Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this needs its own thread, but...

I'm watching an episode of WCW Main Event that seems to have aired live before Bash At The Beach and, after being presented a motorcycle by some very nervous preteen Hulkamaniacs, The Giant just showed up wearing a shirt similar to one worn by Andre the Giant in "The Princess Bride." He throws it into the face of Hogan and shouts "Remember this?!?" before walking off. Then Hogan responds, "I know this shirt...this is Andre's shirt!" while the commentators act shocked.

I immediately tried to find this vid on YouTube and DailyMotion, but had no luck. I assume that some have seen the segment I'm talking about (I have it on a bootleg set of all the Main Events from 95' that I ordered [in Simpsons' "Hullabalooza" voice] "possibly while hi-igh").

I'm guessing this was the very first appearance of The Giant in WCW, but what happened next? I know the "big plot points," but did they ever talk about the Princess Bride shirt again or did they just assume the audience understood that? I know they billed him as Andre's son, but for how long? I know he ended up as part of the DoD, but was that from the beginning, or something that happened weeks later? I guess I always assumed he had debuted by running in and destroying Hogan (possibly after a Hulk/Vader or Hulk/Kevin Sullivan match) as that seemed to be how they introduced many of the "monsters" Hogan (or Undertaker, for that matter) would face in the 90s.

Anyway - can anyone track down this amazing gem of Wrestlecrappish and help me share it?

Not sure if this needs its own thread, but...

I'm watching an episode of WCW Main Event that seems to have aired live before Bash At The Beach and, after being presented a motorcycle by some very nervous preteen Hulkamaniacs, The Giant just showed up wearing a shirt similar to one worn by Andre the Giant in "The Princess Bride." He throws it into the face of Hogan and shouts "Remember this?!?" before walking off. Then Hogan responds, "I know this shirt...this is Andre's shirt!" while the commentators act shocked.

I immediately tried to find this vid on YouTube and DailyMotion, but had no luck. I assume that some have seen the segment I'm talking about (I have it on a bootleg set of all the Main Events from 95' that I ordered [in Simpsons' "Hullabalooza" voice] "possibly while hi-igh").

I'm guessing this was the very first appearance of The Giant in WCW, but what happened next? I know the "big plot points," but did they ever talk about the Princess Bride shirt again or did they just assume the audience understood that? I know they billed him as Andre's son, but for how long? I know he ended up as part of the DoD, but was that from the beginning, or something that happened weeks later? I guess I always assumed he had debuted by running in and destroying Hogan (possibly after a Hulk/Vader or Hulk/Kevin Sullivan match) as that seemed to be how they introduced many of the "monsters" Hogan (or Undertaker, for that matter) would face in the 90s.

Anyway - can anyone track down this amazing gem of Wrestlecrappish and help me share it?

I've seen that video on dailymotion, but can't seem to find it right now.

As for the DoD, I believe that was always the plan because the next time he was seen, it was in the front row during a DoD member's match (Kamala?). Then he officially became part of the DoD in the infamous "it's not hot" skit from the lair or whatever. The "Son of Andre" thing kep going at least through Havoc, with Hogan saying in the pre-show that when Giant grabbed him, he felt "the spirit of Andre" or some such shit. And after the "falling off of the building", Heenan kept asking for updates and saying "I knew his father".

My favourite Giant/Andre tie-in remains after Giant joined the nWo and Hall stopped a promo dead in its tracks by asking Giant "was Andre really your dad?"

My favourite Giant/Andre tie-in remains after Giant joined the nWo and Hall stopped a promo dead in its tracks by asking Giant "was Andre really your dad?"

I remember that cracked me up when I saw it about a year ago. Giant was obviously uncomfortable with the question.

- There are some new match possibilities for the upcoming WrestleMania 30 card. As previously reported, if WWE inserts Bryan into the title match, that would make a triple threat match between The Shield unlikely, since WWE does not want to have two triple threat matches on the same card. Another new possibility is a match between Triple H and Roman Reigns for the event. WWE is said to be very high right now on Reigns, and the storyline of The Authority using The Shield as henchmen for the past year would be a launching point for a match between Triple H and Reigns.

- PWInsider has a report on the reasons why WWE is opting not to talk about the recent departure of CM Punk. Vince McMahon personally likes Punk and wants to try and work things out with him since he's one of his top selling Superstars. Also, WWE has invested a lot of money into Punk with marketing ads and merchandise in stores, so they want to protect his name until his contract runs out in July. If the two sides cannot come to a new agreement, WWE will not mention Punk until his contract officially expires.

- WWE is reportedly discussing what they will air on the WWE Network while Raw and Smackdown are on TV. They are said to be discussing potential segments similar to what is seen on the WWE App for the network. There are also ideas floating around like guest panelists during Raw. The panelists would include former WWE and Hall of Fame Superstars.

- There are some new match possibilities for the upcoming WrestleMania 30 card. As previously reported, if WWE inserts Bryan into the title match, that would make a triple threat match between The Shield unlikely, since WWE does not want to have two triple threat matches on the same card. Another new possibility is a match between Triple H and Roman Reigns for the event. WWE is said to be very high right now on Reigns, and the storyline of The Authority using The Shield as henchmen for the past year would be a launching point for a match between Triple H and Reigns.

but...but...but... I thought the card was "set in stone." :lol:

Like many of us already speculated, WWE doesn't know what the fuck they're doing for Wrestlemania yet, let alone is the card "set in stone." Sure Punk taking off changed things but the vocal crowd couldn't have hurt! I just don't understand their logic sometimes.

Why has there not been a female wrestling commentator? I ask this from listening to current lucha. I think Stephanie Wyand though I am sure folks can correct me if she actually called matches. If Stephanie Wyand came around years later would she have been Wilma Wyand?

Not sure this is an answer you'd be looking for but the most obvious female commentator would be Jaguar Yokota.

Beauty Pair era AJW used a formula with their own commentator (whose name I can't recall at the moment) and a rotating cast, usually featuring a male comedian and a female singler/idol/actress.

Peach State was based out of Cordele....the promotion you are thinking of is North Georgia Wrestling Association

Kris,

Does any of that peach state exist?

I love the idea of Scott and Steve Armstrong as heels going up against their dad.

This was supposed to happen in Smoky Mountain, with Cornette managing the Armstrongs, but Steve took a job with All Japan, and Scott went to WCW as enhancement talent, so it never happened. One of my biggest regrets with SMW, as this surely would have been awesome, and the resulting Armstrongs/Rock 'n' Rolls matches would have been really great.

"Bob Armstrong worked against his sons Steve & Scott, who are heels in the local Peach State promotion, in a cage match on 5/30(/94) in Cordele, GA. Armstrong & The Blazers (R.D. Swain & Ray Lloyd) beat Scott & Steve with manager Mad Jack."

I have no idea who Swain is but come on, that match had to be a metric ton of fun.