Pro Wrestling Only

Massively hyped and then buried at the event

JerryvonKramer

In 2007 TNA made a big deal about bringing in Andrew "Test" Martin to be the third member of a team with Sting and Abyss against the Christian Coalition (Christian, Styles, Tomko). He got the huge star treatment on TV (OH MY GOD YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS!), was in the co-main of that months PPV, then was promptly out of the company. I don't even think he made another appearance on TV after the PPV, and his team won!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the most hyped event thing in the history of the WWF but what about Missy's Manor? I remember WWF Magazine having a write up on a Missy Hyatt interview show that came out in the Spring to Summer of 1987. I don't remember seeing her interview segment on any of the syndicated TV shows. Did the segments air on All American or on Prime Time Wrestling? Doing a quick youtube search I don't see anything coming up under the name Missy's Manor.

Not the most hyped event thing in the history of the WWF but what about Missy's Manor? I remember WWF Magazine having a write up on a Missy Hyatt interview show that came out in the Spring to Summer of 1987. I don't remember seeing her interview segment on any of the syndicated TV shows. Did the segments air on All American or on Prime Time Wrestling? Doing a quick youtube search I don't see anything coming up under the name Missy's Manor.

They never aired. Missy put them on her pay site at one point but WWE might have gotten them pulled. Some have shown up on Dailymotion and maybe YouTube. Try using alternate characters like $ signs for the S-es.

EDIT: Here's one http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xamv1t_mi...vage_shortfilms

They never aired. Missy put them on her pay site at one point but WWE might have gotten them pulled. Some have shown up on Dailymotion and maybe YouTube. Try using alternate characters like $ signs for the S-es.

Thanks Bix!

It's no wonder why the videos never made TV as Missy couldn't talk w/o tripping over her words.

Thanks Bix!

It's no wonder why the videos never made TV as Missy couldn't talk w/o tripping over her words.

I didn't really think that was so bad. Macho carried the segment of course but Missy only made one real glaring mistake.

This was sort of different than the other interview segments they had around this time: Piper's Pit, Body Shop, Snake Pit.

Does the KISS Demon in WCW count?

I don't think the wrestling people ever really had big plans for the character but I seem to remember the character getting some sort of "guaranteed main event" thing in the contract which led to a couple of "SPECIAL MAIN EVENT" billed matches on the undercards of PPV's so they could fulfill the terms of the sponsorship and bury him.

Guest Paul Kersey

Anyone mention mordecai?

He found his way back to Richie and Royal on the roof of the hotel the elder Tenenbaum now was working from...

A+

Hadn't Shawn Michaels threatened for weeks if he won the title from Bret in Montreal that he'd turn up on raw naked with the title? Or is that where that pic with the belt (seen with photoshopped genie Bret) came from?

Thought Brakus hung around ECW for a bit as one of Lance Wright's goofs when WWF was sending guys down.

For a more recent example, WTF was the deal w Johnny Curtis?

He won a season of NXT where the winner got a tag title shot w/ his pro. His pro R-Truth turned heel shortly afterwards and they completely dropped Curtis' title shot. Then I guess someone felt bad and decided they had to do something with him so they did all those weird vignettes, then someone else decided they didn't have a spot for him. He's back on NXT now which has dropped the competition aspect and morphed into a bad version of WWECW, doing some sort of creep/rapist gimmick.

Hadn't Shawn Michaels threatened for weeks if he won the title from Bret in Montreal that he'd turn up on raw naked with the title? Or is that where that pic with the belt (seen with photoshopped genie Bret) came from?

I, too, remember his threat that he would "walk naked" on Raw the next week. I imagine it was something "incredibly edgy" that Russo thought up but it got dropped due to Montreal.

Why I remember Michaels' threat to appear naked on Raw, of all things, is another matter...

In 2007 TNA made a big deal about bringing in Andrew "Test" Martin to be the third member of a team with Sting and Abyss against the Christian Coalition (Christian, Styles, Tomko). He got the huge star treatment on TV (OH MY GOD YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS!), was in the co-main of that months PPV, then was promptly out of the company. I don't even think he made another appearance on TV after the PPV, and his team won!

Hmm...thinking of TNA made me remember Trytan from mid-2005. They hyped him up pretty good, placed him in a feud with a fairly-over Monty Brown, then he basically bombed and was gone within 3 months.

Loch Ness is at least defensible because he retired from wrestling and went back to England due to health problems. Whether that's before or after they decided to job him out is unknown. The bigger question is why bring in 50 year old Giant Haystacks who was really only known in England and give him a big push instead of someone young?

In the Observer's obituary of Haystacks, Meltzer writes that those in power at the time were led to believe that he was some Vader-like super heavyweight worker, though from the moment that he did his first 'waddle in' that was clearly not the case and bar a few squashes and the match with the Giant, that was him done for. I have no idea where they got this belief from, unless someone like Regal was pulling a rib on them.

Someone did download all of the sections and put them onto disc before they were pulled, and all are out there in the Trading World (I got them from a guy over here in the UK).

• 2 weeks later...

How about Robocop at Capital Combat 90. He was on all the ads leading up, all of the announcers mentioned Robocop relentlessly, then he ends up walking out and pulling a cage door off and they got him in and out of there in 3 minutes.

Might have been more fun if he free'd Cornette from the cage for the finish of the Midnights-Zenk/Pillman match.

• 3 months later...

I have a vivid memory of a WCW News piece presented by Solie circa 1992 of a martial arts master coming to wreak havoc. I thought he name was "Kwang" but that was the WWF guy from Rumble 94. Does anyone else remember this?

He was given a decent amount of hype.

Sounds like Yoshi Kwan who had a short feud with Cactus Jack and I think that was about it for him in WCW.

I have a vivid memory of a WCW News piece presented by Solie circa 1992 of a martial arts master coming to wreak havoc. I thought he name was "Kwang" but that was the WWF guy from Rumble 94. Does anyone else remember this?

He was given a decent amount of hype.

Sounds like Yoshi Kwan who had a short feud with Cactus Jack and I think that was about it for him in WCW.

Yeah, it was around that time. Chris Champion was the guy under the gimmick, and they gave him a brief undefeated streak (before botching it completely, as Foley grumpily recounts in his first book).