Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Meltzer said most of press row agreed with him, but it's notable that no other members of the press went on record as believing GSP won the fight when Dana asked the question and the post-fight poll of MMA media had Hendricks winning universally.

The cynic in me wants to think the whole GSP thing is a phony quasi-retirement to build for a future fight and/or help him milk more money out of UFC. I also think Dana's antics - including shitting on the NSAC - were all bout building a rematch.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Jiz

Meltzer said most of press row agreed with him, but it's notable that no other members of the press went on record as believing GSP won the fight when Dana asked the question and the post-fight poll of MMA media had Hendricks winning universally.

The cynic in me wants to think the whole GSP thing is a phony quasi-retirement to build for a future fight and/or help him milk more money out of UFC. I also think Dana's antics - including shitting on the NSAC - were all bout building a rematch.

I think so too. It's obvious hype. But GSP was certainly not acting. He's a guy with severe head trauma, and his next fight could do him in.

No surprise. The "media", which is mostly a bunch of bloggers that meet up and party during the events, are way too scared of Dana. Very few are willing to call Dana on his callousness: it's usually Meltzer, Snowden and people who are on Dana's shitlist for life so they have nothing to lose.

Dana was disgusting saying that a concussed GSP owed the fans and the company a rematch. Someday this shit is all going to catch up with him, Don King or Vince McMahon style.

I also think Dana's antics - including shitting on the NSAC - were all bout building a rematch.

The shitting on the NSAC was more to do with Dana disliking Keith Kizer I imagine.

Dave mentioned that the night before there were some sort of shenanigans involving the NSAC during the taping of TUF (BJ vs Edgar) so Dana was pissed.

This one goes for KrisZ, or any other guys here who watch AAA regularly.

For the first time in almost a decade I have watched AAA not involving Park or Wagner. Now, I know that Konnan blows a lot of smoke up his ass when talking about AAA wrestlers. But for a long time he's been talking up Daga as this next Mexican Bryan/Punk type guy with slick MMA submissions... and I have seen him 3 times now and I think that he's terrible. He's like a slow and uncoordinated version of Davey Richards that doesn't lay his shit in and his submissions frankly don't look more intense or painful than anything by Ringo Mendoza. I can see why he likes Fenix so much (I don't, but I can see why he does), but can't see anything at all in Daga. Is it just me or what? Am I completely wrong in my ways or should I stop wasting my time with AAA? (FWIW I like Texano Jr. a lot)

I also think Dana's antics - including shitting on the NSAC - were all bout building a rematch.

The shitting on the NSAC was more to do with Dana disliking Keith Kizer I imagine.

Dave mentioned that the night before there were some sort of shenanigans involving the NSAC during the taping of TUF (BJ vs Edgar) so Dana was pissed.

It's also because Kizer keeps picking judges and referees (e.g. Steve Mazzagatti) that Dana thinks are incompetent.

(Should this be spun off into a More Wrestling Than Wrestling thread?)

I'm with Dylan and Zero. Obviously I don't think Dave is making them up and I think it's hilariously awful that none of them raised their hands at the press conference other than that one guy whose name Dana didn't know, but it's weird that nobody has any idea who they are and Dave can only name one of them (Greg Savage). Were none of them covering it live? MMADecisions.com could probably track more media scores than they do now, but none of their reporter scores were in favor of GSP.

On the F4W/WON board, Todd Martin and Oliver Copp both said they scored R1/the fight for GSP, but they're clearly second guessing it. Someone asked Todd about the Travis Brown on Gabriel Gonzaga style elbows Hendricks landed on GSP in the clinch (which clearly landed incredibly hard on the broadcast) and he explained that happened on the opposite side of the cage from press row. Oliver had already rewatched it on his iPad and had pretty much changed his mind.

The judges have monitors, but who knows how often they use them since stuff like impact of the blows is, clinches against the cage aside I guess, usually supposed to come off better live. Wouldn't shock me if Glenn Trowbridge was closest to the fighters when that went down. It could very well have looked like Hendricks was throwing token shots to defend the takedown otherwise.

Georges St-Pierre will take a break from the UFC to handle 2 major personal crises -- his father is dying and he got a woman pregnant and doesn't want her to have the baby ... TMZ Sports has learned.

GSP repeatedly made cryptic remarks after his controversial win Saturday over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 -- telling Joe Rogan he needed to step away from the sport to deal with personal issues.

Now, sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ Sports ... Georges' dad is dying and it's derailed him.

And there's this ... GSP recently learned he knocked up a woman -- and he doesn't want to have a baby with her but she insists on keeping it.

After his fight on Saturday, GSP said his situation is so bad he can't sleep -- "I'm going crazy. I have issues, man. I need to relax. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do."

It's clear ... Georges was not himself in the ring ... something that was written all over his face after the fight.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/18/georges-st-p.../#ixzz2l1443rEW

This one goes for KrisZ, or any other guys here who watch AAA regularly.

For the first time in almost a decade I have watched AAA not involving Park or Wagner. Now, I know that Konnan blows a lot of smoke up his ass when talking about AAA wrestlers. But for a long time he's been talking up Daga as this next Mexican Bryan/Punk type guy with slick MMA submissions... and I have seen him 3 times now and I think that he's terrible. He's like a slow and uncoordinated version of Davey Richards that doesn't lay his shit in and his submissions frankly don't look more intense or painful than anything by Ringo Mendoza. I can see why he likes Fenix so much (I don't, but I can see why he does), but can't see anything at all in Daga. Is it just me or what? Am I completely wrong in my ways or should I stop wasting my time with AAA? (FWIW I like Texano Jr. a lot)

Daga has talent but they have done him no favors in his push. Daga is still very young and green so he has a lot to learn but they pushed him too high for his level of experience. Daga is one of these guys that watched US indies of the last few years and ripped off the style and sadly there are a lot of the younger luchadores going that way.

Fenix is very good and has really impressed people with his NOAH work so he is on the rise.

AAA as a promotion is hit and miss as they have some really good young talent but some crappy booking and the main events are mostly stale. Hijo del Texano is pretty damn good I agree.

I remember really digging this Daga v. Suicida match I saw live on a IWL PPV, might have been overating it with the novelty of watching a live Lucha IPPV, I also liked some of his IWRG undercard stuff.

I could easily see your point, he is part of the current tape watching luchadore class, and that doesn't match up at all with what I want in lucha libre (or any wrestling for that matter), haven't seen any AAA Daga and I could see that atmosphere encouraging his worst tendencies.

Daga reminds me more of Kyle O'Reily than Davey. He's alright but like Krisz said, he's pretty green. Plus he's in the Perros groups so he has to team with useless guys like Psicosis and faces awful wrestlers like Joe Lider and Crazy boy weekly. He sure does job a lot for a guy Konnan apparently likes. Fenix is real good when he's facing his brother but I don't think he's as good as guys like Titan, Mascara Dorada or Aerostar.

High on everyone's book and shoot interview wishlist Pat Patterson is in the process of writing a book as per Jim Ross:

-Ross on Pat Patterson: "I'm told Pat Patterson is writing his memoirs and after seeing much of Pat's photo collection from over his career I'm betting the book will be great. Pat has a tremendous sense of humor and was one of the best in ring performers ever along with being a tremendous wrestling strategist. Pat's journey as a gay man in a largely homophobic, alpha Caucasian male, good old boys network known as pro wrestling in the territory days is one of courage and conviction. I can't wait to read it. I learned a great deal about the wrestling biz and life from Pat."

I will be really sad if Pat doesn't realise the potential of his story.