Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

I think the foodstamp story is a little overblown because Jesse Neal was hurt and out for a while, and in TNA if you don't work you don't get paid. Now that still is scummy for a company trying to make itself the better option to WWE for fans and wrestlers alike, but people are making it sound like his base pay qualified them for welfare.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't been out long, though. Ink Inc worked at Sacrifice, which was only a month ago. So either he hasn't been careful with his money; or more likely, TNA was paying him so little that missing a couple weeks' worth of salary was enough to practically bankrupt him. Especially considering that he's got a big advantage over most other injured TNA wrestlers, since he's a military veteran and gets free healthcare.

Yeah, at least in part. I wonder exactly what TNA's policy about paying medical bills is, regarding the top guys. Do they foot the bill for Hogan, Angle, and Sting getting their various surgeries? It would be typical of them to do that, buying healthcare only for the guys who can already afford it. But I'd be interested to find out the details of how they handle that sort of thing. They might just say "hey, we're already paying you millions of dollars per year, just deal with it" or maybe go halfsies, or who knows.

He hasn't been out long, though. Ink Inc worked at Sacrifice, which was only a month ago. So either he hasn't been careful with his money; or more likely, TNA was paying him so little that missing a couple weeks' worth of salary was enough to practically bankrupt him. Especially considering that he's got a big advantage over most other injured TNA wrestlers, since he's a military veteran and gets free healthcare.

To be fair, how many people out there live paycheck to paycheck? Bunches. Ninety percent of us working stiffs are one bad break away from food stamps.

True, but this isn't some guy manning a cash register 9-5 that we're talking about here. It's a (theoretical) celebrity, risking life and limb in the ring, on a nationally televised program which is viewed by over a million people every week. And they've got twin money marks in the form of Panda and Spike funding this thing, and the main eventers are all millionaires. Yet apparently their lower-half employees don't take home more money than they would at McDonalds, even including PPV payoffs.

But it's a chance to get exposure on an international level!

Bullshit aside, short of being offered a lot of money upfront, I don't know why anyone would want to work for TNA.

Delirious doesn't

From the latest Observer

Hunter Johnston (Delirious), who is the booker here, (ROH) did get a TNA offer recently, which he turned down. Johnston didn’t even know if those at TNA who contacted him were even aware he was the booker here.

Getting into WCW TV from 1989, and I get a kick out pf a lot of little things : the infamous Randy Hogan jobber who looked like Hogan with Savage's kneepads and boots; Dave Heath (aka Gangrel) as a young and fat jobber squashed by Abby. Despite the numerous squash matches, watching those old NWA episodes is so much fun nowadays. Great promos galore (Flair, Sullivan, RW, Cornette, Heyman), cool squashes from the Varsity Club (Sullivan was always an awesome squash match worker) and the Road Warriors, a few really good competitive matches. Why isn't wrestling like this anymore ?...

Keep an eye out for Billy Gunn jobbing to the Road Warriors as Kip Montana.

Getting into WCW TV from 1989, and I get a kick out pf a lot of little things : the infamous Randy Hogan jobber who looked like Hogan with Savage's kneepads and boots; Dave Heath (aka Gangrel) as a young and fat jobber squashed by Abby. Despite the numerous squash matches, watching those old NWA episodes is so much fun nowadays. Great promos galore (Flair, Sullivan, RW, Cornette, Heyman), cool squashes from the Varsity Club (Sullivan was always an awesome squash match worker) and the Road Warriors, a few really good competitive matches. Why isn't wrestling like this anymore ?...

Keep an eye out for Billy Gunn jobbing to the Road Warriors as Kip Montana.

I will !

From the Creative Recall blog:

So apparently Smackdown has a new lead writer in Ed Koskey. Ed was moved from NXT to Smackdown. I actually really like Ed and think he is a really good guy but I just don’t understand the philosophy that Vince imposes on the creative staff. People are put in positions based on seniority as opposed to creative ability. Ed is extremely creative but he has also been in the company for 10 years. WWE needs a fresh coat of paint and the same guys put in different positions won’t give that feel. Although this move is great news for ECW/NXT alum currently on the Smackdown roster.

This is a pretty interesting piece of news for those who listen to Dave Lagana's podcast or have read about the dynamic of the Smackdown creative team - Hayes not listening to ideas and those under him only creating copy for him as a result. That's before you move onto gaff's legit the Mark Henry incident, singing at the HHH-Steph wedding and the plane ride from hell.

Quick question: where is the atomic drop meant to impact?

I mean is the small of the back/ ass meant to connect with the knee or not? Something I've never been sure of.

It's supposed to impact the spine. Basically, you get your tailbone rattled and it hurts.

I suppose the reason it's not done as much is because too many wrestlers just don't know how to sell it. Case in point: Scott Hall, who always acts like it hurt his crotch.