Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with the slideshows. I kind of feel bad for the author since it's obviously not their choice, but when sites do such an obvious and blatant attempt to maximize pageviews with shit like slideshows and multiple (and often unnecessary) page breaks, it's a huge demotivator to keep reading a site.

There's actually not really any pressure on us to do them, they just happen to attract more readers than other stuff (sometimes dramatically more), can be fun to write, and are a good structure for certain evergreen and historical stuff. The way I see it is that as long as you don't go cheap/lazy/overboard/however you want to put it with them, there's nothing wrong with them, especially at BR where the next slide loads instantly, unlike most other sites. The lack of load time and addition of keyboard shortcuts (you can go forward/back using your keyboard's Left and right arrow keys) make a well executed BR slideshow completely painless, IMO.

So, I'm kind of feeling up for a new challenge in wrestling. With all of the talk of U.K. wrestling I thought that might be an interesting thing to explore. I know very little about it. So where would someone start with the U.K. Do I look for old comps with someone I know something about like Johnny Saint. Just some advice. I buy from IVP regularly and he has some comp stuff on there. Thinking I might sneak one or two in next time I order.

So, I'm kind of feeling up for a new challenge in wrestling. With all of the talk of U.K. wrestling I thought that might be an interesting thing to explore. I know very little about it. So where would someone start with the U.K. Do I look for old comps with someone I know something about like Johnny Saint. Just some advice. I buy from IVP regularly and he has some comp stuff on there. Thinking I might sneak one or two in next time I order.

Are you opposed to watching stuff online/on your computer?

http://www.youtube.com/user/tellumyort has hundreds of matches on his channel

There's a lot that pops up on diffren torrent sites from time to time to download and there's a pretty good chunk of stuff in the matches forum at DVDVR

As for what to check out, here's a short list of some of the better matches i've seen

12/30/1972 Steve Veidor vs Jim Moser

1/6/1973 John Naylor vs Jacky Ricard

3/14/1973 Johnny Saint vs Jim Breaks

5/5/1973 (British Lightweight Title) Jim Breaks © vs Johnny Saint

8/15/1974 John Naylor vs Zoltan Boscik

11/2/1974 Abe Ginsberg vs Pete Curry

4/26/1975 Alan Serjeant vs Robby Baron

11/8/1975 Steve Veidor vs Al Hayes (The same Al Hayes of WWF fame)

5/21/1977 (World Lightweight Title) Johnny Saint © vs Kader Hassouni

10/8/1977 Pete Roberts & Kung Fu vs Johnny Kincaid & Butcher Bond

3/22/1980 Mick McMichael vs Vic Faulkner

3/15/1986 (World Mid Heavyweight Title) Marty Jones © vs Johnny Kincaid

5/31/1986 (World Mid-Heavyweight Title) Marty Jones © vs Bull Blitzer (aka Steve Wright, Alex Wright's dad)

No Date, shouldn't be too hard to find - (The Rockers) Peter Lapaque & Tommy Lorne vs (The Fabulous Royals) Bert Royal & Vic Faulkner

As for the original Kennel match, was there anyone in WWF in '99 who would have been around the Oregon territory to see that?

Stan Stasiak was on the card and Shawn Stasiak would've been almost 11 years old at the time, so I guess that it's possible he remembered it and mentioned it to someone.

If your not adverse to it all being in Welsh, Reslo is good value. I may have some old tapes around here somewhere recorded off TV. I'll have a look.

I haven't usually been linking my non-newsy stuff from Bleacher Report over here but I will advise you to read 5 Things You May Not Know About Hell in a Cell Matches solely for slide #4 (3rd slide after the intro), which is an obscure piece of wrestling trivia that I wish everyone knew because it's so left field.

Holy crow, Bix. How did you even know that?

Provided that the kennel from hell match was directly inspired by the Portland match, the only logical explanation I have is Cornette. He's always been a huge tape buff, and used to subscribe to all kinds of newsletters and wrestler fan clubs before he got into the business.

Anyone listen to Bryan's interview with Court Bauer? Pretty interesting look at how toxic the culture is at WWE, especially how he pointed out that Vince Russo is the wrestling equivalent of a cockroach who could survive nuclear holocaust and in Court's words "even he left that fucking company". Also the impending Kevin Dunn vs Steph/HHH war should be interesting as well. Say what you will about a guy who has teeth like billboards deciding if someone is attractive enough for TV, but no one seems to argue how large a part Dunn played in getting their TV production to the point where it's the gold standard in wrestling. Will it stay that way after he's gone?

Guest Slickster

In fairness to Kevin Dunn, it's been proven time and again that you yourself don't need to be attractive in order to know who has a good look.

It's like saying you can't judge wrestling unless you're a wrestler yourself.

Christ... I suspect that people in the booking committees said things that could get the company sued. I don't even want to think about the things that Cornette over the years has said that would get him sued if he said them in the office across from mine (VP of IT) and they drifted on out into the hallway.

John