Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most awesomely preposterous entrance music ever?

*WRONG*

Most awesomely AWESOME entrance music EVER.

Instantly knew which song this was going to be just by looking at the video title. Haven't heard it in years but it's been perma stuck in my head ever since and ocasionally i'll just randomly sing that shit around the house even now...

Still recall every detail of how it came about too. Orndorff was on a big losing streak and getting all depressed about it, then 1 day a famous tv psychic in a bad curly grey wig (forget his name) appears before him to cheer him up and reimind him that he's MR WONDERFUL dag nabbit and next thing you know he's got this spiffy new song and a magic mirror and he's beating ass again. Greatest of greatness the whole thing....

st by looking at the video title. Haven't heard it in years but it's been perma stuck in my head ever since and ocasionally i'll just randomly sing that shit around the house even now...

Still recall every detail of how it came about too. Orndorff was on a big losing streak and getting all depressed about it, then 1 day a famous tv psychic in a bad curly grey wig (forget his name) appears before him to cheer him up and reimind him that he's MR WONDERFUL dag nabbit and next thing you know he's got this spiffy new song and a magic mirror and he's beating ass again. Greatest of greatness the whole thing....

Gary Spivey

Posted Image

I just assumed it was another dumb WCW gimmick. Imagine my surprise to find out he actually offers his services as a self help guru/psychic, AND the wig is part of his gimmick.

So far WWE/TNA fans seem bewildered by the match psychology in ROH.

I apparently haven't watched much indy wrestling in the last five years because it looked completely nonsensical to me. MMA spots in the same match as some flippy-do stuff doesn't make any fucking sense. Has indy ringwork changed at all since MMA's 'meteoric' rise and the Benoit murders? I'm seeing guys work stiff as hell for an audience of a hundred live and less at home. I know WWE is old fashioned, and pro wrestling itself as a performance is fundamentally old fashioned, but I figured the indy scene would be more forward thinking than just interspersing some armbars in between the brainbusters and package suplexes from the top rope.

I think the number of people in this camp nowadays might be somewhat surprising. It's a combination of a lot of things, not just the ring work (like overly smarky crowds being exceptionally pretentious and annoying). I know that we have touched on it somewhat here lightly, but it's a big reason why I can't get into Davey Richards at all. To me, he comes off as a guy trying to emulate Chris Benoit and he throws in Indy kick pad spots. I REALLY hate those kick spots. It worked on, say, Tajiri. It doesn't work, at all, with guys like Davey Richards, C.M. Punk or Chris Hero. It really does just look like dudes trying to mimic shit they saw on a tape.

Plus, as has been mentioned, a lot of the Indy favorites of yesteryear are either in TNA or WWE now. ROH doesn't have a Punk, Joe or Aries anymore. Hell, last time they had Aries he was leaps and bounds the best part of the show.

Keller & Mitchell's (members-only) in-depth review of the ROH show is highly recommendable. Too many critiques to recap here sadly.

Obviously the lighting, sound and video quality is sub par.

They spent too much time with Nigel given the level of star power he has.

The Bravados & Futureshock have horrible names, were too indy for ROH's very first match & a sports based promotion. If they were going to have two tag matches this shouldnt have been 50/50.

They were way too proud of MOVES over establishing names & characters in their clip clip clip video packages and Kevin Kelly's commentary.

My biggest problem with ROH's first TV show was the constant ads and promos. For as much as people knock TNA, rightfully so, for so little wrestling in their show, Ring of Honor Wrestling wasn't leaps and bounds better. The recap from the Best in the World PPV, the Davey/Eddie recap, and the Lethal clip all could have been jettisoned since none of those wrestlers were on the show.

were too indy for ROH's very first match & a sports based promotion

You know, i've seen this point in diffrent incarnations brought up a lot on diffrent boards the past few days and it's kinda shocking in a way.

The whole "code of honor" "pure wrestling" "sports based" blah blah blah stuff was never anything more then a marketing point to differentiate themselves from "sports entertainmnt" based feds and pander to the smark crowd that hates WWE/TNA and something to use as a crutch to try and get over heels for "breaking the code."

From day 1 ROH has always had plenty of promos, angles, storylines, feuds, heel managers, dudes with wacky gimmicks and other assorted shenanigans and has been about featuring all styles of wrestling from matwork to brawls to flippy shit to comedy to whatever. The very 1st segment on the very 1st show in 2002 featred 2 gay guys making out and a chick being put through a table.

The fact that after all these YEARS they've still got people actually legit buying into the "we're about nothing but honorable no nonsense tech wrestling" gimmick is rather amazing actually. I almost want to give the company kudos for managing to pull that off but in a weird way it's also sorta backfired on them since they seem to have done it too well.

Most awesomely preposterous entrance music ever?

*WRONG*

Most awesomely AWESOME entrance music EVER.

Instantly knew which song this was going to be just by looking at the video title. Haven't heard it in years but it's been perma stuck in my head ever since and ocasionally i'll just randomly sing that shit around the house even now...

I didn't click for the video right away, then I read your post and now I'll never get that entrance out of my head... or Bobby Heenan whistling along to the song.

I haven't usually been linking my non-newsy stuff from Bleacher Report over here but I will advise you to read 5 Things You May Not Know About Hell in a Cell Matches solely for slide #4 (3rd slide after the intro), which is an obscure piece of wrestling trivia that I wish everyone knew because it's so left field.

I'm not sure about board admins, but I for one would prefer you link all your articles when they are posted. Your writing style is excellent and you've even made those slideshows (which I normally detest) tolerable.

Agreed with the slideshows. I kind of feel bad for the author since it's obviously not their choice, but when sites do such an obvious and blatant attempt to maximize pageviews with shit like slideshows and multiple (and often unnecessary) page breaks, it's a huge demotivator to keep reading a site.

Are things like that common? And yeah, it is pretty awesome.

----

After Raw went off the air, the dark match main event was a fatal five-way Hell in a Cell match for the WWE Title, stacking the deck against Cena for the live crowd.

Dark Match: WWE champion John Cena beat C.M. Punk, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger, and U.S. champion Dolph Ziggler in a five-way Hell in a Cell match to retain the WWE Title. Cena won to send the crowd home happy.