Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-23-WWF-Raw] Marc Mero vs Faarooq

Loss

• 1 month later...

Joined in progress. Mero wins the IC title in a tournament final. The Sunny/Sable cat fight gets tons of heat. Pretty decent as a moment, but this was a major development on RAW, and it looks much better in a vacuum than when you compare it to Nitro side by side. I liked Ron Simmons a lot. I wasn't a huge fan of Faarooq.

• 1 month later...

This is the only time I can remember a wrestler thanking his lord and savior Jesus Christ in a promo.

I'm pretty sure Mistico did it one time. Fray Tormeta too.

It's pretty sad that it seemed that Sunny/Sable was more over than the match. Why did Mero go back with Perfect after Perfect turned on him early in the year?

This is the only time I can remember a wrestler thanking his lord and savior Jesus Christ in a promo.

I'm pretty sure Mistico did it one time. Fray Tormeta too.

It's pretty sad that it seemed that Sunny/Sable was more over than the match. Why did Mero go back with Perfect after Perfect turned on him early in the year?

the turn is 3-4 weeks away

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've heard conflicting stories about Mero. Some sources listed his real name as "Marc Merowitz," but he was using the Mero name in his Golden Glove boxing days. In any event, he was a legitimate evangelical Christian at this point--part of his reasons for wanting out of WCW were because he wasn't comfortable with the Little Richard stuff and didn't want to be associated with a woman who wasn't his wife. Yeah, seems a bit over-the-top for me, too.

Anyway, we get the closing act and it's pretty good here. IIRC Mero winning this was a somewhat late audible as there were plans for Ahmed to come back and go after Faarooq for the title he never lost. But this was the right decision. I didn't pick up on it at the time but JR's petulant little "what about me?" as Mero is thanking everybody is a nice bit of foreshadowing for what's to come later tonight.

The match is no better than decent. Mero's shooting star press never looked that good, it always seemed he just banged his knees on the mat and barely touched his opponent. A few of his athletic spots looked like that, just athletic stuff that didn't translated well into actual pro-wrestling spots. Not a big fan of Simmons in single, although he had his moments. Pushing Mero was the right move though, and you get the feeling the were aiming at a new Savage/Liz glamour couple.

Sunny vs Sable catfight gets more heat than the entire match which kinda foreshadows what would happen in a few years.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very good match. Mero busts huge a switching springboard moonsault early. The guy is fun to watch. Faarooq has a great spot where he walks up to the top rope with Mero on his shoulders & falls back into Samoan drop. Hot finish with Sable & Sunny getting into it & Patterson (who was the special ref) getting in between them. Mero gets a hold of Sunny's loaded purse that she gave to Faarooq & nails him with it. He then hits a shooting star press to win the IC title. Really spirited match where Mero, especially, put in a lot of effort. Nice post-match interview with Mero who thanks God, Sable, & Mr. Perfect.

• 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-09-23-WWF-Raw] Marc Mero vs Faarooq