Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

It will take a little while for this divorce to get settled. Hard to tell if Ric will be able to get married again in 2013, or if he'll have to wait until 2014.

We need a scorecard for Terry Funk retirements vs Flair marriages.

18 times divorcee !!! Woooo ! To be with the Man, you've got to marry the Man !

I wonder what it is about Flair's particular form of low-lifery that compels him to keep getting married. Yes, his existence would be a mess of self-destruction regardless, but at least he'd owe money to fewer people.

I think he has a codependent personality. That was how he came across in his book and shoot interview.

Not to make this political, but Ric Flair was a Jesse Helms supporter. I'm sure he doesn't support the right of gay people to marry, because he wants to preserve the sanctity of the institution.

Maybe he doesn't give a shit about social issues and just doesn't like paying taxes.

Speaking of Helms supporters, it always cracks me up when Bob Caudle gets Steamboat and Youngblood confused during the Final Conflict cage match. I guess they all look the same to him.

Supposedly Flair had some abandonment/commitment issues resulting from his being adopted as a child. Different people handle that and the attending circumstances in various ways and outside of his seemingly being open to showing emotion, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hasn't exactly sought out to formally resolve these issues and insecurities. Hopefully he can find some happiness without causing too much damage to his family.

Not to make this political, but Ric Flair was a Jesse Helms supporter. I'm sure he doesn't support the right of gay people to marry, because he wants to preserve the sanctity of the institution.

Maybe he doesn't give a shit about social issues and just doesn't like paying taxes.

Speaking of Helms supporters, it always cracks me up when Bob Caudle gets Steamboat and Youngblood confused during the Final Conflict cage match. I guess they all look the same to him.

I wonder if the WWE locker room would poll much differently than the general populace on gay marriage at this point? I know, having covered the NFL and MLB, that the athletes in those sports tend to be not so progressive (though we did have a Ravens player emerge as a leading spokesman for the Maryland ballot initiative this year.)

You won't see many prominent athletes embracing gay marriage or equality for homosexuals until it's accepted as a marketable issue. Civil rights, advocating for veterans, advocating for the mentally disabled....those are all issues that everyone now gets behind and it helps an athlete build his personal brand.

Michael Jordan said that "Republicans buy shoes too" back when someone asked him why he doesn't take a stance on certain issues. The same can be said about homophobes.

I think the tide is shifting a bit. You're seeing some non-prominent athletes supporting marriage equality and tolerance. The Minnesota Vikings' punter, the guy from the Ravens.....Their intentions seem genuine, plus it has gotten them some good publicity that they otherwise would have no chance of getting. If the bigger names start seeing the image-building benefits of supporting marriage equality, they'll eventually get braver and say a few things about it.

But yeah, a locker room is not the first place to go if you're looking for open-mindedness about marriage equality.

I'm sure Flair would gladly do a few ads supporting gay marriage if you paid him enough, then met his shakedown demands for a couple extra bucks right before the cameras started rolling.

I wonder if the WWE locker room would poll much differently than the general populace on gay marriage at this point? I know, having covered the NFL and MLB, that the athletes in those sports tend to be not so progressive (though we did have a Ravens player emerge as a leading spokesman for the Maryland ballot initiative this year.)