Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ric Flair explains failure to pay spousal support

The reason I didn't pay my ex-wife the 32 grand is because my son died and I was in the hospital for a month. I was in the hospital for a month with a blood clot. I didn’t go to work for three months.

It’s worth noting that Flair owes Beems 8 months of alimony, dating back to late last year. Thus, it’s disingenuous to suggest that his inability/refusal to pay was entirely due to his health problems and bereavement this spring.

In the hospital for a month?

He refused treatment on it in January in Japan. Then when his WWE appearance was cancelled, he went out of his way to claim he wasn't hospitalized:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2013/3/27...clot-in-his-leg

Now, Flair's management team has released a statement with the definitive word on the matter.

"Ric is doing well, he feels great, and is home. WWE's medical staff performed a physical on Ric yesterday, like they do all of their athletes, and recommended that he have a doctor take a closer look at his swollen leg. Upon arriving back in Charlotte today he went to see his doctors and it was determined that there is a blood clot. He was not admitted to the hospital, rather released with medication, which the doctors are confident will work quickly causing Ric to completely heal soon. Ric appreciates everyone's concern and is looking forward to seeing fans at his next scheduled appearance in Hagerstown, MD on Friday and performing for WWE very soon."

So when did he go into the hospital?

Granted, Reid died a couple of days after the hospital/not hospital incident, so did he go into the hospital after that for a month?

I wonder if all of Ric's bills weren't paid for the 8 months that he wasn't paying support. :)

Depends on a case by case basis.

With the last wife... I'm a bit dubious of it in a long term sense. Short term while she re-started here career, I could get.

In the case of Beth? Would fully support spousal support. She basically hung up her career and life to be Ric's wife, run the household, and be probably 90% of the parent to the kids since Ric was on the road so much. That was a long marriage, so... really think it's warranted there.

That would be the case for a lot of women in Beth's situation. It's a little less the case these days when both people work, and in a growing number of marriages the wife is every bit the bread winner than the husband is. In which case splitting the assets and child support (which may include some household related costs) are perfectly fine.

Also have no sympathy for Ric. He's been married and taken to the cleaners enough that something like a pre-nup covering spousal support is an obvious thing to enter into. But he's an idiot.

But it really is a case by case basis.

I agree with goodhelmet. Spousal support seems like an antiquated notion in 2013. Ric's married to Jackie for less than 3 years at an advanced age no kids involved, and he owes her 4 grand a month?

As John said, with Beth it's a little more complicated as she raised his children. I do agree with child support, even though Ric's kids are grown and Beth clearly has the means to re-train herself for the workforce is she chose to.

Even if Ric should have known to get a pre-nup with Jackie, a bad law is a bad law.

I was about to comment on how utterly lacking in self-control Flair is (spending money like it's 1986, parade of wives/girlfriends, massive debt), but then I saw Andy Dick's Wikipedia page and realized that Flair is actually a model of restraint compared to some people.

I was about to comment on how utterly lacking in self-control Flair is (spending money like it's 1986, parade of wives/girlfriends, massive debt), but then I saw Andy Dick's Wikipedia page and realized that Flair is actually a model of restraint compared to some people.

... And Wikipedia tends to be pretty tame at listing everything on those fronts.

Still, that made for some reading.

As John said, with Beth it's a little more complicated as she raised his children. I do agree with child support, even though Ric's kids are grown and Beth clearly has the means to re-train herself for the workforce is she chose to.

"Re-training" at that age is pretty funny if you've spent 20 years setting aside whatever career you had to be the wife-mother to/for someone like Ric.

Now I'm not saying that Beth should get $250K a year from Ric to mirror getting "half" from someone whose made $500K a year for ages. But Ric wanted to have someone mother his children, raise them, and run his household... I don't think Ric finding some younger pussy (or boatloads of younger pussy) means it's trade in time for her and getting no support.

• 2 weeks later...

WWF tested the bout several times, taking the match of the century to Los Angeles and New York among a handful of markets. But those were all dark matches, bouts not part of WWF's television storylines. On TV, it was a match that was never to be, at least in the WWF. According to the Wrestling Observer, it was originally set to main event WrestleMania. But it never happened at all, at least officially.

On WWF TV, it was a match that was taking place all over the country. Both Hogan and Flair talked about it, not just with local promos, but also in features on the shows. There was that "I acknowledge you" promo by Hogan, and a number of ones by Flair.

They just never had a match on TV or PPV, discounting the MSG pair that aired on the MSG Network.

On the WON item, it's kind of tricky rather than clear cut. Dave was very clear when Sid jumped that it was due to a promise that Hogan-Sid would be the main event of Mania in 1992. When they ran the angle at the Rumble, Dave's comment was that the plan always had been Hogan-Sid. There maybe be some comments after Flair jump that make that less black-and-white, but I also don't think that the WON ever got to consistently saying between Sep 1991 and Jan 1992 that Hogan-Flair was a lock to main event Mania.

Flair was supposed to go over in the next match between the two at a Clash of the Champions in order to set up a rubber match at Halloween Havoc. But Hogan, according to Flair's book, tells him "it doesn't feel right" and he refused to lose cleanly. It was too early in his run to do a job, even to a legend like Flair. Instead he was counted out after Arn Anderson did his best Tonya Harding impression. Even with outside interference, Flair couldn't get a legitimate win over his perpetual rival.

This was far worse. Arn's Tonya Harding impression was early in the Clash. Hogan didn't just to a Stretcher Job, he did a Hospital Job. Not only did he come back to the arena, he then kicked the shit out of Ric for 15 minutes before Sheri caused the DQ. Just an all-time classic Fuck You by Hulk. :)

WWF tested the bout several times, taking the match of the century to Los Angeles and New York among a handful of markets. But those were all dark matches, bouts not part of WWF's television storylines. On TV, it was a match that was never to be, at least in the WWF. According to the Wrestling Observer, it was originally set to main event WrestleMania. But it never happened at all, at least officially.

On WWF TV, it was a match that was taking place all over the country. Both Hogan and Flair talked about it, not just with local promos, but also in features on the shows. There was that "I acknowledge you" promo by Hogan, and a number of ones by Flair.

They just never had a match on TV or PPV, discounting the MSG pair that aired on the MSG Network.

I will adjust for this. Yo Bix—this is why I send these things to you first. ;)

Only thing I could think to add to the article would be more about WCW's long efforts to replace Ric on top:

* Dusty wanting to put Rick Steiner over him at Starcade '88

Ric pulled a power play with the Turner Execs and won. No job, and actually pinned Lex on the card despite being the heel.

* Herd wanting Ric to put over Lex for the title March 23, 1990

Ric refused and invoked a clause in his contract that wasn't to dissimilar from the famous "creative control" clause in Bret's WWF contract. Ric didn't do the job that night.

* Herd wanting Ric to job to Lex than Barry in July 1991

The plan was for Ric to put over Lex at the Bash. Ric was okay with it in general, but also knew that his long term security was at risk without the title. He wanted a contract extension. I'd have to go back and look, but I think he had another year left on his contract. Herd had offered an extension, but it was at a cut that Ric didn't like. Anyway, he was clearly holding up WCW: give me a new contract extension at an amount I want, or I'll invoked my contract clause and refuse to job it to Lex at the Bash.

So Herd then had Flair booked against Barry on the final TV taping leading into the Bash, with the instructions that Flair drop the title to Barry. The thought that Ric wouldn't refuse to drop it to his friend Barry, who in turn would drop it to Lex at the Bash. Ric refused, no showed, and was "fired".

Which is what led him to the WWF for the first time.

Anyway, it's a generally glossed over part of Ric's career. In the Our Hero Ric Hierography, these are three shining examples of Ric standing up against Evil Wrestling Bookers/Promoters (Dusty was generally thought of by hardcores as an egotistical selfish bookers in those days, and Herd was a hated promoter among hardcores almost from the start). In reality... Ric pulled power plays, refused to job the title when asked/booked three times, and tried to hold the company up for a big extension.

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. It is after all what Hogan did regularly in WCW. :)

I've mentioned before that I found Luger's shoot terribly disappointing as he basically answers all the political questions with either "I never got involved in that stuff" or "I don't use the internet, what are the saying about me now". But it also does give you some insight there into why this sort of thing seemed to happen to him. He doesn't seem to have any animosity over this sort of thing (and his WWF run went no better), so he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but you got the sense his lack of interest in wresting politics is what allowed this sort of thing to happen.

Not that I really hold it against Ric or Hogan or Bret, or for that matter Choshu or Inoki or Triple H or whoever. After all what's the point of gathering power if you're not prepared to use it, from their perspective I suppose. It's just what people do. I just consider it expected from guys in that position.

Only thing I could think to add to the article would be more about WCW's long efforts to replace Ric on top:

I actually had to cut some things out. Apparently it was too long. They actually wanted to cut it further, practically in half and I had a mini-fit.

So, all that became:

Jim Herd, WCW's controversial new leader and former Pizza Hut executive, wanted many things from Flair—first and foremost, to take a pay cut and a spot much lower on the card.

I think it's funny that moves like this make Hogan and Nash EVIL but no one mentions it when its Flair or Steamboat....

I will adjust for this. Yo Bix—this is why I send these things to you first. ;)

I thought it was a fair simplification in the sense that Hogan was working in less and less markets back then. With no SNME it wasn't blown off to most people.

The Rick Steiner thing was the best for business.

Luger in 1990 was Flair seeing that it made no sense to lose to Luger then because Sting was coming back and the storyline was always for Sting to beat him.

1991 was the one where you could argue Ric was in the wrong as if he wasn't going to come back then drop the belt to Barry at the least.

* Dusty wanting to put Rick Steiner over him at Starcade '88

Ric pulled a power play with the Turner Execs and won. No job, and actually pinned Lex on the card despite being the heel.

* Herd wanting Ric to put over Lex for the title March 23, 1990

Ric refused and invoked a clause in his contract that wasn't to dissimilar from the famous "creative control" clause in Bret's WWF contract. Ric didn't do the job that night.

* Herd wanting Ric to job to Lex than Barry in July 1991

The plan was for Ric to put over Lex at the Bash. Ric was okay with it in general, but also knew that his long term security was at risk without the title. He wanted a contract extension. I'd have to go back and look, but I think he had another year left on his contract. Herd had offered an extension, but it was at a cut that Ric didn't like. Anyway, he was clearly holding up WCW: give me a new contract extension at an amount I want, or I'll invoked my contract clause and refuse to job it to Lex at the Bash.

So Herd then had Flair booked against Barry on the final TV taping leading into the Bash, with the instructions that Flair drop the title to Barry. The thought that Ric wouldn't refuse to drop it to his friend Barry, who in turn would drop it to Lex at the Bash. Ric refused, no showed, and was "fired".

Which is what led him to the WWF for the first time.

Anyway, it's a generally glossed over part of Ric's career. In the Our Hero Ric Hierography, these are three shining examples of Ric standing up against Evil Wrestling Bookers/Promoters (Dusty was generally thought of by hardcores as an egotistical selfish bookers in those days, and Herd was a hated promoter among hardcores almost from the start). In reality... Ric pulled power plays, refused to job the title when asked/booked three times, and tried to hold the company up for a big extension.

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. It is after all what Hogan did regularly in WCW. :)

I shouldn't talk about Bret Hart, given my history of having a seemingly personal problem with him.

Not that I disagree with a single word you said about Flair here or in the other posts (I just quoted this one because I wanted to quote so it was clear who I responding to), but this just reminds me of how much that little cheapshot you took at me offended me, and how hypocritical it is.

Not that I really hold it against Ric or Hogan or Bret, or for that matter Choshu or Inoki or Triple H or whoever. After all what's the point of gathering power if you're not prepared to use it, from their perspective I suppose. It's just what people do. I just consider it expected from guys in that position.

I agree. I actually wish Cena would have protected himself a little better at times.

I think it's funny that moves like this make Hogan and Nash EVIL but no one mentions it when its Flair or Steamboat....

Yeah... I get how editing can be a pain in the rear. :) As far as long... once I scroll past the text on the first window, look over the the right hand side and see how much more there's left in the article by gauging the lack of significant movement in the scroll bar, I'm all:

"Woo-hoo~! Long in depth article! Awesome!"

It's one of the ironies of the online world of reporting: Newspaper articles get shorter and shorter, while a lot of the better long form writing has moved online. If it's good stuff, people will read it. I know there's a balance on standard reporting (such as writing up a UFC card), but with Feature Writing... editors gotta let their writers go. Some tightening up when it's rambling (wait... why is everyone looking at me), but more info is good.

Anyway, I like when you've been able to stretch out like this and the item on UFC contracts. Online writing doesn't mean folks need to dumb it down into USA Today length all the time.

Yeah... I get how editing can be a pain in the rear. :) As far as long... once I scroll past the text on the first window, look over the the right hand side and see how much more there's left in the article by gauging the lack of significant movement in the scroll bar, I'm all:

"Woo-hoo~! Long in depth article! Awesome!"

It's one of the ironies of the online world of reporting: Newspaper articles get shorter and shorter, while a lot of the better long form writing has moved online. If it's good stuff, people will read it. I know there's a balance on standard reporting (such as writing up a UFC card), but with Feature Writing... editors gotta let their writers go. Some tightening up when it's rambling (wait... why is everyone looking at me), but more info is good.

Anyway, I like when you've been able to stretch out like this and the item on UFC contracts. Online writing doesn't mean folks need to dumb it down into USA Today length all the time.

I'll chime in to note that easily the most successful (traffic and comments) piece I've done at BR since returning (actually, maybe ever at BR) was that mishandled WWE developmental prospects slideshow, which was, while broken up, also really long. There's absolutely a demand.