Pro Wrestling Only

Randy Savage Dead

rovert

So what's the deal with WM 5? Dave had said in the past that the show "didn't lose money" but in the Savage obit he says it was the highest gate for a wrestling show ever at that time (and wouldn't be broken till 2000)

edit: ok it was most PPV buys and not live gate but Dave has always said the show wasn't that big in the past. Did Vince have to pay Trump a ton to hold the show?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Can't read it because you have to be a subscriber to the magazine, but apparently in the new issue of TIME there is an article on Macho Man written by Vince McMahon. The first few paragraphs, which are free, appear to be pretty flattering. Vince calls him one of the building blocks of the World Wrestling Federation and a guy who knew how to be a star.

So what's the deal with WM 5? Dave had said in the past that the show "didn't lose money" but in the Savage obit he says it was the highest gate for a wrestling show ever at that time (and wouldn't be broken till 2000)

edit: ok it was most PPV buys and not live gate but Dave has always said the show wasn't that big in the past. Did Vince have to pay Trump a ton to hold the show?

Are you sure you're thinking of the right show? It did a huge gate and buyrate, and I've never heard of anything negative financially about it.

just wondering how the show ended up just breaking even when it did all those buys

I've never heard that it "just broke even". The story at the time and for a while after was that it was the most profitable ever due to a record live gate and a record buyrate. Vince wouldn't have run the joint two years in a row if the first one didn't make a shitload. In turn, the second one was said to have made even more.

John

• 1 month later...

Most of the story is your typical bottom-level indy scum shenanigans, outrageous and illegal and etcetera. But the one detail that grabbed me was the "ten bell salute". Just the idea of some guy literally speaking the word "ding" into a microphone ten times in a row... I've worked for several shitty fucking almost-backyard outlaw indy companies in my day, but even the people running those shows weren't that insane.

Guest Paul Kersey

In regards to Wrestlemanias 4&5, I thought the recent documentary claimed Trump approached Vince about doing WM4 in Atlantic City with the weekend of convention-like events around it, leading to both WM5 and to the modern WrestleMania weekend.

• 6 months later...

Not going to happen. With Edge, The Four Horsemen, Mike Tyson, Mil Mascaras, Yokozuna and Ron Simmons already confirmed, there probably will be only one more inductee this year and if it was Savage we would know about it already. Hearing Andrew Goldstein recall getting Vince's death stare when he suggested him for the HOF in 2006, not sure it's going to happen anytime soon.

Plus, WWE only likes to induct one dead person per year, and if they're inducting Yoko, that leaves no room for Savage.

1995: Antonino Rocca & The Grand Wizard (2)

2004: Big John Studd & Junkyard Dog (2)

2007: "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig & The Sheik (2)

2008: "High Chief" Peter Maivia, Eddie Graham & Gordon Solie (3!)

2009: The Von Erichs (5 of them)

2010: Gorgeous George & Stu Hart (2)

Still room for Savage this year, given that history, but I agree that he won't likely go in this year for some of the reasons already given.

Plus, WWE only likes to induct one dead person per year, and if they're inducting Yoko, that leaves no room for Savage.

1995: Antonino Rocca & The Grand Wizard (2)

2004: Big John Studd & Junkyard Dog (2)

2007: "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig & The Sheik (2)

2008: "High Chief" Peter Maivia, Eddie Graham & Gordon Solie (3!)

2009: The Von Erichs (5 of them)

2010: Gorgeous George & Stu Hart (2)

Still room for Savage this year, given that history, but I agree that he won't likely go in this year for some of the reasons already given.

The rule only applies to modern day premature deaths.