Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is a really cool match. Flair says if Hogan's going to take out his best friend, he's going to take out Hogan's best friend. And no one comes to his aid because he's Hogan's friend. Flair goes a little psycho (jdw's "turn it up to 11" criticism applies here), but Arn Anderson does one of his most famous promos:

"Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes. Things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life. Last week, when they stuffed me in that ambulance, and I looked across and I saw Flair, Sting, Woman, Bagwell and myself, I realized that we were people brought together not by philosophy, but by necessity and I started to think 'New World Order, New World Order, where have I heard that?' And I remembered in the good book it says when the new world order is put into place, it signals the beginning of the end of time. Well, WCW is our world. It's where we live and breathe. And if you wanted to destroy it, Hogan and the Outsiders, you've already made a mistake that jumps off the page. If you're gonna take a baseball bat to a Horseman, finish the job, because there's one rule of gang fighting. See, we are the original gang, and we're the most vicious in all of professional wrestling history. They send one of yours to the hospital? You send one of theirs to the morgue."

This led up to my biggest disapointment with the whole NWO angle. I was salivating to see the Four Horsemen take out the NWO, and despite the awesome start...they just made the Horsemen look stupid. I got that it was going to have to be Sting who finally "saved the day", (and they fucked that up, too), but when they just had the NWO consistently beat up and make the Horsemen look dumb I got more interested in watching McMahon try everything to get back on top.

This is a really cool match. Flair says if Hogan's going to take out his best friend, he's going to take out Hogan's best friend. And no one comes to his aid because he's Hogan's friend. Flair goes a little psycho (jdw's "turn it up to 11" criticism applies here), but Arn Anderson does one of his most famous promos:

"Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes. Things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life. Last week, when they stuffed me in that ambulance, and I looked across and I saw Flair, Sting, Woman, Bagwell and myself, I realized that we were people brought together not by philosophy, but by necessity and I started to think 'New World Order, New World Order, where have I heard that?' And I remembered in the good book it says when the new world order is put into place, it signals the beginning of the end of time. Well, WCW is our world. It's where we live and breathe. And if you wanted to destroy it, Hogan and the Outsiders, you've already made a mistake that jumps off the page. If you're gonna take a baseball bat to a Horseman, finish the job, because there's one rule of gang fighting. See, we are the original gang, and we're the most vicious in all of professional wrestling history. They send one of yours to the hospital? You send one of theirs to the morgue."

Amazing promo.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Man,

Could you imagine HOW good an Southern style feud between the Horsemen and NWO could have been if booked right and kept to a 4 on 4 or 4 on 5 type deal...that promo right there could have kicked off an AMAZING run between them,....but was not to be...

Man, talk about a HUGE Missed opportunity.....Benoit / Arn / Flair / Mongo at first, then Mongo gets kicked out for being a "weak link" and they get a new guy in....against the NWO of Hogan / Hall / Nash / and then Luger turns....have Sting on the outside involved as well...

Salivating...

Funny that Hogan or the NWO dont come out to help Brutus, Hogan's "best friend" and Brutus still shows up at Hog Wild with a cake BEGGING to be NWO....man, he was booked like a bitch...

• 2 months later...

The final destruction of Brutus Beefcake as a relevant player in wrestling, and a glorious destruction it is. I love the Horsemen laying stomps down on Beefcake in the background of Arn cutting his awesome promo. A full-blown war between the Horsemen and NWO is on, and it sounds like the most awesome thing ever even if it doesn't really turn out that way.

I wonder how much of it was a shoot on him. Flair said in his shoot interview he was in a meeting with Hulk and everyone else, and when they were talking about talent needed to be cut Hulk brought up Arn Anderson and said "what value can he bring to the table as opposed to a Brutus Beefcake". Ric probably did well to remember that incident here.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Holy crap. Arn is off the charts great here. He's so cerebral and confident and purposeful on the mic. Hogan turning heel has brought out the best in a lot of guy's promos that aren't normally that strong in content or delivery, like Sting and the Nasty Boys. Anderson is probably the best talker in wrestling and delivers an all-time great interview.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-08-05-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Booty Man
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

***** Angle, this fucking ruled so hard! 

The Horsemen/Booty Man angle WOW JUST WOW that’s one of the greatest angles of all time! I was marking out so hard. Becoming a fan in summer of 97, the Horsemen felt kinda midcard. The Hennig turn was around then. Luger & DDP felt so much bigger. Now watching that fuckkkk NWO Vs Horsemen HOLY SHIT what could have been if Flair doesn’t get injured! I liked it even more than the Backlot angle. Don’t get me wrong yes the Backlot angle was more innovative and groundbreaking and the Booty Man angle only works as a response to the Backlot angle. The Booty Man Angle was such a great follow Up. It was so perfect. Just my favorite type of wrestling. 

On paper you think Flair vs Booty Man, classic Nitro just throw a random babyface at Ric Flair. You think nothing of it. Then you get Horsemen bum rushing the ring and beating Booty Man to a pulp. Arn cuts one of the best Ice Cold Killer promos ever and Flair cuts one of his best maniac promos. It is Gang Warfare at its finest. It is actually in Flair's promo package at Hog Wild that this all makes sense. Flair thought this was another heel group ala Midnight Express that the Horsemen could co-exist with. That's why up until the Backlot angle he didnt really give a shit. Then they gunned down his best friend, Arn. Now shit is on! Fuck this is so damn good!