Pro Wrestling Only

HHH taking over from Vince on RAW

Hollinger.

Simmons really liked the Punk angle, and one got the sense that it was something that sucked him back in to watching at least the Punk angle. It comes across that Bill is in the camp that found the angle didn't go in / sustain the direction that he initially thought was cool, so he's fucking pissed off. I don't think the only one. :)

John

Nope, it really seems the consensus. Not just among wrestling fans, real people.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cena vs Undertaker? I would have said Cena/Rey but I doubt Rey is coming back before Mania.

Was the match between Cena and Rey from a few months back the first between the two, at least since they both became huge stars? If so, it was a little short-sighted to just casually throw a first-time match between arguably the two biggest babyfaces of the last several years on TV with no build. But as we all know, the old rules of promoting "rasslin" no longer apply.

I believe it was, and it was absolutely retarded to give it away on RAW with less than 2 hrs build the way they did. Maybe they just figured Rey was going to be out of action for a long time and they should do the match while they could? At least could have saved it for the next week's show and popped a rating....

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates or thoughts on how this is going?

Martin:

WWE Raw Report by Todd Martin

On the downside, this HHH angle is just terrible. Who cares if HHH retains his COO job or not? It’s not like things are any different with him in charge. It’s not like he’s had the role for any real period of time. It’s not like he seems to care much about having the job. It’s not like he’s going to leave the show if they remove him from the job. And yet we have to listen to the announcers go on and on and on about it all two hours.

What’s even more annoying is it all feels so fake and contrived. HHH has only been in his role a few months and things are the same as they always are. They were doing tons of angles at a breakneck pace before HHH was in charge. A few angles with Miz and Truth don’t feel like anything out of the ordinary. Yet now the story is things are out of control and so everyone talks about that even though it doesn’t remotely feel that way. It’s just the directive, like everyone must say “WWE Universe” over and over again even though nobody in the real world would be caught dead using that asinine expression.

It’s fine if the heels say that things are out of control. They are after all heels, out to get rid of HHH the babyface. But when all the face wrestlers, announcers and cameramen seem to agree, it just feels ridiculous. It’s not that it inspires anger at the faces for doing that, although they certainly don’t come off well. It’s simply unbelievable that those characters are acting that way.

We’ve seen cars blowing up, vehicular attacks, gang beatdowns, big injury angles to top stars and a cavalcade of hotshot angles and now the cameramen are walking off the job because they’re terrified of a Miz run-in? The wrestlers are unanimous in turning on HHH as an authority figure because of a Miz run-in? It’s just bad storytelling. They haven’t made the stakes feel important or the actions feel believable, and by acting like it’s this huge deal it will be even harder next month when they try to hotshot another big angle.

Thoughts?

John

I think Todd Martin completely missed the point. It's not about "A Miz run-in." First of all, it was Miz & R-Truth both, with weapons, doing an attack, from the crowd, after a Hell in a Cell match.

Secondly, and most importantly, it's not about that attack. It's about the motifs BEHIND that attack. The entire "conspiracy" angle. Which I thought Jerry Lawler did a pretty good job explaining, in the ring, on the microphone last night...but I guess it still went over the head of a lot of people.

Todd had the Lawler stuff:

Jerry Lawler then came in the ring. He said he agreed with some things said and disagreed with others. Lawler said he thinks the show is spiraling out of control. Lawler said someone behind the scenes is trying to sabotage HHH’s job and won’t stop until HHH is gone. Thus, Lawler concluded it is ultimately HHH’s fault that things are so dangerous for the performers.

Sounds like he just doesn't think the angle works. Really, has anything changed under Trip that wasn't there when Vince or all the various GM's have been in charge? There is a logic hole there.

John

I agree that there is a logic hole to a degree, but it is worth recalling that the storyline reason for Trips ascension was because of how out of control things had gotten under Vince. He was installed to clean up Vince's mess. In kayfabe World it is clear the mess has gotten worse and deeper since Vince left. So it stands to reason that the guy installed to solve problems, making things worse, would be called to the carpet. Or something

Was the mess when Vince got replaced any worse than the mess Vince was "causing" when feuding with one of the most popular performers in company history: Stone Cold? Or any number of other faces Vince feuded with? :)

And for logic, if the Board cared about how Vince was treating Punk, how exactly did they think things would change by installing the Doufus Son In Law in his place?

"It's WWE Creative, Jake."

Probably best not to think too hard about it. The "WWE Universe" has holes the size of wormholes in scifi universes.

John

CM Punk speaks on last night's angle

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Fans and coworkers alike. Walking out is a pussy move. There's a huge difference.....in what I did. I want change, and I can't change shit from my couch. I'm in the fox hole. I'm getting it done. I stayed to fight......and I'm fighting for change. You can protest, violently or peacefully without actually showing up. Walking out isn't a solution...at least not one that I've ever seen work. Hold 'em up. Make them change. Don't just walk out, or lay down. Fight. This goes for fans.....as well. Bored? Don't like @johncena ? Want more @ZackRyder ? Show up and be heard. Don't be a pussy and just tweet about it. I want change, and I'll stand and fight for it even if I'm alone. Popular or unpopular, I could care less. Take your voting and shove it. Actions speaks louder than words. Except mine. My words are pretty awesome. No think about all that, and hopefully you'll get it. Too many tweets from me. Misspellings abound. You CAN'T protest without showing up. I am not Gandhi. I will kick your face. Don't like HHH as COO? Punch him in the face. I did. It's wrestling, not the NBA. Next high kick to Johnny "Funkhauser" Ace won't be an accident.

Posted Image

"Walking out is a pussy move. There's a huge difference.....

in what I did. I want change, and I can't change shit from

my couch. I'm in the fox hole. I'm getting it done. I stayed

to fight......and I'm fighting for change."

You have to love storyline consistancy.

I feel story for Punk because from what everyone says, he's not this fucking stupid. But Vince, The Idiot Daughter and The Doufus Son In Law cut a nice check each pay period, so he'll happily mouth their bullshit.

John

Regal weighs in.

Some people have asked about the walkout on Raw.My personal reasons for my action was that I think HHH has enough on his plate being the COO.I know exactly what it takes to be in charge of Raw and it comes at a dear price(or it did with me).HHH is in charge of the WWE.He needs to concentrate on the company as a whole and put a suitable candidate in charge of the Raw brand.

This is the angle they should have run after Punk left with the belt. Running it now...well, it's still a cool idea in theory but....

1. It needed more time to build up.

2. It's too soon after they inevitably blew their last cool idea for an angle. You need time for us to forget that they always blow these things.

3. It's an angle where - as it stands - the central figure is Triple H. It's really, really hard to get me psyched up about that. Especially when you remember #2.

On the other hand, the Muppets are the kings of working in dangerous environments. If the payoff to all of this is that Trips has to step down and Kermit takes over as CEO because he has a better track record of keeping a show running where the performers are all completely out of control, I could support that.