Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Del Rio's debut vignettes were really good. They should have kept him off of live mics & guest commentary. I was excited for his debut, and he debuted in a big way with the Rey feud where he got big wins. But I always felt like he was missing something. His matches with Rey were good, but I don't know. I kind of want to say his style has never fit his gimmick, but I'm not sure I can really explain it.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Kobashi's title defense against Ogawa (absolutely badass match), it is actually a bit disappointing they did not switch the style up a little more often in All Japan and NOAH because Kobashi had one helluva working punch and he would have been so damn good at brawls.

yeah if there's a criticism of 90's All Japan it's that, while they were extremely good at what they did, they did kind of the same shit for the longest time.

What is the deal with wrestling shows and monday nights? You got Raw every week. Nitro countered that for years. Memphis Coliseum had their weekly shows too. WWF MSG shows were on mondays. For a few years Summerslam was held on a Monday. Building availability? Good night for ticket sales?

Yeah I think the problem with Alberto was just that his push was too high.

I feel like if he had debuted five/ten years ago, he would have won the U.S. Title fairly quickly and held it for like a year straight as the foreign heel cartoon champ dominating the midcard. And he would have worked fine as like the second from the top match at most on the Smackdown brand. Maybe he gets a minor title shot on PPV, maybe he is one of the final four 'potential winners' in the Rumble. And if THAT works, they move him up.

If he'd been pushed like MVP was for the first 18 months, he'd have been a lot better off, is what I'm saying.

But debuting in the 10s means he jobs for six months and then wins the world title. And then jobs some more. And world title in his first year on telly was just way above his station. But that's all they can think to do with guys. Lose matches and win world titles. At the same time.

Thankfully they seem to be getting away from that, especially with the unified title. I think Alberto was actually the last completely undeserving WWE Champion.

I feel like if he had debuted five/ten years ago, he would have won the U.S. Title fairly quickly and held it for like a year straight as the foreign heel cartoon champ dominating the midcard. And he would have worked fine as like the second from the top match at most on the Smackdown brand. Maybe he gets a minor title shot on PPV, maybe he is one of the final four 'potential winners' in the Rumble. And if THAT works, they move him up.

If he'd been pushed like MVP was for the first 18 months, he'd have been a lot better off, is what I'm saying.

But debuting in the 10s means he jobs for six months and then wins the world title. And then jobs some more. And world title in his first year on telly was just way above his station. But that's all they can think to do with guys. Lose matches and win world titles. At the same time.

Thankfully they seem to be getting away from that, especially with the unified title. I think Alberto was actually the last completely undeserving WWE Champion.

Orton sure loses a lot.

There are roughly sixteen former champions on the current roster, and I'd say maybe four of them have the potential to ever see a world title again as long as the belts are unified. Most of those guys are still approaching their prime, with a Rey and Khali thrown in. It speaks volumes about the booking of those belts for the last 7-8 years.

Watching the Piper/Funk episode of the Roundtable yesterday. They're talking about Terry still working indies and the kids not trying to learn from him. Paraphrasing from memory:

Dusty -- If I were on an indie card with Terry, I would be pulling him aside and picking his brain. Trying to learn everything I could. But they're too busy trying to think up their next flippy move.

Hayes -- Flippy move?

Ross -- What, like a hurricanrana?

Dusty - Yeah, a hurricanrana. I never did one of those, to this day.

They're just being crotchety old dudes complaining about the kids getting off their lawn. But it cracked me up. I love Dusty on these rountables.

It also occurs to me that this episode may never get on the network, even though it was really good, because there's a bizarre vignette about them vaselining up their hands to shove something up the bare ass of a naked Flair they've talked into getting onto a table in all fours -- and a young Piper walks in, says hello, turns around, and walks out.

Watching the Piper/Funk episode of the Roundtable yesterday. They're talking about Terry still working indies and the kids not trying to learn from him. Paraphrasing from memory:

Dusty -- If I were on an indie card with Terry, I would be pulling him aside and picking his brain. Trying to learn everything I could. But they're too busy trying to think up their next flippy move.

Hayes -- Flippy move?

Ross -- What, like a hurricanrana?

Dusty - Yeah, a hurricanrana. I never did one of those, to this day.

They're just being crotchety old dudes complaining about the kids getting off their lawn. But it cracked me up. I love Dusty on these rountables.

It also occurs to me that this episode may never get on the network, even though it was really good, because there's a bizarre vignette about them vaselining up their hands to shove something up the bare ass of a naked Flair they've talked into getting onto a table in all fours -- and a young Piper walks in, says hello, turns around, and walks out.

That's funny because Funk used a moonsault (aka flippy move) in his older days on the indies.

Young Indy wrestler: Mr. Funk....um.....nice to meet you, sir.....I'm a big fan.....um, do you have any advice for a young wrestler like me?

Terry Funk: I'll tell you three things that'll help you make it, son: 1. Hard work. 2. Know how to sell. 3. Flippy moves. You gotta have flippy moves.

The thing they're trying shove up Flair's ass was his hemorrhoids.

Also, change "trying to think up their next flippy move" to "playing their next video game" or "tweeting about their dinner." The point still stands. The point wasn't about the moves, it was about not taking advantage of learning opportunities from legends of the industry. Terry Funk is one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all-time. If you're interested in being a star in pro-wrestling, why would you NOT want to pick his brain?

Hmm, well I guess it's a bit tamer when you tell it -- what with your facts, and stuff. ;-) Still, a bizarre story. Wrestlers really are a special breed.

I think they even mention that Terry is the type who would be happy to share his insights on the business to respectful young workers who just want to learn. That's probably how Foley because BFFs with him, come to think of it.

In one of the threads here I read a list of Meltzer's top workers of 1983. He had Funk listed at number nine, but noted that his knees were shot. In 1983. It's unreal that he was moonsaulting off ladders fifteen years later and wrestling at all nearly thirty years later.

Orton sure loses a lot.

Yeah maybe "undeserving" was a bad expression because I didn't mean it like a guy who loses a lot. I guess I meant more "midcard champion". Orton loses a lot on TV but he's a big established star on the show and at least looks like he should be on top. Alberto, Miz, Sheamus' first reign...those guys literally looked like midcarders who had been given the WWE Title by clerical error. They seemed out of place, because they weren't booked or perceived to be on that level.

Tony Schiavone was asked on Twitter what his favorite match he ever called was and he answered with a very interesting choice.

@RyanRules99: @tonyschiavone24 Whats your favorite match you ever called ?”hogan vs Bossman steel cage MSG Network 1989

That was then followed by this question

No intro needed @danpom 20h

@tonyschiavone24 Tony how comes you went back to WCW?

@danpom was offered a lot if money by WCW. was a big mistake.

Del Rio's debut vignettes were really good. They should have kept him off of live mics & guest commentary. I was excited for his debut, and he debuted in a big way with the Rey feud where he got big wins. But I always felt like he was missing something. His matches with Rey were good, but I don't know. I kind of want to say his style has never fit his gimmick, but I'm not sure I can really explain it.

There was a moment where he winked before pushing a jobber off the apron in his debut match and at the time everyone over at DVDVR went nuts for that. It was such a little thing but so different from everything the rest of the roster was doing at the time.

Tony Schiavone was asked on Twitter what his favorite match he ever called was and he answered with a very interesting choice.

@RyanRules99: @tonyschiavone24 Whats your favorite match you ever called ?”hogan vs Bossman steel cage MSG Network 1989

That was then followed by this question

No intro needed ‏@danpom 20h

@tonyschiavone24 Tony how comes you went back to WCW?

I4uX0kCQ_bigger.jpegTony Schiavone ‏@tonyschiavone24

@danpom was offered a lot if money by WCW. was a big mistake.

That's interesting. I wonder what would have happened had he stayed with the WWF. Does he wind up taking over play by play from Gorilla in the mid-90's, rather than Vince? Does he eventually become the voice of Raw? What happens when Watts gets fired in '93? Is Ross less expendable without Schiavone waiting in the wings as the new play by play guy for WCW?

Or is Schiavone only saying this because he wants WWE to keep using him as a talking head for the Network?

I was covering a Louisville Bats game a couple of years ago. They were playing the Gwinnett Braves. I'm walking through the press area, and pass a chubby bearded dude who looks really familiar to me. Didn't hit me until I was gone that it was Schiavone.

Always assumed the people behind Bloodstained Memoirs were your average money marks until I read the book David Sinnott put out. He comes across a nice guy with a sound head who's passion was making films so fair play. I say this because his book is free on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Bloodstained-Memoirs-David-Sinnott-ebook/dp/B007ZQMHRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395433583&sr=8-3&keywords=bloodstained+memoirs

What is the deal with wrestling shows and monday nights? You got Raw every week. Nitro countered that for years. Memphis Coliseum had their weekly shows too. WWF MSG shows were on mondays. For a few years Summerslam was held on a Monday. Building availability? Good night for ticket sales?

There really wasn't any deal until WCW decided to launch Nitro.

Monday was considered just another night. Although some areas, like Memphis placed a higher priority on it because that was the day of their biggest show.

Prior to the Monday night wars, Saturday was probably the wrestling day, for most of the country.