Pro Wrestling Only

PG-13 vs. The World

Dylan Waco

On the subject of Joshi I absolutely believe we should include Joshi and would encourage Rob and others to make the case for certain teams. I even said earlier that LCO going from my memory is a team I would consider strongly as being "better" than PG-13. The problem is I just have no interest in going back and watching a ton of Joshi. It is a style that DOES not age well for me. Someone like Ozaki who I used to love is almost tedious for me to watch. I still really like Aja, Kansai, Kudo and last I watched Jaguar but again it has been YEARS.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the big three would be:

Toyota/Yamada, like I said earlier in the thread, have a collection of matches surpassed only by the AJPW guys.

Crush Gals - Asuka's fairly "meh" for me but Chigusa is/was superb. The sheer heat makes Asuka, at least, come off as a strong babyface/underdog/sympathetic, but Chigusa is/was as good as anyone's been in that role.

Mita/Shimoda - they also have the advantage in a "tag team" debate of being better than the sum of their parts (Mita was pretty great; I'm not sure Shimoda ever really was inidivually).

All three have strong Top 10 arguments...

I'm not sure how their WWF stuff looks now, but I have enjoyed what 80s AJW I have seen of them.

It depends greatly on who their opponents were. They did a lot of damn fine stuff with the Glamour Girls, which holds up fine now. But few if any of the other women in the WWF at the time had any idea of how to work with that style, so Moolah and all her old drinking buddies were completely lost in there with the Angels.

I don't know if they tagged together quite enough to be considered a regular team, but I'd argue that the Aja/Bull tandem would deserve consideration as well. Kinda like Kobashi/Misawa in how they were mostly singles stars, but you'd think that the sheer quality of both women's work would result in something special. I've got a long-ass match they had against Hokuto and Kandori sitting here that I've been meaning to watch for a while now and just not gotten around to.

Sure, if you think too much about it. With wrestling you don't have to think too much. It's pretty obvious on the surface level. In fact, you probably have to think about it too much to see it as something serious. If you think too much about anything, it can become serious business.

I disagree. Thinking too much about anything doesn't make it serious, it makes it absurd most of the time.

Demonstrably false. Putting aside that you're doing it right now (albeit in a roundabout way...overthinking other forms of entertainment so that they sound as silly as wrestling is on a surface level...and idea that requires some degree of overthinking to conceive of), it's hardly an isolated incident in wrestling discussion, and it's hardly unique to fans of weird, fringe forms of entertainment like wrestling.

Do it for me, TV Tropes....

Serious Business is when a show revolves around an activity where a sizable portion of the in-series population takes it far more seriously than it should be. If something's popularity rivals that of Elvis Presley, The Beatles, or Michael Jackson, or if there are mainstream schools devoted to it instead of teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic, it's Serious Business.

Excerpts from the list of real life examples....

-A secretary in the Mars Corporation once tried to break up an argument between two members of the board with 'Gentlemen, gentlemen—remember it's only sweeties!'. Yeah—tell that to the chocoholics wandering around. To serious chocolate-lovers, the chocolate that Mars produces doesn't even count as chocolate. To some, chocolate is definitely serious business. If it has too much sugar, or if it is white chocolate (which doesn't actually contain chocolate liqueur), then it isn't really chocolate.

-The Beanie Babies craze of the late '90s. Long lines formed at gift shops nationwide whenever a new shipment came in. Entire magazines were devoted to the craze. Countless collectors were adults, since they were pretty much the only ones who could afford the more expensive ones (would you believe some of these toys got into four figures?). Even a minor manufacturing glitch or design change (e.g. felt antennae vs. yarn antennae, almost imperceptibly different coloration, swing tag in the wrong ear, etc.) could fetch a pretty penny. The craze got compounded by the Teenie Beanies available at McDonald's — people were literally buying Happy Meals and throwing them away just to get the Teenie Beanies.

-In the UK, tea is such Serious Business that the British Standards Institute brought out a 5,000 word document on how to prepare a standardized cuppa for tasting during quality assurance and blending (BS 6008), lest such important processes go wrong and the British Government once worried about how to maintain tea supplies in the wake of a nuclear conflict. In the 1800's, the UK got a significant portion of China hooked on opium in order to raise enough money to buy all the tea they wanted from the country. The two nations fought a couple of wars over the UK's attempts to keep China hooked (the Opium Wars) and Hong Kong became a British colony as a result. At the time it's estimated that the average British household spent 10% of its income on tea. To this day, it's very unwise to tell a British person complaining that there's no tea left, to re-use a tea-bag.

-Cocktails ARE Serious Business. The Martini in particular is a revered cocktail with a storied past, and those who favor it have been known to get a bit put out at chain restaurants touting their "Martini Menus." A Martini is a very specific drink: gin (or MAYBE vodka, if you're feeling generous), vermouth, and a green olive (GREEN, not BLACK; otherwise that's a Buckeye, not a Martini). Anything else is just a mixed drink in a Martini glass. And let's not even get into the whole "shaken versus stirred" thing...

-Stage Magic is pretty serious business for the practitioners, but both they and the (anti-)fans tend to take this way too far. Fans go beyond Flame Wars over who is the best magician and into vitriol mud-slinging (while the Fan Haters just try to ruin everyone's fun), while magicians themselves write out hit contracts on any fellow prestidigitator who breaks their vow of silence and reveals the secret to their illusions. Although you would think that they could just make them disappear...

-Orchids are Serious Business. These flowers are apparently so appealing that wealthy orchidophiles will travel around the world searching for new and rare species, since they Gotta Catch 'Em All. Back in the day, expeditions were so dangerous, people died for the orchids. Thankfully, people don't seem to do that anymore and have turned to selective breeding for fancier flowers. And everyone had an Orchid discovery tale!

-A Grammar Nazi is, in essence, someone who takes up grammar as Serious Business. Enthusiasm for your brand of grammar is more important than being correct in any way, mind you. Sometimes inverted by people who treat NOT being a Grammar Nazi as serious business; e.g. if you call them out for posting a giant paragraph without punctuation, they'll respond with another unpunctuated paragraph about how you shouldn't be a Grammar Nazi.

-The board game Go became so popular in Edo period Japan that the state appointed a Godokoro or Minster of Go. He then founded the Honinbo Go house which specialized in teaching and training Go players. Soon after three other state controlled houses sprung up. The houses would compete in official games that took place in the shogun's castle, sometimes even in the presence of the shogun himself. Because each house's and individual's prestige was on the line, these games were often intense. The most famous example is the Blood-vomiting game, which lasted four days and ended with the losing player vomiting blood (and dying months later). Serious Business indeed.

-Celebrity entertainers in general. The fact that this hasn't been mentioned yet should be proof enough. There are major news networks that are explicitly dedicated to covering celebrity news. Then there's all the other major American news networks who spend too much time covering this kind of news because it gets ratings. People clamber over each other to get pictures, endangering the lives of the celebrities and others. When they aren't being worshiped, their lives are being picked apart and destroyed and they in turn wield influence that far outstrips their insight, particularly in the arena of politics. They sing and dance and act, people. BIG HAIRY DEAL!!!

-The Serious Business of making sure every Christmas is "The Best Christmas Ever" is the reason it has become, as Lewis Black called it, "a beast." The rush to grab that hot new toy (people have been trampled to death in these sorts of rushes), having the most ostentatious display of decorations in your neighborhood, picking out the perfect tree...and that's not getting into the "War on Christmas," with religious groups throwing a tantrum over the phrases "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings," which people have been saying for decades without complaint.

-Holland. 1630s. Tulips were serious business. A single bulb of one of the rarest varieties cost as much as a nice house. Speculation in tulip futures drove the prices to insane levels. When the market finally collapsed in 1637, accounts of how stupid the whole thing had been became bestsellers.

-The majority of Japanese fine arts. It can be the smallest thing – making udon, making sushi, arranging flowers, making pottery – but people spend decades studying as apprentices before they are considered ready to become professionals in these arts. Take becoming a tokoyama: a person that styles sumo wrestlers' hair. Most tokoyama start out between 15-18 years of age at the very bottom of the hierarchy, the fifth rank. It usually takes twenty years before they are considered ready to move up to the fourth rank. The minimum age for retirement for a tokoyama is 65, and most don't reach the first or "supreme" rank until they're about that age, and only tokoyama of that level of seniority are considered capable of styling an oicho-mage, an incredibly complicated topknot in the shape of a gingko leaf that only the highest-ranked sumo wrestlers may wear.

And before you go thinking "these people are obviously dummies who didn't think this through enough, otherwise they'd realize the silliness of it all", I remind you that the whole point of the trope is that people of baseline intelligence and cultural knowhow are going to look at this behavior over these things and consider it silly, and that these people are putting a lot of thought into making it not silly. If you're preparing a 5,000 word document on how to properly make tea, I think it's pretty fair to say that you're taking it way too seriously, and you're thinking way too hard about it to get there.

Or for a more direct analogy, are we going to say that Chris Coey underthought pro wrestling? It just doesn't take.

You're not reading what I wrote. I said the Demos, who were supposed to be this killer team, were essentially as goofy as Brutus Beefcake to me. I also said that was probably perfect for the 80's WWF product marketed toward kids. That said, not everyone in WWF was goofy as Brutus or the Demos. Well, most of them were, but that's why the product wasn't that great.

I read what you said.

You said Demolition's gimmick was laughable to anyone over 12.

Then you said Demolition were roughly as laughable as Brutus Beefcake.

Ergo, you're saying that Brutus Beefcake is as laughable as Demolition.

I don't know that I necessarily disagree with the idea that they were equally laughable acts, but again, I consider wrestling as a whole laughable (and again, I consider that a positive trait for wrestling), and again, I don't consider "big tough guy brawler in face paint" or "overly excitable guy with tassles and a prop" to be particularly outlandish acts not only by the standards of 80's WWF, but by the standards of wrestling, period. If you don't think super-highly of Demolition, that's fine. If you don't like Leslie, hell, I'm right there with you. But to say they were exceptionally silly by the standards of wrestling as a whole is a claim I just don't buy into.

The idea the gimmick is laughable is stupid. You can see Randy Culley working the Detroit Demolition gimmick in Continental and it does not look out of place at all.

About Harlem Heat. Watched some Heat matches months back and what I found surprising was Stevie Ray was a pretty smart worker. Not really good but he knew when to sell and when to go on offense more than Booker did. Booker pretty much wanted to do his stuff the second he got in the ring. Check out the Windhams vs Heat match from Fall Brawl 99. Its a decent enough match but anytime Booker was in the ring before the finish it went down because he would bust out some sort of big spot when he the Windhams were suppose to be getting heat.

Bull/Aja only teamed together a handful of times. The matches are mainly really good (and some great), but if you have to have Aja on there the partner would be Bison. The feud with Bull (8/90; Hair vs. Hair; TV re-match) and stuff like Toyota/Moreno 4/91. I really like far more of their matches than I don't (and some I'd definitely call great), but Zenjo at the time is more interesting in watching them develop than it is loaded with great matches.

Putting aside that you're doing it right now (albeit in a roundabout way...overthinking other forms of entertainment so that they sound as silly as wrestling is on a surface level...and idea that requires some degree of overthinking to conceive of),

Wrong, because I don't think wrestling is sillier on a surface level than soccer or trading stocks to get actual money. I don't ask you to agree on this, but this is what I think. I don't consider pro-wrestling *laughable* on a surface level.

And before you go thinking "these people are obviously dummies who didn't think this through enough, otherwise they'd realize the silliness of it all", I remind you that the whole point of the trope is that people of baseline intelligence and cultural knowhow are going to look at this behavior over these things and consider it silly, and that these people are putting a lot of thought into making it not silly. If you're preparing a 5,000 word document on how to properly make tea, I think it's pretty fair to say that you're taking it way too seriously, and you're thinking way too hard about it to get there.

Or for a more direct analogy, are we going to say that Chris Coey underthought pro wrestling? It just doesn't take.

You lost me here. I don't even see what you mean.

I read what you said.

You said Demolition's gimmick was laughable to anyone over 12.

Then you said Demolition were roughly as laughable as Brutus Beefcake.

Ergo, you're saying that Brutus Beefcake is as laughable as Demolition.

I said Demolition who are supposed to be a killer tag team appear to me as goofy as Brutus Beefcake, who's a goofy guy with tassles who does a bad strut and cut his opponents hair.

I don't know that I necessarily disagree with the idea that they were equally laughable acts, but again, I consider wrestling as a whole laughable

Well, that's where we disagree already so it makes it hard to understand each other's viewpoint with that basis.

and again, I don't consider "big tough guy brawler in face paint" or "overly excitable guy with tassles and a prop" to be particularly outlandish acts not only by the standards of 80's WWF, but by the standards of wrestling, period.

What you don't get is that Demos *don't* appear to me as "big tough brawlers". That's the whole point. They look as goofy as Brutus Beefcake to me, as goofy as the "overly excitable guy with tassles and a prop". Since Demos are supposed to be those big tough guys who destroy opponents, something just doesn't click to me because of their goofiness and weak offense. It's simple.

If you don't think super-highly of Demolition, that's fine. If you don't like Leslie, hell, I'm right there with you. But to say they were exceptionally silly by the standards of wrestling as a whole is a claim I just don't buy into.

Again, I never said they were exceptionally silly, I said they were more goofy than scary, and it just didn't fit what they are supposed to project as a killer tag team. Road Warriors and Powers of Pain were big tough (with goofy paint) guys who killed opponents. Demos were goofy chubby guys with weak looking offense.

EL-P's entire argument basically seems to come down to "I thought Demolition's look was too goofy to be taken seriously as legitimate threats", which I kinda agree with. Yes, the kiddie-friendly cartoonish style of the day led to lots of top guys being dressed in a clownish fashion, but that doesn't mean we should all be forced to like it.

And the idea is ridiculous. I mean if you thought the same of the Roadies and Powers Of Pain too I would think you're a joyless ass. But isolating Demolition is fucking asinine.

Why? Firstly, that's a lot of name-calling for no good reason. Secondly, you're basically saying that we're not allowed to have our own personal tastes and preferences here. Like I said before, I just personally found that Demolition didn't look nearly as intimidating as those other guys you mentioned. Part of it was their body shape, part of it was the wacky bondage-style leather gear, part of it was the KISS ripoff makeup. But just because those guys are all dressed kinda-sorta similarly doesn't mean that they're identical clones. You're acting like they were all exactly the same, when that's not the case.

EL-P's entire argument basically seems to come down to "I thought Demolition's look was too goofy to be taken seriously as legitimate threats", which I kinda agree with.

Look *and* work on offense. I thought Demos offense looked weak, that's plain and simple. Especially compared to the great spots of the RW, the PoP or later the Steiners or to a lesser extent Doom. Hell, Jim Neidhart looked way more legit scary and dangerous than the Demos.

"I liked Demolition better when they were called the Road Warriors anyway."

I prefer the Roadies as an overall team. They were huge draws, moved merchandise, and had an aura about them like Rick James. Demo were better workers but didn't have the edge the Warriors did.

And the idea is ridiculous. I mean if you thought the same of the Roadies and Powers Of Pain too I would think you're a joyless ass. But isolating Demolition is fucking asinine.

Why? Firstly, that's a lot of name-calling for no good reason. Secondly, you're basically saying that we're not allowed to have our own personal tastes and preferences here. Like I said before, I just personally found that Demolition didn't look nearly as intimidating as those other guys you mentioned. Part of it was their body shape, part of it was the wacky bondage-style leather gear, part of it was the KISS ripoff makeup. But just because those guys are all dressed kinda-sorta similarly doesn't mean that they're identical clones. You're acting like they were all exactly the same, when that's not the case.

No they are not exactly the same. But the idea "Oh these guys in black with face paint look ridiculous, not like these guys in black and face paint." is asinine. Its like thinking spheres are stupid not like awesome circles.

Hell, Jim Neidhart looked way more legit scary and dangerous than the Demos.

"Oh Bane's not so tough. Superman could beat him up."

No they are not exactly the same. But the idea "Oh these guys in black with face paint look ridiculous, not like these guys in black and face paint." is asinine. Its like thinking spheres are stupid not like awesome circles.

No, it's not like that because the black and face pain only tell half the story.

It's more like "Oh these guys in black and face paint with average and slightly flabby looking upper bodies who do fake looking double-team spots and double axehandle look ridiculous, not like these guys in black and face paint with the big fuck off ripped upper bodies and violent offence that looks like it is legit going to decapitate jobbers.

Posted Image

"We are bad ass and we could kill you"

Posted Image

"We are, which ever way you look at it, a middle-aged man and a slightly younger man looking essentially like some sort of pathetic BDSM clown act."

Putting aside that you're doing it right now (albeit in a roundabout way...overthinking other forms of entertainment so that they sound as silly as wrestling is on a surface level...and idea that requires some degree of overthinking to conceive of),

Wrong, because I don't think wrestling is sillier on a surface level than soccer or trading stocks to get actual money. I don't ask you to agree on this, but this is what I think. I don't consider pro-wrestling *laughable* on a surface level.

Alright, let's agree to disagree on that one.

You lost me here. I don't even see what you mean.

I'm saying that there are lots of examples of people overthinking unremarkable and/or silly things in order to establish them as serious. I then listed a bunch of them, including Chris Coey, someone who was notorious as an overthinker, and took wrestling very, very seriously because of it, not in spite of it.

Again, I never said they were exceptionally silly,

You said their gimmick was laughable to anyone over the age of 12.

I said they were more goofy than scary, and it just didn't fit what they are supposed to project as a killer tag team. Road Warriors and Powers of Pain were big tough (with goofy paint) guys who killed opponents. Demos were goofy chubby guys with weak looking offense.

I'll allow goofy, though I still don't see how they're any goofier than is to be expected in wrestling. I'll even allow weak looking offense, though the teams you're comparing them to weren't exactly offensive dynamos either (Doomsday Device aside), and in fact were probably the Demos inferiors in that regard.

I will refer to what I said to Jerry earlier re: their physiques.

For a guy who's exclusively into old school stuff, that's kind of a strange opinion. They definitely weren't bodybuilders, but that body type was pretty common back then.

If anything, you could argue that 80's WWF was one of the worse places they could be in terms of getting over, since WWF from the rise of Hogan forward was always a much more physique-centric promotion. The fact that they got as far as they did there is actually kinda impressive when I stop and think about it. In any of the territories of the time, no one would have batted an eyelash at their physique. Everywhere else, guys built like the Roadies or the PoP were the exceptions, not the rule. They're no doughier than Murdoch, and no one had a problem with Dickie Bird being booked as a tough guy.

Commonplace wrestling gimmick + standard "tough guy" wrestler physique for the era + superior workers to the act they were knocking off = too laughable for wrestling outside of 80's WWF?

Not buying it.

I liked the Demos as a kid and still enjoy their matches now but I kind of agree that their physiques didn't match their gimmick. I'm not suggesting they should have roided out or anything, but look at similar gimmicks then look at Eadie and Darsow. Put them in a line with guys who had essentially the same gimmick at the time: LOD, POP, Warrior, Sting. Now play the sesame street "one of these things is not like the other" game.

Again, I'm a Demos fan and still think a proper LOD-Demos feud with a big PPV payoff is one of the great lost opportunities of early 90's WWF.

Hell, Jim Neidhart looked way more legit scary and dangerous than the Demos.

"Oh Bane's not so tough. Superman could beat him up."

1. The Dr. is nothing short of a mind tyrant. He simply does not allow room for other thoughts or differing opinions. Doc, if you think I am being insultive here, well, sorry man. But yeah, do a thorough search of your posts both here and elsewhere. You come across as a control freak that needs everyone to think the same as you because if they don't you will chastise them for it. Basically, you're a very confrontational person. I have thought on more than one occasion when I see your username as the last post, "I wonder who he will say is completely wrong now." It is a gimmick that needs to end.

2. So 500lb women in short-shorts look just as hot as pornstars in short-shorts? Are you blind to appearances, or what? At any rate, it is a strawman argument that you made look worse and yourself incapable of noticing the logical inconsistency of, "One can look better than the other." Pretty basic stuff, really.

3. Superman would pop Bane like a pimple. Period. Bane might have broken the Bat but Superman could literally eat Bane. Like cannibalism eat.

Actually Demolition looks like they are going to do more than just beat you up.

Such as?

You come across as a control freak that needs everyone to think the same as you because if they don't you will chastise them for it.

"I know I made bad movies but its not like I ever tied someone up and forced them to watch em, and I could because I'm a big guy and I'm good with knots."

3. Superman would pop Bane like a pimple. Period. Bane might have broken the Bat but Superman could literally eat Bane. Like cannibalism eat.

Yes exactly. Kind of the point. Or "This game sucks its not even as good as Megaman 2."

Such as?

Really you can't look at their outfit and guess.

Thanks

I'll even allow weak looking offense, though the teams you're comparing them to weren't exactly offensive dynamos either (Doomsday Device aside), and in fact were probably the Demos inferiors in that regard.

Not true. The Road Warriors were known for being stiff and careless with their opponents. Might have sucked for the guys in the ring but did not look “weak” on TV... the big body presses, Animal's powerslam, shoulder tackle. All looked brutal for the time.

They're no doughier than Murdoch, and no one had a problem with Dickie Bird being booked as a tough guy.

Not true. As a kid in the 80s, I thought Dickie looked woefully out of place. I couldn’t understand why this pot-bellied, chicken legged, drunk was going toe to toe with the monsters and was given so much air time. It wasn’t until I was an adult and rediscovered wrestling that Murdoch becomes a god. No kid I know had Dickie Murdoch posters on their wall and I don’t remember anyone my age begging for more Murdoch on the TV either. In fact, Murdoch is a strong case for re-evaluating guys who underwhelmed you as a kid. Maybe someone here around the age of 35 was a big Murdoch fan and I was just ignoarant. The whole purpose of this thread is to re-evaluate wreslers because there is more footage to examine. Nothing wrong with that even if it does fuck with your childhood memories.

I said it earlier but I will repeat it… for old NWA guys like myself, when Demolition appeared, they instantly came off as a second rate Road Warriors rip-off. The fact that they overcame that to become a pretty memorable team is in their favor. I tried watching some Demolition matches from the DVDVR Demo thread and I tapped out after 3 matches. They just don’t interest me as a unit.

Yeah, the quote goes something like, "The Road Warriors looked like they'd kill you and Demolition looked like they'd beat you up and rape you." I always loved the Road Warriors and pretty much thought Demolition was Vince making his own Road Warriors. I also thought they looked lame once they took off the masks. The RW's paint looked cool and Demo's paint looked goofy to me. I love Bill Eadie and Darsow, and they were a great team. But to me they were just "Vince's Road Warriors". And I hated the straps and big black studded underwear. I also thought that Vince first showed interest in The Rockers so he could have a Rock N' Roll Express of his own that looked more like what he wanted guys to look like. I actually remember thinking that Darsow looked like a killer in spite of the outfit, as I was like, "Well, Krusher Khrushchev was bad ass." But as much as I liked the Masked Superstar, Eadie looked like an old man with his slicked back hair and look in those tights.

I also know this argument will never go anywhere as I've had it before. :lol: If you liked Demolition more, fine. It's all what you liked more as a kid, anyway.