Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I'm not seeing the Reigns backlash everyone else is seeing. Fans seem to respond to him

This prediction of a Roman Reigns backlash is just so weird to me. It's like certain pockets of the internet are just so upset that WWE sees more in Reigns than they do Ambrose that they have just manufactured this whole scenario. Roman Reigns is over. He's not getting negative reactions.

Exactly. The only place I've seen a negative reaction to Reigns was at the NXT show. And that's a small audience full of smarky fans who chant "We're marking out!" And the idea that Philly is still some sort of smart fan paradise with a crowd who will hijack a show is silly. At a WWE show in Philly it's still mainly the core audience. Parents with their kids and people who just watch WWE and don't go to message boards or read the sheets.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I have a litle more context to SMW's Fan Weeks I find the idea to be pretty innovative in doing something that appeals directly to the most hardcore of hardcore fans:

SMW has finalized plans for a one-week long fan convention from 8/13 to 8/20 aimed specifically at newsletter readers which is the first time any wrestling promotion has ever attempted such an undertaking. SMW will provide all fans to ringside seats for seven house shows in the eight day period, hotel rooms at the Grand Hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN (in the heart of the Smoky Mountain tourist area), bus transportation to all the house shows, a lunch with all the babyfaces, a dinner with all the heels, a wrestling training class with Tim Horner and a interview/press conference Q&A session with Jim Cornette which fans can videotape for their own collection. SMW will be planning three major events during that period and hold one television taping. On 8/13 they'll have a show called "Hot August Night in Motown," in Morristown, TN, 8/14 is the second annual "Fire on the Mountain" card in Johnson City, TN which will be headlined by a Rage in the cage (War Games) and 8/20 will be a card entitled "K-Town Showdown" in Knoxville. The television taping will be 8/16 in Clintwood, VA. There is both the full eight days plan and also a shortened five day version from 8/13 to 8/17. Besides the regular SMW crew, already confirmed as working the big shows are W*ING wrestlers Crash the Terminator, Miguelito Perez and Yukihiro Kanemura (who will have a revenge match with Kevin Sullivan on 8/13), plus Mongolian Stomper and Big Bossman.

My feeling about the crowd turning on Reigns isn't so much about anything he does or doesn't do, it's more of the crowd not responding to the guy the company deems "The Man". Instead of letting things happen organically, Vince/WWE insists they know what the fans want, and it ends up coming off as a forced/corporate thing.

I thought I read that fans turned on Roman on the last RAW and people were chanting for Daniel Bryan during the match.

Yes, that did happen. He got a pretty tepid response which became boos and DB chants before it was over. Smackdown crowd seemed into him thougb. Visibly so, not just crowd sweetening.

Wait, what? I haven't seen the last Raw, and I'm completely baffled as to why a crowd who didn't like Reigns would start chanting for Daniel Bryan. They know he can't actually be wrestling right now, don't they? It's not like they're getting Reigns in his place, he's still not cleared from his injury.

The RAW thing was a bunch of guys opposite the hard cam who brought signs like "Rollins looks so indie" and "Eat, sleep, skip show, repeat". There aren't that many people dumb enough to chant for Daniel Bryan during a Reigns match.

I mean, if you want to protest, Ambrose is right there. Don't chant for the guy who we have no idea when he'll be able to wrestle again.

Now that I have a litle more context to SMW's Fan Weeks I find the idea to be pretty innovative in doing something that appeals directly to the most hardcore of hardcore fans:

SMW has finalized plans for a one-week long fan convention from 8/13 to 8/20 aimed specifically at newsletter readers which is the first time any wrestling promotion has ever attempted such an undertaking. SMW will provide all fans to ringside seats for seven house shows in the eight day period, hotel rooms at the Grand Hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN (in the heart of the Smoky Mountain tourist area), bus transportation to all the house shows, a lunch with all the babyfaces, a dinner with all the heels, a wrestling training class with Tim Horner and a interview/press conference Q&A session with Jim Cornette which fans can videotape for their own collection. SMW will be planning three major events during that period and hold one television taping. On 8/13 they'll have a show called "Hot August Night in Motown," in Morristown, TN, 8/14 is the second annual "Fire on the Mountain" card in Johnson City, TN which will be headlined by a Rage in the cage (War Games) and 8/20 will be a card entitled "K-Town Showdown" in Knoxville. The television taping will be 8/16 in Clintwood, VA. There is both the full eight days plan and also a shortened five day version from 8/13 to 8/17. Besides the regular SMW crew, already confirmed as working the big shows are W*ING wrestlers Crash the Terminator, Miguelito Perez and Yukihiro Kanemura (who will have a revenge match with Kevin Sullivan on 8/13), plus Mongolian Stomper and Big Bossman.

In 1993, that would have been fantastic. But 7 shows in 8 days, as well as dinners, lunches and Q and As, sounds like overexposure.

In 1993, that would have been fantastic. But 7 shows in 8 days, as well as dinners, lunches and Q and As, sounds like overexposure.

I went to Pigeon Forge, TN last year whilst on Vacation in the US. What a wonderfully bizarre place. Some call it Redneck Vegas.

Changing the topic somewhat, since it's been rumored that Brock is pretty much done with WWE after Mania, if I was in charge I'd be trying to spread rumors that Lesnar was talking about not wanting to lose before going back to MMA and how they were going to have to do some big schmozz finish for the Mania main event. They have to do something to try and keep the crowd for turning him on his match like the one vs. Goldberg.

That's what Jim Ross proposed on a recent pod of his.

Anyone know if this show Terry Funk put on in October 93 in Amarillo made tape? I would like to see the Murdoch/Dory Funk vs. Heavenly Bodies tag for sure and Bossman/Hansen sounds interesting as well.

Terry Funk's 10/28 show (Funk vs. Eddie Gilbert in a death match, Dory Funk & Dick Murdoch vs. Heavenly Bodies, Tito Santana vs. Ted DiBiase, Stan Hansen vs. Big Bossman, etc) will be at the 7,000-seat Amarillo Civic Center Coliseum. It's called the High County Chevy Free-for-all sponsored by local Chevy dealerships and tickets are free at local Chevy dealers.

So I'm watching Rude/Warrior from Copps Coliseum 5/1/89--another decent effort from these two, interesting structure as Rude has to work a bit of control without actually getting much offense. Literally a few punches, a piledriver, and a camel clutch, and the rest is cutoffs. But the most remarkable thing is not Rude's piledriver, it's Warrior's, which is one of the most competent moves I've ever seen from him. It's actually...quite good. What. I haven't watched their PPV matches in years but I damn sure don't remember that. (So I went back and sure enough, Warrior piledriver at SummerSlam. I stand corrected. It's still pretty much their best match, of course, with Rude's absurd bumps and a double heat segment.)

Heck, I also don't remember ever seeing him try a slingshot suplex, but there it was in this match. And it wasn't terrible either! Rude really would do anything for Warrior, apparently.

Does anyone know what Hana Mansion Pro Wrestling is? I found a video and am watching it but have no concept of what this promotion is exactly. It's from Japan and here is the card for the video I'm watching:

Hana mansion Pro Wrestling 3rd season pattern of the second Section 10.24 tournament!

1 – The Roller Coaster & Disc-O VS The lightning monster & Fujin

2 – master ghost vs Mr. Swan

3 – Hana mansion pro wrestling certified Tag Team Championship next challenger finals Mary’s & Wild Miguel vs peach tallow & surprised Boo

4 – Asakusa Kid vs Death bouncer

5 – Hana mansion pro wrestling certified indiscriminate Championship black coaster vs Thunder

It appears that some of the characters are anime or video game related. I'm not even sure if the wrestling is "good" but it's kind of fun to watch.

You probably got your answer by now (just saw your post) but it is an indie promotion that runs at/appears to be owned by some sort of Amusement Park in Japan. The amusement park and the promotion share a name. From what I gather, it is a monthly attraction at the Park. The shows are put up on the NicoNico wrestling channel. I watched parts of a couple of shows a while ago and agreed, it was kind of fun to watch. The wrestling wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It wasn't good but it was sort of entertaining.

I went to Pigeon Forge, TN last year whilst on Vacation in the US. What a wonderfully bizarre place. Some call it Redneck Vegas.

That would be Branson, MO.

Watching some Gulf Coast from the 70s today and I just saw a match with Dutch Mantel working as Dutch Bass the kayfabe brother of Ron Bass. I had no idea Dutch and Ron worked as a kayfabe brother team.

Also stumbled upon a guy named Frank Stanley who surely is the illegitimate father of Buddy Landel. Watch just a minute of him and tell me that doesn't fit.

One of my regrets in life is that I never got to go to SMW Fan Week. If SMW had lasted into 1996, I very likely would have figured out a way to go that year, but I was a bit too young in 1995 to pull it off. I once called into WOL to ask Cornette if he'd ever do a Fan Week in OVW, and they just didn't run enough shows to make it worthwhile.

Is CageSideSeats a respected site? Just got linked to an article on there that claims Rollins vs Bryan in an Ironman Match should be the main event of Wrestlemania, not to mention this classic gem:

"If Sting is going to have any shot of having anything resembling a classic in his one and only WWE match, Triple H is probably the safest bet to give it to him."