Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I think is biggest problem is that he just looks stupid as fuck. Say what you want about wrestlers not all needing to look the same, but what does Albert bring to the table? He's big? Everyone in WWE is big. He's fat? They have other fat guys too, like Brodus Clay and Big Show (also both big). He's a big doofy white guy with a silly, stereotypical Japanese gimmick doing weak-looking offense in painfully long squash matches. Meanwhile Skip Sheffield on Smackdown looks like a fucking murderer and it running through people like Goldberg and looking like he killed them in the process.

I think they're just doing it all wrong. The guy, the gimmick, the pace...it's all wrong.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently WWE released Tough Enough winner Andy Leavine a while back. That's not shocking since he was easily the worst guy in FCW. It's kinda funny that out of all those Tough Enough people, the first one to make tv was the "My favorite match of all time is Melina vs Alicia Fox" girl.

Why else is he there? Jesus any wrestler on TV wants two things.

1. The Title

2. Money

Neither of these things needs to be said outright.

There's a reason "what's my motivation" is the classic actor stereotype. The audience needs to know why they should give two shits about someone. If they're a hired gun by the boss to take out the annoying babyface who foils his plans, then say so. If he wants to be world champion, say so. Leaving things up to the fans to figure out is lazy booking at best and at worst you damage your promotion by not giving your fans a reason to be emotionally invested in anything.

He is a wrestler in a wrestling promotion. His motivation goes without saying.

Just as an example off the top of my head, early NXT Daniel Bryan stuff was built entirely upon "he's so boring and needs to be more charasmatic" nothing to do with making money, wining matches or championships.

Things like that long ago stoped being important, "well duh" motivations for ppl in wrestling.

Guy who wins a match goes to the pay winda and makes more money then guy who loses or guy who wins a lot of matches can challenge for a title which will make him the most money isn't really stressed anymore.

1. The Title

2. Money

How do you accomplish this in the WWE, though? It's not like they ever mention the winner of a match getting more money than the loser. And there's no rhyme or reason to who gets title shots. Chris Jericho loses clean at Wrestlemania, but he gets a rematch because he hit CM Punk in the head with a whiskey bottle? So stupid.

I think is biggest problem is that he just looks stupid as fuck. Say what you want about wrestlers not all needing to look the same, but what does Albert bring to the table? He's big? Everyone in WWE is big. He's fat? They have other fat guys too, like Brodus Clay and Big Show (also both big). He's a big doofy white guy with a silly, stereotypical Japanese gimmick doing weak-looking offense in painfully long squash matches. Meanwhile Skip Sheffield on Smackdown looks like a fucking murderer and it running through people like Goldberg and looking like he killed them in the process.

I think they're just doing it all wrong. The guy, the gimmick, the pace...it's all wrong.

Albert does tons of things better than Skip. Its not his fault he is having to hold back his move set. The Baldo Bomb is better than anything Skip does.

I don't think so. I think it looks generic. I do really like the Train Wreck though, which he never does anymore. That move looked brutal. But spitting on your hand and doing a Claw hold sure as fuck isn't going to get you over in 2012. HA!

I think the gimmick would be ok, but the big problem is he doesn't come as off dangerous. Umaga at least projected wild and uncontrollable even if it took a while for people to buy the Spike as his finish. Nothing Tensai does other than the senton looks like it's really painful. If you're going to bring a guy in with an over the top gimmick and try and push him as a monster, he needs to at least look the part in the ring. So far Tensai has not.

1. The Title

2. Money

How do you accomplish this in the WWE, though? It's not like they ever mention the winner of a match getting more money than the loser. And there's no rhyme or reason to who gets title shots. Chris Jericho loses clean at Wrestlemania, but he gets a rematch because he hit CM Punk in the head with a whiskey bottle? So stupid.

Actually, after Young and Titus beat the Usos on SD last week Booker said "It may have been ugly but they won and go to the pay window" or something like that. I was like, "YES!" not just for the Dusty reference but for someone finally mentioning that again. Also, as far as Jericho getting a rematch because of what you mentioned, that's basic Pro Wrestling. Bad guy loses the match and then later attacks the good guy with a weapon or some such thing and the good guy is so pissed he gives the bad guy another shot so he, the good guy, can get his hands on him.

Also, as far as Jericho getting a rematch because of what you mentioned, that's basic Pro Wrestling. Bad guy loses the match and then later attacks the good guy with a weapon or some such thing and the good guy is so pissed he gives the bad guy another shot so he, the good guy, can get his hands on him.

I love that about pro wrestling. Instead of just beating the guy up backstage or at the gym you're willing to risk losing your championship to give a guy you just beat cleanly a rematch with some wild stipulation that usually doesn't favor you.

I would just smash the guy's head in in the parking lot. I wouldn't be a very good professional wrestler.

Also, as far as Jericho getting a rematch because of what you mentioned, that's basic Pro Wrestling. Bad guy loses the match and then later attacks the good guy with a weapon or some such thing and the good guy is so pissed he gives the bad guy another shot so he, the good guy, can get his hands on him.

I love that about pro wrestling. Instead of just beating the guy up backstage or at the gym you're willing to risk losing your championship to give a guy you just beat cleanly a rematch with some wild stipulation that usually doesn't favor you.

I would just smash the guy's head in in the parking lot. I wouldn't be a very good professional wrestler.

In theory it makes it all the more sweeter when you DO beat the heel again. Like all his efforts were for naught.

That's not what happened, though. Punk didn't demand a match so he could get his hands on Jericho. Dousing Punk with beer somehow led to Jericho being granted a title match without Punk's knowledge or consent.

Well you'd think after being doused, a fuming Punk would be storming into somebody's office demanding Jericho's head. Otherwise that's a hell of one even keeled dude.

1. The Title

2. Money

Shouldn't need to be said outright, except for the fact that WWE rarely does a good job focusing on those aspects of the game. In booking, writing, commentary, use of secondary titles, reasoning v. arbitrary title shots.....it's a pretty poor showing across the board when it comes to this simple, classical aspect of pro-wrestling, and I say that as a fan of modern WWE.

It seems like simple concepts, but when the last decade of booking has been mostly soap opera/comedy/gaga oriented....title/money is mostly a backdrop for the bullshit. Not all the time, but more often than not.

That's not what happened, though. Punk didn't demand a match so he could get his hands on Jericho. Dousing Punk with beer somehow led to Jericho being granted a title match without Punk's knowledge or consent.

Yeah. Meltzer and Alvarez pointed out how stupid this was on one of their radio shows, and how simple it would have been to just have Punk get in Jericho's face and challenge him to a Chicago Street Fight, and Jericho says, "as long as the belt is on the line" which is what he wanted all along. It's incredible that they got 75% of the way there with the angle and then just announced the match with no real fanfare.

Waited until I listened to it but I posted it. Well it is a really ****ing great.

I sat in a broom cupboard backstage at the O2 Arena and chatted with professional wrestler William Regal about his life, career and love of British comedy. At the age of 15 he was taking on all comers on Blackpool Pleasure Beach, and now is one of the most beloved and respected performers in the WWE. He has quite the story. As an added bonus we've also included a lecture I gave at part of the ToMax talks project about how I got into variety and cabaret, and why it's so important to me. Thanks for listening!

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/mat_ricar...ndon_varieties/

Time mark: 14:00

Apparently WWE released Tough Enough winner Andy Leavine a while back. That's not shocking since he was easily the worst guy in FCW.

Makes the entire show look like shit though in retrospect. And Steve Austin kinda like a dork.

It's kinda funny that out of all those Tough Enough people, the first one to make tv was the "My favorite match of all time is Melina vs Alicia Fox" girl.

Oh, the irony.

It seems that Buff Bagwell was in a serious car accident. From the Observer website:

According to sources, the accident is confirmed and happened last night, not earlier today. Bagwell's jeep reported flipped over eight or nine times, leaving him with a broken neck and reports are his jaw has been wired shut and will be that way for at least six months.

Shit.