Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this sneaking suspicion that this story will morph into "Mark Henry carelessly injured Jerry Lawler" over time.

This will be the "longuest" feud ever in the history of WWE if that happens. Lawler was Henry's very first opponent in 1996 (some IYH in September or October) if I remember correctly. 15 years in the making.

I meant it will be used online in the future as evidence that Mark Henry is bad at his job.

I just recently watched several of the Vader vs. Big Bossman matches from 1994. I remembered enjoying the matches back when I originally watched them but I really loved them this time around. They really had some amazing chemistry together and Bossman looked great despite losing every single match that I saw.

It has a track record of happening with Mark Henry. He was falsely blamed for botching the opening of a cage door and falsely blamed for injuring Batista, for starters.

A few years ago, Lance Storm also got injured working with Mark Henry and Henry got the same bullshit blame from online fans as being a careless worker. On a F4W podcast, Storm went out of his way to say it was just an accident and Henry wasn't a careless/dangerous worker, it was just a case of bad luck. He wrote about how guilty and bad Mark felt and how much of a nice guy Mark actually is:

I remember when I hurt my back working Mark Henry on RAW several years ago a lot of people expected me to be hot at him for it. Mark had me up in a bear hug and ran me into the turnbuckle. At the time the office was encouraging Mark to be intense and he got carried away and drove me into the turnbuckle way too high and a bit too hard. I was having lower back problems to begin with and this was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and after the match I couldn’t walk and had to leave the building on crutches.

Mark could not have felt worse and went above and beyond to make it up to me. He must have apologized 15 – 20 times and offered to carry both me and my luggage out to the car after the show. Knowing Mark he would have been willing and able to carried my car to me if I asked him to. The next day I got a phone call at home from Mark and I know for a fact he didn’t even have my number, so he had to track it down to make the call. Mark was also the first person to ask how I was when I got back on the road and he even offered to fly my to Texas to see his doctor if I wanted. When I guy goes this far out of his way and feels that bad how can you possibly be mad?

It has a track record of happening with Mark Henry. He was falsely blamed for botching the opening of a cage door and falsely blamed for injuring Batista, for starters.

A few years ago, Lance Storm also got injured working with Mark Henry and Henry got the same bullshit blame from online fans as being a careless worker. On a F4W podcast, Storm went out of his way to say it was just an accident and Henry wasn't a careless/dangerous worker, it was just a case of bad luck. He wrote about how guilty and bad Mark felt and how much of a nice guy Mark actually is:

I remember when I hurt my back working Mark Henry on RAW several years ago a lot of people expected me to be hot at him for it. Mark had me up in a bear hug and ran me into the turnbuckle. At the time the office was encouraging Mark to be intense and he got carried away and drove me into the turnbuckle way too high and a bit too hard. I was having lower back problems to begin with and this was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and after the match I couldn’t walk and had to leave the building on crutches.

Mark could not have felt worse and went above and beyond to make it up to me. He must have apologized 15 – 20 times and offered to carry both me and my luggage out to the car after the show. Knowing Mark he would have been willing and able to carried my car to me if I asked him to. The next day I got a phone call at home from Mark and I know for a fact he didn’t even have my number, so he had to track it down to make the call. Mark was also the first person to ask how I was when I got back on the road and he even offered to fly my to Texas to see his doctor if I wanted. When I guy goes this far out of his way and feels that bad how can you possibly be mad?

Contrast that with stories of RVD or Juventud injuring people because they were careless people and didn't give a shit about it. Mark Henry sounds like a genuine nice guy.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Loss, wasn't the only person blaming Henry for Batista's injury Batista? I could almost swear that I read that there wasn't any heat with Vince or managment for the injury happening.

Edit: Nope. Bix mentioned that it was in the WON that it wasn't Henry's fault and the company wasn't blaming him.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=5134

What are the dates for the best Savage/Tito matches?

As far as the MSG series goes (from Cawthon's site):

3/16 86

4/22 86 (no DQ)

5/19 86 (Sammartino ref), which leads to...

6/14 86 Savage/Adonis vs Santana/Bruno

7/12 86 rematch in cage

I haven't seen all of these matches, but of the ones I have they are IIRC pretty good and really heated.

They also wrestled at Boston Garden on 1/11 86, 2/8 86 (the title change I'm sure you've seen before), and 3/8 86. Of these, I've only seen the title change.

In Philly, there was this unique match on 12/7 85: Santana/Tony Atlas vs Savage/Ventura. They wrestled in singles on 3/7 86, 5/10 86, and 5/31 (no DQ). I've never seen any of these matches and don't know what is out there on tape.

As for other matches between the two, I don't know of any others off the top of my head, but there is probably some MLG stuff out there.

As far as the MSG series goes (from Cawthon's site):

3/16 86

4/22 86 (no DQ)

5/19 86 (Sammartino ref), which leads to...

6/14 86 Savage/Adonis vs Santana/Bruno

7/12 86 rematch in cage

I haven't seen all of these matches, but of the ones I have they are IIRC pretty good and really heated.

They also wrestled at Boston Garden on 1/11 86, 2/8 86 (the title change I'm sure you've seen before), and 3/8 86. Of these, I've only seen the title change.

In Philly, there was this unique match on 12/7 85: Santana/Tony Atlas vs Savage/Ventura. They wrestled in singles on 3/7 86, 5/10 86, and 5/31 (no DQ). I've never seen any of these matches and don't know what is out there on tape.

As for other matches between the two, I don't know of any others off the top of my head, but there is probably some MLG stuff out there.

The MSG 4/22/86 is the best I've seen and it's an awesome match. JDW did a great write up of several of the Tito/Savage matches in his WWF 80s reviews a few years back.

This Spectrum 5/31 No DQ match is ok, but not close to the Garden one.

I'd watch (for a complete feud version)

1/86-Boston

2/86- Boston Title Change

3/86- MSG rematch

4/86- MSG No DQ

5/86-MSG w/ Bruno as special ref

6/86-Bruno & Tito/ Savage Adonis

7/86-Bruno & Tito vs Savage/Adonis Cage. (blowoff)

It was a well booked run where Tito gets a measure of revenge with his team winning the cage match, but Randy keeps the title before transitioning into the Dragon feud.

-Paul Jacobi-

What Bob and Ricky said. If I were doing this 1986 Yearbook style, I'd go with (and my ramblings on them linked):

1. 01/11/86 Boston: Tito Santana vs. Randy Savage (13:01)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=10912#10912

2. 02/08/86 Boston: Tito Santana vs. Randy Savage (10:31)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=10913#10913

3. 03/16/86 MSG: Randy Savage vs. Tito Santana (9:30)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=10914#10914

4. 04/22/86 MSG: Randy Savage vs. Tito Santana - No DQ Match (12:23)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=10915#10915

5. 05/19/86 MSG: Randy Savage vs Tito Santana (12:15 of ?)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=11143#11143

6. 06/14/86 MSG: Randy Savage & Adrian Adonis vs Tito Santana & Bruno Sammartino (9:42)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=11145#11145

7. 07/12/86 MSG: Randy Savage & Adrian Adonis vs Tito Santana & Bruno Sammartino - Cage Match (9:52)

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=11147#11147

It's slight overkill on the singles match with five of them, but they do tell stories:

#1-2: Savage chasing & gaining the title (Boston)

#3-5: Tito chasing & failing to regain the title as the matches escalate (MSG)

#5: Bruno & Adrian getting involved

#6-7: the tags with Tito getting his revenge in the blowoff cage match

It does end up telling a very good story. Even things like #3 and #5 are solid/good matches, and lead to the next match... so they are worthwhile to see how we got there.

It also makes for a good contrast to Savage's matches on the 01/27/86 & 02/17/86 MSG cards, which are damn fun Hogan matches.

They're all good enough to recommend for the DVDVR 80s redo. There are some other singles between them as mentioned, but while solid/good, I didn't think they added much that wasn't there in the seven above.

John

I started listening to Colt Cabana's podcast tbis week. Any recommendations for good episodes to listen to?

I actually asked a similar question, what ppls favs were on another forum.

The most recent one with Domino talking about him & Luke Gallows trip to Nigeria is easy hands down the best ep.

My own personal list would have the Cassandro ep as my 2nd fav, Johnny Saint #3 and then in no particular order X-Pac, ICP, Sara Del Rey, Mad Man Pondo, Chris Hero, The Hurricane Helms/Wrestling convention live ep whear Sunny/Curry Man/Bill Apter showed up, Willie Mack, Brian Kendrick, Claudio Castagnoli, Beth Phoenix, Johnny Curtis, Zack Ryder & any of the ones CM Punk & Adam Pearce appeared on as others I thought were really great.

Domino's 1st apperance, Excalibur & Luke Gallows were also pretty consensus picks among other ppl for some of the best eps.

Really though, none of them are bad, I started out picking and choosing myself but then after a while I went back and listened to the whole archive and wasn't disapointed by any of them.

This weeks ep with Bison Smith is pretty awesome and has a lot of interesting highlights.

- Jun Akiyama hated him (Bison doesn't say why) when he first started coming over to the point whear Akiyama would turn his head away if Bison tried to even shake his hand.

- Delerious teaches him yoga & meditation poses

- Doesn't name names but rags on the guys from Harley Race's school who got NOAH tours as being pretty shitty and not knowing how to act in the locker room.

- 1st hand account of the match whear Misawa died and a few details that atleast I personally hadn't heard before like that Misawa had been noticably exhausted and worn out more then usual for about a week previous to the match and that Misawa got hurt badly earlier in the match off a Bison/Saito double team that had Misawa laying on the floor for 5 mins before recovering and continuing the match.

I started listening to Colt Cabana's podcast tbis week. Any recommendations for good episodes to listen to?

The Waltman one is really good, especially if you're a fan of the guy. Armando Estrada and Zach Gowen ones are worth checking out if you've been a follower of WWE in the last 7-8 years. Luke Gallows was awesome and you'd never place his podcast personality with the way he looked and acted on tv. I remember liking the Jimmy Rave one. Claudio's was great because they spent like the first 10 minutes just talking about coffee.

The two Domino ones are really good, especially the recent one about Nigeria, which is must listen material

After writing about the feud earlier today, I thought I'd watch the Santana vs Savage no DQ match from MSG tonight for the first time in years. Great match, no doubt, but ye gods was Ernie Ladd horrible on commentary! Just totally spewing incoherent random comments and getting the Art Donovan-lets-ignore-him-and-maybe-he'll-just-stop-talking treatment from Monsoon and Hayes (who were also bad, forgetting the match was no DQ and getting on the ref's case about letting the wrestlers go too far). This was perhaps the worst commentated great match I've ever seen.

Now I can't shake the image of Mark Henry walking to the car with his head down, dragging two sets of luggage and Lance Storm slung over his shoulder.

Listening to Jim Cornette on with Bryan and Dave today, I can't help but get the impression that the new ROH TV show is modeled after what an NWA territory TV show would be if it happened in 2011. Even down to taping in the Davis Arena of OVW fame since it's very much the modern equivalent to the kind of TV studio Crockett would tape in.

I kind of hope they go all out with it down to having guys do promos hyping local events. "DAVEY RICHARDS, I WILL BE COMING FOR YOU JANUARY 23rd IN J.L. CORPORATECO ENTERTAINMENTPLEX IN ITHACA NY!"