Pro Wrestling Only

HHH taking over from Vince on RAW

Hollinger.

In fairness to the match, Punk kicked out of at least one Pedigree and it took like four finishers (at least) to beat him. From the sounds of it (I didn't see the show), it wasn't a burial, although I'm still not exactly overly excited about the angle. On a more hilarious note, supposedly Nash might've injured himself doing the run-in.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it wasn't a burial at all. Punk looked stronger than Hunter during the match, and took three pedigrees and a jacknife before he went down. It was overbooked like crazy, but no one came away looking much different than before the match.

(Also, the match had been really fucking good before all the interference)

It was far from a burial. In fact, it was as even and giving a match as you could hope for. How often in recent years has anyone kicked out of the Pedigree without any shenanigans (a long delay or something like that) in something other than a Wrestlemania main event?

And I agree that it was a hell of a match before the clusterfuckery.

It was overbooked like crazy, but no one came away looking much different than before the match.

Isn't that a slight problem? Working even with Hunter doesn't hurt Punk, but nonetheless it keeps him at the same level slightly below the more established Hunter, Cena and Orton. Which shouldn't be surprising as this storyline has been more about putting over Hunter first and Punk second. I'm not sure staying the course with a pat hand is what's needed at a time when house show attendance and ratings are both flagging.

It wasn't a burial at all. Punk took 3 Pedigree's and a Jackknife Powerbomb. It was just a clusterfuck. Miz & Truth did their run-in, beat-up both Punk & HHH. Then put Punk on top of HHH for the pinfall...HHH kicked out. Then later, Punk went for a pin, and Truth pulled him off (which didn't make any sense to what they were doing earlier). Johnny Ace came down and wouldn't let the new ref (old ref was bumped by Miz/Truth) get in the ring to make the pinfall following a Pedigree. Which made it look like he wanted Hunter to lose (which would make sense, from a power play point of view). Then when Punk hit the Go-To-Sleep, he let the new ref go in to make the pinfall count (which is the one Truth broke up). Then Johnny Ace sent a text, which caused Nash to do a run-in. Then Nash beat-up BOTH Punk and Nash (which AGAIN didn't make any fuckin' sense whatsoever, since I thought Ace wanted HHH to lose).

It was just a bigger fuck-up than the ending of NXT season 2.

Yeah, the Pedigree that put Punk down was the third of the match. It wasn't a burial, just an overbooked mess. Just the latest example of PPVs being used to build anticipation for Raw rather than the other way around.

Which is silly because ratings are down anyway and they're always, no matter what, going to get killed by Monday Night Football. If anything this should be the time when they're trying to increase Pay-Per-View buys, not television ratings. It's O.K. though because now they'll have the guy that played Wolverine in some terrible skits shilling his new terrible Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots movie.

At least the Mark Henry build-up was executed well.

Main event started out as a really good brawl and ended up a total clusterfuck. Miz and Truth came out and attacked both guys, then Johnny Ace came out and sent a text message, then Nash came out and attacked both guys. He jackknifed Punk and tried to do the same to HHH, but HHH hit him with a sledgehammer. Then he Pedigreed Punk for the pin.

Posted Image

"You're the real star

of the promotion, Trip.

You and me, brother."

John

It wasn't like Trips playing Superman and taking on Nash w/ a sledgehammer. Nash was kicking the shit out of him, then took his time clearing off the announce table, turned around and he got cracked in the head. It was actually a neat visual, because they kept Trips out of frame until the shot. And then Nash for some reason bumped into a Christ pose, arms out and ankles crossed.

Punk beating Cena two months in a row, then losing to Del Rio and Cena, then Punk losing to HHH and Cena beating Del Rio. Yikes. They have no clue of how they want to position people or where they want to go long-term. None. There needs to be room for reactive thinking in booking plans without a doubt, but WWE would improve so much if someone would put together something that says where they want to be in 3, 6 and 12 months and book backwards from each of those points. Vince used to always do that. I do think politics played a part in all of this getting so bad, but I think the bigger issue is incompetence and that the system itself is broken. This is the consequence of not thinking past the next Raw. Had they played their cards right, Punk could just be returning right about now and they'd have something really hot to carry them until Rock comes in to start building the Cena match.

This. A thousand times this.

Obviously, you need to be able to do some adjustments as you go along from show to show because of unanticipated events (i.e, injuries) but you need to have at least some sense of where you want to be in the long term. Booking show to show, as appears to be the case, doesn't work that well. You might stumble upon something really good, but then you aren't going to understand how to properly follow up on it.

Then again, our society has a lot of "instant gratification" and "live for the moment" and "short-term thinking" these days, so I suppose what WWE is doing is par for the course in today's environment.

It wasn't like Trips playing Superman and taking on Nash w/ a sledgehammer. Nash was kicking the shit out of him, then took his time clearing off the announce table, turned around and he got cracked in the head. It was actually a neat visual, because they kept Trips out of frame until the shot. And then Nash for some reason bumped into a Christ pose, arms out and ankles crossed.

As someone who normally hates the sledgehammer usage because it's so ridiculous, I agree that was a great spot.

The camerawork and camera switching was top-notch for the whole match and really added to the presentation.

Simmons really liked the Punk angle, and one got the sense that it was something that sucked him back in to watching at least the Punk angle. It comes across that Bill is in the camp that found the angle didn't go in / sustain the direction that he initially thought was cool, so he's fucking pissed off. I don't think the only one. :)

John

Good for Bill Simmons for saying what a shitload of people are thinking

My interest in WWE is fucking dead at this point aside from the "We Appreciate You Mark Henry" monster push. I don't even like or care about CM Punk right now, and before this whole charade began I would have claimed him as my 2nd favorite active wrestler after Mysterio

If it wasn't for Rock coming back around and the annual gear up for Rumble-->Mania what would they have going that could possibly qualify as a draw?

Cena vs Undertaker? I would have said Cena/Rey but I doubt Rey is coming back before Mania.

Was the match between Cena and Rey from a few months back the first between the two, at least since they both became huge stars? If so, it was a little short-sighted to just casually throw a first-time match between arguably the two biggest babyfaces of the last several years on TV with no build. But as we all know, the old rules of promoting "rasslin" no longer apply.

Speaking of which, and I know I'm not the first to bring this up, but in the last few years I've envisioned Cena vs Undertaker as a modern version of Hogan vs Andre from Mania 3 (sans the legendary status, but hopefully better worked), with the twist being that the younger guy turns heel and does the job. Maybe for Mania 29 and Takers final match.