a camera.

here ya go dude

http://media002.f4wonline.com/free/122410dks.mp3

Guest kowking

I'd say if it was done intentionally or recklessly, it would warrant firing. Those cameras are muy expensive.

You've never been in a business where making, retaining, and satisfying stars is important, I take it.

I'd say if it was done intentionally or recklessly, it would warrant firing. Those cameras are muy expensive.

You've never been in a business where making, retaining, and satisfying stars is important, I take it.

Actually, I am currently in that type of business. Television news needs recognizable faces as anchors and reporters to draw in viewers. I've repeatedly seen very well-known personalities get let go due to financial reasons (which is basically why Steen was let go, when you get down to it).

ROH has lost Joe, Punk, Danielson, Styles, London, etc. since it's beginning and they've kept going. I can't say if they're more or less successful in terms of eyes on their product or money. I'd imagine that if Steen did something to piss off HDNet, who's television time is important to ROH, they would have no problem letting him go. While he may be entertaining, it's not like he's not replaceable.

I was sitting 2nd row at the last show RoH did in Manassas, Virginia and the guy sitting one seat over in front of me was heckling Steen, and Steen responding by kissing him directly on the mouth. From my vantage point it looked pretty sloppy too. While my buddies and I thought it was hilarious, the guy seemed pretty shocked and repeated "I can't believe that" a few times.

So, it wouldn't shock me if they were getting complaints about that.

Guest kowking

Actually, I am currently in that type of business. Television news needs recognizable faces as anchors and reporters to draw in viewers. I've repeatedly seen very well-known personalities get let go due to financial reasons (which is basically why Steen was let go, when you get down to it).

ROH has lost Joe, Punk, Danielson, Styles, London, etc. since it's beginning and they've kept going. I can't say if they're more or less successful in terms of eyes on their product or money. I'd imagine that if Steen did something to piss off HDNet, who's television time is important to ROH, they would have no problem letting him go. While he may be entertaining, it's not like he's not replaceable.

I didn't mean to be so flippant. I certainly understand it happens. My point was more that show business requires you to tolerate your top draws when they do bad shit, which has been true from Michael Jordan (sports show business) to [insert a Wrestler] (wrestling show business) to various boozy newspaper columnists. It doesn't always hold, though.

I was sitting 2nd row at the last show RoH did in Manassas, Virginia and the guy sitting one seat over in front of me was heckling Steen, and Steen responding by kissing him directly on the mouth. From my vantage point it looked pretty sloppy too. While my buddies and I thought it was hilarious, the guy seemed pretty shocked and repeated "I can't believe that" a few times.

So, it wouldn't shock me if they were getting complaints about that.

He kissed a dude a few rows in front of me at the Chicago show where he had the I Quit match. And I think he had blood on his face at the time, whether his own, Corino's or Cabana's.