Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meltzer said that she was about to return to beat a Bella for the title in April, but they changed it because he reported it. So is this all his fault?

Dave and Bryan seem to be defensive when people joke about the "plans change" meme, but this seems like a case where it did actually happen. The Bellas mocked Kharma when she left after announcing her pregnancy, and the whole deal with one of them winning the title when their deal was ending that week was to set up her return to get her revenge and squash them. It got reported, WWE had one of their "word got out, we have to change this" spasms, and we got Layla coming out to zero reaction instead.

They never seemed to be able to find a way to write her back in, so I guess indirectly it's because of Meltzer. Wouldn't say it's his fault though.

and we got Layla coming out to zero reaction instead.

Bella's did an interview a few months back actually saying even when they knew it was Layla they still half exspected Kharma to come out instead last minute as a surprise rib on them.

No one better to ask than you guys, so I'll ask here: does a match between Tito Santana Vs. Rick Rude exist where neither man is a jobber? I would love to see a babyface Tito Vs. heel Rude match where they were given some time.

Following the Bella Twins on Twitter and I've noticed that Nikki got huge implants recently while Brie didn't. That's interesting to me considering their twins but not identical anymore by about a couple of cupsizes.

Give it a couple weeks & we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they both get implants & then go back to WWE. Even in their Maxim magazine interview this month they said they can't wait to go back to WWE.

But her pregnancy was announced on WWE and then the outcome of it was on TMZ & everywhere else. Even before all this happened we spoke about how firey/passionate she is given what happened to her in TNA. Now imagine some prick Wrestling fan saying something cruel to her at a show about her pregnancy. Law of the street says the guy should get his ass handed to him but this isn't the street it is a Public Company run by a family with political aspirations. Even if she turns in the other direction when harassed those sorts of comments would really hurt anyone's feelings let alone someone of a vulnerable disposition.

Really given her history of mental health problems, WWE shouldn't have put added pressure on her by publicly announcing her pregnancy. On paper they treated her well otherwise, but you don't know what went on behind the scenes.

Guest Slickster

Amusingly, WWE let the 'ECW' trademark for pro wrestling events expire so now a shell company of the Urban Wrestling Federation owns it.

To be clear, this means that (for the time being) this new shell company could in theory promote live events using the ECW brand name. This doesn't have any bearing on ECW IP or ECW's video library, which are still owned by WWE.

The other entity doesn't "own" anything. They applied for a registration, which only got assigned to an examining attorney at the USPTO last Tuesday. It's extremely early in the process, not anywhere close to registration yet.

The WWE is sitting on no less than seven registrations of ECW marks. They let one lapse. Three of the remaining ones are in Class 41 like the new one. They also have a fresh 2009 registration of Extreme Championship Wrestling in Class 41, and an application of it late in the process (recently published for opposition... and it won't be opposed) in Class 28 for toys.

My general thought on this Urban Wrestling Federation yahoo is:

Good fucking luck in getting that registered!

The only thing that this likely does is wake up the WWE to firm up registrations to cover their continuing use of the mark. And of course swat this fucker down.

Unless the WWE is much dumber about their IP rights than I think... but that historically hasn't been the case.

Please don't tell me that one of the major Sheets/Newzies ran mindlessly with this while not knowing a fucking thing about trademarks?

John

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/notices/international.jsp

CLASS 41

Education; providing of training; entertainment; sporting and cultural activities.

Explanatory Note

Class 41 covers mainly services rendered by persons or institutions in the development of the mental faculties of persons or animals, as well as services intended to entertain or to engage the attention.

This Class includes, in particular:

– services consisting of all forms of education of persons or training of animals;

– services having the basic aim of the entertainment, amusement or recreation of people;

– presentation of works of visual art or literature to the public for cultural or educational purposes.

Those are services, which pro wrestling shows would fall under. Video tapes, toys and t-shirts fall are "goods" and fall under various other classes.

A key to trademark law is the likelihood of confusion. You can not get a registration that's likely to be confused with an existing one. So filing for "ECW" in the same class as one where one or more already exist, for similar goods or services, is going to get bounced.

Filing for a mark where there's a strong one that's in a different class is likely to get bounced as well. Trying to file for iPod in some corner of the list of goods & services for a product that's totally unrelated to Apple's various iPod marks is... going to run into some problems. iPod is such a strong mark in the public that the confusion is that people will think this other product is somehow related, or endorsed by Apple, etc. Some folks try to be cute, but if you go up against something strong enough, you're going to get slapped.

In this case, the WWE has ECW / Extreme Championship Wrestling registrations. A pretty fair number of them. They continue to use the mark: ECW episodes and PPV are on their web and 24/7 (or whatever it's called now). They sell video tapes. Etc. They may not put on actually ECW wrestling events, but they use the mark a great deal for wrestling related goods and services.

Really shouldn't be that hard to smack own. In fact, it's quite likely that the Examining Attorney at the USPTO will smack it down with an Office Action, and this dumb fuck won't be able to respond to it in a satisfactory way... and it will die that way.

John

So a local promotion down here in South Texas decided to have a 14 hour pro wrestling event earlier today....

I was there for 5 hours. Out of kindness, I'll just say I really, really, really regret going for those hours and missing the HBO boxing PPV and the Strikeforce event.

Really given her history of mental health problems, WWE shouldn't have put added pressure on her by publicly announcing her pregnancy.

WWE made someone who probably won't make it past reality TV screening into a reality TV star it seems.

I thought that show was actually pretty funny and well produced until the IWC stuff started. Even then, parts of it made me laugh. That he has a Jushin Liger poster in the back with the others is pretty surprising. WWE produces this? I've never heard of it before.

But hip hop was no longer big in the early 90s. O ... k.

The AYS had me rolling. The smart mark stuff might anger many but it destroyed me especially the Dave Taylor shirt.

"Fyre with a Y"

And a "Disorderlies" reference!

Loss: the show is pretty hit or miss but can be hilarious when everything clicks. Brian and Josh are pretty witty guys

Following the Bella Twins on Twitter and I've noticed that Nikki got huge implants recently while Brie didn't. That's interesting to me considering their twins but not identical anymore by about a couple of cupsizes.

Give it a couple weeks & we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they both get implants & then go back to WWE. Even in their Maxim magazine interview this month they said they can't wait to go back to WWE.

Why were they let go?