Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Well, unless you count the fact it was available for free to everyone who went to the website.

Wait, I didn't have to use the Flash player link that someone dug out of the HTML code last time? It was showing up for everyone who logged in?

All of the Benoit tribute spots topped off by a Benoit chant and Davey Richards garrotting Kevin Steen was...something.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unless you count the fact it was available for free to everyone who went to the website.

Wait, I didn't have to use the Flash player link that someone dug out of the HTML code last time? It was showing up for everyone who logged in?

All of the Benoit tribute spots topped off by a Benoit chant and Davey Richards garrotting Kevin Steen was...something.

I didn't watch but if that's true, fuck Richards and fuck every fan that chanted that.

Adam Cole, who may or may not have had his two front teeth knocked out in his match with Kyle O'Reilly, is okay and they were able to save his teeth. We got a report that they were knocked out, and the announcers and fans all said his teeth were on the mat. He is okay and his teeth are fine. He got three stitches on his upper lip and still has a nasty cut.

Between this and this comment from the Observer this week, are we sure somebody has smartened up Kyle O'Reilly? Are we sure he knows wrestling is a work?

Richards, O’Reilly and Kozina have all competed in grappling tournaments and they have grown to love the real competition. He said their training builds a toughness and callousness that he said he’s sad to see is lacking in today’s pro wrestling. O’Reilly noted that when they go on the road, they always look for an MMA school in the area to train during the day, and that none of the other wrestlers have any interest in learning. “Not one time has someone asked, `Hey, can we come train with you guys?’ Not once, ever.”

The sentence immediately preceding that is even better.

He said it’s hard in pro wrestling for him because he doesn’t like his wins and losses being dictated, especially if he works and trains harder than his opponent, but in wrestling, that doesn’t really matter.

Note that the "he" in question is Davey Richards. It's probably for the best that he's planning on retiring next year, because he's likely to pull an Akira Maeda if he sticks around too long.

I didn't watch but if that's true, fuck Richards and fuck every fan that chanted that.

From what I saw: Mike Mondo did a swan dive headbutt that got a "Benoit" chant, Jay Lethal did the crossface, and Davey Richards did the throat slash gesture twice. And then Richards garroted Steen with a chain.

I only half agree.

The fan reaction is pretty cringe worthy but there are countless wrestlers that have done diving head butts, throat slashes & cross faces before & besides Benoit. Automaticly assuming they MUST be in tribute to him or thinking just because Benoit did a move no one should ever do it again is something I don't get.

I'm not sure who I blame more: The Indy geeks for doing it or Cornette & management booking a show this weekend (much less the anniversary of the bodies being found) and not telling everyone to not do any Benoit shit/garrot people. I mean it's not like there are a lot of matches with garrotting spots, at least it wasn't a cable/wire. Corino referencing the Daniel Bryan firing on commentary made it worse though since he was fired BECAUSE WWE had banned garrotting spots for Benoit reasons.

I only half agree.

The fan reaction is pretty cringe worthy but there are countless wrestlers that have done diving head butts, throat slashes & cross faces before & besides Benoit. Automaticly assuming they MUST be in tribute to him or thinking just because Benoit did a move no one should ever do it again is something I don't get.

They should have avoided those spots this weekend, much less on a show that happened to be booked today.

And (effectively) nobody used anything close to the Crippler Crossface before Malenko "gifted it" to Benoit.

I'm going to give Lethal a pass for the crossface. I don't think it was meant as a Benoit tribute. He did it while he had another guy in a figure four, which was probably just some idea he had for a cool spot moreso than a Benoit tribute. The headbutt was a clear Benoit thing, and Richards using the chain as a garrot was just stupid, but the crossface was ambiguous enough to where I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, if it comes out later that he did intend it as a Benoit tribute, fuck him for doing it.