Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton out there still for me to watch.

Sometimes I worry about 'running out', but then someone like you or Will says this and my hope is restored.

I suspect you've topped my by this point. :) I've watched far less than a lot of people.

John

I thought I posted this in this thread, but apparently not?

This is unrelated to the current discussion, but how can the WWE put their logo on matches that were taped in New Japan? I'm referring to the Benoit/Sasuke match on the Benoit set. Do they have rights to the match, or was it something NJPW allowed them to do because of their relationship with Benoit? Similarly, have been other cases like that - where the WWE puts their logo on something that may or may not belong to them?

Another question comes to mind - are the WWE still handing out those threatening cease and desist letters?

Bill Simmons on UFC in his chat today

The UFC has one problem: there's too much turnover at the top level. On the one hand that's good because you're not tied to the fate of 3-4 guys like boxing is right now (and how boxing is being hijacked by this Pacman-Mayweather fight that just isn't happening), but on the other hand, from a mainstream standpoint, there's so much turnover that casual fans don't gain any longterm familiarity with anyone. Chuck Liddell is a great example - right after he blew up and started popping up on magazines, someone beat him and his career was never the same. That seems to keep happening. Brock Lesnar was the latest. I don't know if the sport is built that way - that anyone good can beat anyone else good on any given night, and you just never know - or if they just had bad luck. But they need a signature guy who can last for longer than 18 months AND connect in a mainstream way. The UFC fans would argue that they don't care about the mainstream, and that it's much more fun to follow a sport that keeps you on your toes every month. And there's something to that. They can grind out 12 PPV's a year and because they keep coming up with new names, they're never going to get stuck with an awful show. So I don't know. I like UFC. The problem is that every month it's a $55 pay per view on a Sat. night... that's just a lot to ask from a casual fan. I wish the UFC and WWE allowed people to buy a package every January: 12 pay per views for $350, pay upfront. And also: I'm married and my wife hates the UFC. So that's a tough ask - every 4 Saturdays, a 3 hour pay per view of MMA. I can't be the only person in this boat.

Bill Simmons on UFC in his chat today

But they need a signature guy who can last for longer than 18 months AND connect in a mainstream way.

Surely Bill Simmons realizes he's talking about GSP but does not realize who GSP is despite GSP having a decent level of mainstream recognition in this country, and arguably being the biggest name athlete in Canada all the while being one of the UFC's biggest stars over the last 5 years and one of the most marketable.

Also kind of crazy to think that by the time we get to the Shields fight, GSP would have just celebrated his 3 year anniversary of regaining the Welterweight Title

Oh Bill Simmons how I love thee

In between WWF and WCW, Jesse Ventura did commentary for something called "Grudge Match." It was a ridiculous show where feuding couples faced each other in a best of three physical combat. Its in the category of so over-the-top that its quite amusing to watch.

I have been watching shoots lately because they're good to have on as background noise when working. Yesterday was the recent Nash/Waltman shoot. I really like Nash. What was interesting was towards the end when talking about Kid's attempted suicide. Nash is trying to tell the story, and he breaks down. The guy is basically in tears for the last 15 min of the video, and you can tell he was genuinely uncomfortable about it. To the interviewer's credit, he wasn't going to ask them to talk about it. Waltman brought it up initially, and the interviewer said, "I thought that was too personal - I don't expect you guys to discuss it."

Watching Dutch Mantell Guest Booker shoot. One of the best things he says is that he would have debuted Hardy and RVD on sep shows, because "you don't play two running backs at the same time".

But they did debut on different shows as Hardy debuted on January 4th 2010 and Rob Van Dam debuted on March 8th 2010. I suppose the lesson here is don't let the facts get in the way of a good "shoot" promo.

Watching Dutch Mantell Guest Booker shoot. One of the best things he says is that he would have debuted Hardy and RVD on sep shows, because "you don't play two running backs at the same time".

But they did debut on different shows as Hardy debuted on January 4th 2010 and Rob Van Dam debuted on March 8th 2010. I suppose the lesson here is don't let the facts get in the way of a good "shoot" promo.

Haha, nice one. I was thinking they were on the same show, too. Jeff appeared and sat on top of the X-cage -- that was his big debut. And then RVD later on the show. But then, I am not a rasslin industry professional who should recall such things. Nor do I keep up with TNA religiously.

The shoot with Dutch was pretty interesting, but man was he bitter at every thing and every one.

Anyone watch Adult Swim's Mongo Wrestling Alliance? It's fucked up -- and pretty darn knowledgeable.

The main character graduates from Far West Texas State, for one thing. It's really got a sense of the cliches. I am excited for the next episode. It reminds me of the episode of Squidbillies where Mick Foley voiced a Hulk Hogan character.

Anyone watch Adult Swim's Mongo Wrestling Alliance? It's fucked up -- and pretty darn knowledgeable.

The main character graduates from Far West Texas State, for one thing. It's really got a sense of the cliches. I am excited for the next episode. It reminds me of the episode of Squidbillies where Mick Foley voiced a Hulk Hogan character.

I caught a little of it. I'll probably start watching. I loved "La Infestacion" and that there's a hillbilly wrestler.

In between WWF and WCW, Jesse Ventura did commentary for something called "Grudge Match." It was a ridiculous show where feuding couples faced each other in a best of three physical combat. Its in the category of so over-the-top that its quite amusing to watch.

Additonal tidbit: Jesse did what I *think* is his first commentating gig as a colour guy for the local Minnesota Toughman contests that spawned Kevin "Nailz" Walcholz. It would have been lat 83-early 84.

A note from Wiki on the creator:

After leaving the Conan O'Brien show, Blacha went on to work for WWE in 1999 as a Creative Director. At WWE he helped come up with new plotlines and stories for the company. This role put him in bit parts for the fights themselves, where while playing a medic he once ended up getting slammed into a table by the wrestler Kane. Tommy also participated in what was voted Monday Night Raw's worst moment, which was the delivery of Mae Young's hand baby.

Looks like WWE might be bringing back Booker T. His last reign in TNA was pretty embarrassing as he was going into business for himself and doing goofy accents and voices during serious angles to see if he could land acting gigs. If this is not just a short run I could see him mentoring some of the younger guys in the ring

Edit: looks like Meltz said he could also show up in TNA on Monday

I would think there's more money in WWE, plus maybe there's the outside possibility that if WWE ever gave up on FCW, that they would have him run developmental out of Houston. That Booker spent a lot of money on it, and had Austin and Undertaker living close and willing to volunteer time and they snubbed him, is something where I can understand why it angered him.

I also think King Booker has more legs as a gimmick than Booker T at this point, especially if they bring in Sharmell too.

But I'd wager his days on top are over. I'd expect more of a Goldust-type role if he gets signed.

I would think there's more money in WWE, plus maybe there's the outside possibility that if WWE ever gave up on FCW, that they would have him run developmental out of Houston. That Booker spent a lot of money on it, and had Austin and Undertaker living close and willing to volunteer time and they snubbed him, is something where I can understand why it angered him.

I also think King Booker has more legs as a gimmick than Booker T at this point, especially if they bring in Sharmell too.

But I'd wager his days on top are over. I'd expect more of a Goldust-type role if he gets signed.

Personally, I'd like to see Booker in the booth. Him and Scott Stanford would be great. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him vs Sheamus over the King moniker.