Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Gibson is awesome. I went over to the Rock 'n' Roll Express table on Thursday to get a picture with them and Robert was trying to get me to buy everything they had. T-shirts, bandanas, you name it. Finally bought a random DVD that I'll probably never watch, but hey, for $20, I got a DVD, picture, and an autographed picture, so I can't complain, even if all I really wanted was the picture with them.

Been watching BrickHithouse's WWF set a lot lately. Johnny Rodz....talk about a frustrating guy. "The Unpredictable One" certainly earns his nickname, but in two different ways. On offense, he can come up with some pretty creative, seemingly off-the-cuff stuff. But selling? Shit, he's way more miss than hit.

I'd like to get my hands on some Java Ruuk footage to see if he was always like that, or if he just developed that selling style being a WWF mid-range job guy for so long. He's a frustrating guy to watch, I want to like him more than I do...and I do like him...but I just can't.

Does anyone Have this magazine and willing to sell it or scan at 200 dpi minimum and send to me? Better yet, the original studio shot? Whatever the case, I can make it worth your while. Need this for a project. This image is too lo rez for what I am needing to do. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Posted Image

That's an awesome cover, but covers like that, the UWF trophy pic and Hogan/Andre on the cover of Wrestlemania III used to make me wonder as a kid why exactly those wrestlers who hated each other so much were in the same place.

Actually there's a thing in the Observer from around the time the UWF trophy cover came out. Dave says most of the comments he'd heard about that picture were in the same vein of "why were all those guys staging a photo together?'

Does anyone Have this magazine and willing to sell it or scan at 200 dpi minimum and send to me? Better yet, the original studio shot? Whatever the case, I can make it worth your while. Need this for a project. This image is too lo rez for what I am needing to do. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Posted Image

I actually have this. I actually kept all of my Apter mags and they are all in very good shape. Have a ton of them from 83-90.

That's an awesome cover, but covers like that, the UWF trophy pic and Hogan/Andre on the cover of Wrestlemania III used to make me wonder as a kid why exactly those wrestlers who hated each other so much were in the same place.

Actually there's a thing in the Observer from around the time the UWF trophy cover came out. Dave says most of the comments he'd heard about that picture were in the same vein of "why were all those guys staging a photo together?'

It's fine because wrestling was and still is portrayed as a legit competition on some level. Boxers who talk trash and punch each other in the face over and over again still get together for a news conference/weigh-in/photo-op before the fight.

Obviously, I think way too much about things like this......

It's fine because wrestling was and still is portrayed as a legit competition on some level. Boxers who talk trash and punch each other in the face over and over again still get together for a news conference/weigh-in/photo-op before the fight.

Obviously, I think way too much about things like this......

I guess the difference is that boxing doesn't run angles where people are sneak attacked in parking lots, or during matches or interviews.

In the issues of the UWF/PWI tournament and the Original ME vs the Cornette Express they actually try to explain how they got the covers for both shots. It's been a long time since I have read the issues but I remember for the UWF tournament they said they had the fan favorites on one side of the room and the rule breakers on the other side and were going to do individual photos with the trophy which was on a table in the middle of the room or something like that. They said Terry Taylor was looking at the trophy and then picked it up and one of the rule breakers came over and said that's mine or something. Then they all started grabbing the trophy and of course that's how they got the cover photo.

Hey I believed it when I was 12.

There was that time they had a guy do a dropkick off of a car outside a nightclub, followed by a promo since cameras caught the whole thing. Which ruled.

That was Larry Holmes attacking Trevor Berbick. It still gets replayed on Sports highlight top-tens pretty often.

There was that time they had a guy do a dropkick off of a car outside a nightclub, followed by a promo since cameras caught the whole thing. Which ruled.

That was Larry Holmes attacking Trevor Berbick. It still gets replayed on Sports highlight top-tens pretty often.

In case anybody hasn't seen this:

I posted this in the Yearbook section, but I wanted to share it more widely. Talking about Matt Borne's run in WCW as "Big Josh", the fact that WCW had Matt Borne and told him to wrestle like an untrained lumberjack is so dumb. But how good was Borne considering that he could actually do that, and be convincing?