Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck (Bunkhouse)

Loss

• 1 month later...

This was outstanding. Buck is really good at feeding spots to Dustin, but wow, Dustin is on fire and just looks awesome. I like how they were able to run this and the Cactus tag on the same show and make them feel so different. This is the better wrestling match of the two. Gotta love Dustin's super fired up comebacks, and this type of match full of jeans, kneepads, belts, powder and blood isn't the type of thing that stuck around on the national scene for very long after this. WCW really felt like a promotion that was finally getting it around this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Super start to match with Rhodes just running down the ramp and flying over the ropes on to Buck. I was not a Bunkhouse fan back in the day so we will see how things are. Buck smashes a stick over Rhodes back and a part of it goes flying into the crowd. Yikes. Whipping him pretty good with belt also. Parker is amusing here with bouts of him cheering with glee and then throwing fits. Damn, this ended up being a really good match. Great brawling between the two as they make good opponents.

Here's another match that I LOVE. Dustin is on his game in this and so is Buck. The blood, belts, powder, and nastiness all fits well into this. Some of the spots in this match are incredibly brutal and cringe worthy. This is an awesome feud and this match tells why.

• 4 months later...

Had never seen this match until a couple days ago. Wow. This was really friggin good. This is type of down home, southern brawl that I just love. A great hate-filled sprint that never had a dull moment. I loved the opening of Dustin leaping at Bunkhouse Buck. It was totally unexpected and set the tone perfectly for the rest of the match.

The only question I was wondering was why Dustin was so pissed at Buck? I know Parker managed Austin at the time. Was it an offshot of that feud?

• 1 month later...

Good brawling match, with Dustin in full American Dream mode carrying the thing on his shoulder like there's no tomorrow, bleeding buckets and dropping the elbow. Golden is decent in this kind of match, but really nothing special. Good feeder like Loss said, but outside of that, really the match would have been much more fun with Fuller. It's nice to have a family member on the booking commity, isn't it Golden ?

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Had never seen this match until a couple days ago. Wow. This was really friggin good. This is type of down home, southern brawl that I just love. A great hate-filled sprint that never had a dull moment. I loved the opening of Dustin leaping at Bunkhouse Buck. It was totally unexpected and set the tone perfectly for the rest of the match. The only question I was wondering was why Dustin was so pissed at Buck? I know Parker managed Austin at the time. Was it an offshot of that feud?

That seemed to be the beginning. As for the Buck feud proper, as I understand it, Dustin teamed with Erik Watts to reclaim Watts' Rookie of the Year trophy, which had been stolen by Tex & Shanghai. After reclaiming the trophy, Buck attacked both men and broke the trophy over Dustin's back.

And goddamn, this is seriously up there with the two WM10 matches and Smothers/Candido for the best U.S. bouts of the year. As much as people enjoyed this, I may have liked it the most of anyone. Dustin begins in style by launching himself from the ramp and never lets up from there. It may be his best performance to date. Buck is mostly a punching bag, but he has great selling and a number of neat little tricks at his disposal to make up for the fact that he's not exactly Mr. Offense. This is also very well laid-out, as opposed to a mindless sprint like in the Chicago Street Fight. Everything Buck does to Dustin, Dustin pays him back with. When Heenan exclaims, "This is wrestling the way I like it!" I think he speaks for almost all of us. The only quibble I have is the finish itself, as all of a sudden Nick Patrick is a stickler for enforcing rules in a fucking Bunkhouse Match, just so Parker can slip knuckle-dusters to Buck. Why even bother distracting the ref for that?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching Spring Stampede 94 over again and it does seem some trophy was broken over Dustin's back. So Pete's explanation seems to make sense.

Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck - WCW Spring Stampede 1994 Bunkhouse Match

Just a down home, Southern brawl that is a totally lost art in today's pro wrestling landscape. Incredible match. The Brain was gushing over this match talking about how this was the wrestling he was raised on. It was not the wrestling I was raised on, but damn if it was not the wrestling I truly love. Dustin sets the tone perfectly coming flying over the top rope onto Buck from the ramp. He just whups Buck, who is great at selling. It is so weird watching Jimmy Golden and Robert Fuller just absolutely own WCW in 1994 putting on the best quality act in the promotion. Dustin crashes and burns on the crossbody attempt. Now it gets real good. Parker choking Dustin with the handkerchief and then Buck absolutely blasts Dustin with a stick. I mean that thing went flying into the crowd. Dustin is bleeding and of course wearing a white Texas shirt. Buck chokes him and tries to destroys the leg, but Dustin fights back. Dustin is such a fucking good babyface. Powder to Buck! Buck responds by whipping Dustin with a belt while he is standing. Holy shit! He is rifling him. God Bless This Match! Buck gets caught up in the ropes and here comes Dustin with a MONEY firey comeback. He blasts him with his belt buckle drawing blood and then with the heel of his cowboy boot. This is so damn Southern! Then he whips Bunkhouse Buck like the dog he is. Bionic Elbows in the corner complete with crotch thrust! BULLDOG! Parker is in the ring and Dustin whips him. Dustin seems to have command of the match, but Parker gets a pair of knuckledusters to Buck who cleans Dustin's clock for the win. Brain makes a big deal about a Rhodes losing a Bunkhouse match, which is pretty legit shocking.

There is a moment between beating Parker and where Parker gives Buck the foreign object that match seems to lose its way. That aside, fucking incredible heated Southern brawl. One of the last of its kind. Looking forward to the rest of the feud! ****1/2

• 4 months later...

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-400-351/2/

What an awesome bloody brawl. Re-watching this today, I'm inclined to think this is my match of the night now (on a really great show). I love how this starts with Dustin flying over the top as he is so fired up. The lariat he takes on the entrance ramp, prior to being busted open, looks so brutal. Dustin really delivers a nice spot there. Typically a lot of southern brawls like this, with all this heat and intensity, don't typically last this long either. Great match! ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck (Bunkhouse)
  • 1 year later...

This was a bloody brawl with plenty of fun gimmicks to keep the action fresh. They use cowboy boots, belts and powder on each other. Dustin unsurprisingly throws some great punches in this. He has a lengthy shine segment on Buck after completing his comeback and this was super fun to watch. Sometimes watching a heel get beat in one-sided beating is all you need to be entertained. 

★★★★

• 1 year later...