Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

2 hours ago, SmartMark15 said:

This is what really gets me. This is the same company that gave us Bryan's historic 06 title run, Nigel's turn on the fans, Jimmy Jacobs and BJ Whitmer murdering each other all over the country, one of the hottest interpromotional feuds in history, and so much more greatness.

It's the same company in name only. All of that was booked under the old regime. As much as I don't wanna credit Gabe for everything, the company has really been on a downhill slide product wise since the day he stepped away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess this is the place for the Crockett Cup, as this was basically an amped up ROH show with outsiders.

Some really good matches. PCO & King vs Briscoes was the best tag match of the tournament, to the surprise of no-one. Stuka Jr. & Azteca Guerrera Jr. vs Bandido & Flip was also quite good, although a bit sloppy at points (and Flip looked the lesser of the four). The Rock'n Roll match was nowhere near as good as the LAX one. The booking was kinda puzzling though, with the tow random dudes going to the final only to get slaughtered. PCO was easily the star of the tournament, as always.

Cabana vs Willie Mack was really good. James Storm showing up as the next challenger I guess means another really good match. The women's match was decent. Madusa's promo was brutal, it looked like she had no idea what to say. 

Main event was excellent and well worth watching, the best I've seen Nick Aldis looked, but it's obvious Scurll is the terrific worker of the two and made it *that* good.

Not sold at the NWA concept though. Still looks like a convention show. These belts are all fine, but there isn't an actual promotion with a roster and stories to follow. So these are just new belts named after old belts, and a bunch of workers from other promotions are trading them. The whole lineage blabla is forced as fuck, no one actually believes it, it feels like a giant cosplay. As far as production goes, I have no idea what you'd want to make it dim on purpose. I mean, that ugly ass NWA logo in the ring, straight out of the 80's, is just retromania. It's not even cool looking, it just looks old for the purpose of looking "like it used to be". The last time the NWA belt actually meant something, of sorts, was when Shane Douglas threw it away and it's because it created something new. Give me the stuff of tomorrow, not the stuff of thirty years ago that don't actually mean anything anymore despite Corny giving history lessons during the entire event (which gets tiring, honestly, as much as Corny rules it on color) . Give me Lucha Underground, give me AEW, give me something different. The obsession with the past is boring.

On the actual wrestling on the show, I think we're in agreement.

I actually liked the production in that it really felt like a Crockett show, and that was clearly what they were going for. Not sure I'd drop that every night, when they're literally calling it the Crockett Cup, it worked.

I also think the NWA concept right now (no real "promotion", building matches through Youtube, having the belts defended in lots of places) is smart. It's made the belts more meaningful than any time since 1994 (other than arguably a couple of points when TNA was riding high) and it's fairly low risk for Corgan. If it's an inexpensive vanity promotion for him that occasionally churns out good stuff, fine by me.

I don't mind the NWA being a hub for other pro wrestling companies. An alliance that is really a promotion, but at the same time not a promotion nor really an alliance. I'm hip. I can dig it. However, the presentation really kills it for me. I am not asking for the NWA to look and sound like everyone else, but surely there is a way to pay homage to the past while completely embracing the present and setting up something special for the future.  Does anyone know the target audience for the new NWA? Is it "just wrestling fans", because not too long ago someone else had that same target demo and after losing millions of dollars, she was finally ousted. I feel Corgan's only selling point is nostalgia. There is nothing else in the chamber. If the NWA's main goal is to have less than 15 shows a year while running the tour champion gimmick and drawing 1200-1500 people into an arena; then Corgan has his formula. 

10 hours ago, fakeplastictrees said:

If the NWA's main goal is to have less than 15 shows a year while running the tour champion gimmick and drawing 1200-1500 people into an arena; then Corgan has his formula. 

See, I think that may be fine for them. My best guess is Corgan wants to be involved in wrestling without risking a lot of money - the current NWA setup may limit his upside, but it also really limits his downside.

21 hours ago, Migs said:

On the actual wrestling on the show, I think we're in agreement.

I actually liked the production in that it really felt like a Crockett show, and that was clearly what they were going for. Not sure I'd drop that every night, when they're literally calling it the Crockett Cup, it worked.

I also think the NWA concept right now (no real "promotion", building matches through Youtube, having the belts defended in lots of places) is smart. It's made the belts more meaningful than any time since 1994 (other than arguably a couple of points when TNA was riding high) and it's fairly low risk for Corgan. If it's an inexpensive vanity promotion for him that occasionally churns out good stuff, fine by me.

They had some real buzz when Colt Cabana and Adam Pearce were feuding over the belt. Then the NWA torpedoed that one.

18 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

They had some real buzz when Colt Cabana and Adam Pearce were feuding over the belt. Then the NWA torpedoed that one.

I sound like a broken record every time this comes up, but TOTALLY. That Pearce/Cabana feud was the bee's tits and a prime example of how to run a classic, traditional pro wrestling rivalry in today's world.

It had everything. Opposing viewpoints. An unlikely alliance. Betrayal. Piledrivers. Neckbraces. Fireballs. Chains. Gimmick matches. And amazing interviews throughout the entire on-again/off-again grudge that lasted what felt like a couple of years.

Just an awesome, fun feud that is truly worth seeking out & following from start to finish.

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

It was great but they had to screw the pooch and we never got the real conclusion to it. But I loved it, that was height of CWF Hollywood's TV.

CWF Hollywood was legitimately my favorite week to week wrestling promotion there for awhile. Strong angles. Consistent, clearly defined characters. Steady rivalries. Decent interviews. It was doing NXT at a time before anything else out there was.

Have you seen the 7 Levels of Hate DVD? It features interviews with Colt, Adam, Marquez, and company & goes into detail about how (and why) everything went off the rails with their feud at the end there.

It's very unfortunate and your typical shady con-man bullshit. Passing over a hot commodity in Colt (who was super over with his podcast and personalized merch at a time before everyone & their cousin was doing THAT, too) for a quick paycheck from the Almighty Sheik was the dirt worst decision. The NWA brass deserved to go down in flames for that one.

I've heard different stories about that whole debacle with Pearce refusing to drop the title to The Almighty Sheik, so he dropped it to Cabana but nobody in the NWA told Cabana that The Sheik was scheduled to get the belt.  Cabana reluctantly drops the belt to The Sheik, who then goes on tour with Zero-1, and refuses to come back to the States and drop it back to Cabana, so they strip him of it.  Because I think that whole deal is covered, I'd like to see that Seven Levels of Hate DVD, but the only version I can find has the Documentary but not the matches.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:48 PM, El-P said:

I guess this is the place for the Crockett Cup, as this was basically an amped up ROH show with outsiders.

Some really good matches. PCO & King vs Briscoes was the best tag match of the tournament, to the surprise of no-one. Stuka Jr. & Azteca Guerrera Jr. vs Bandido & Flip was also quite good, although a bit sloppy at points (and Flip looked the lesser of the four). The Rock'n Roll match was nowhere near as good as the LAX one. The booking was kinda puzzling though, with the tow random dudes going to the final only to get slaughtered. PCO was easily the star of the tournament, as always.

Cabana vs Willie Mack was really good. James Storm showing up as the next challenger I guess means another really good match. The women's match was decent. Madusa's promo was brutal, it looked like she had no idea what to say. 

Main event was excellent and well worth watching, the best I've seen Nick Aldis looked, but it's obvious Scurll is the terrific worker of the two and made it *that* good.

Not sold at the NWA concept though. Still looks like a convention show. These belts are all fine, but there isn't an actual promotion with a roster and stories to follow. So these are just new belts named after old belts, and a bunch of workers from other promotions are trading them. The whole lineage blabla is forced as fuck, no one actually believes it, it feels like a giant cosplay. As far as production goes, I have no idea what you'd want to make it dim on purpose. I mean, that ugly ass NWA logo in the ring, straight out of the 80's, is just retromania. It's not even cool looking, it just looks old for the purpose of looking "like it used to be". The last time the NWA belt actually meant something, of sorts, was when Shane Douglas threw it away and it's because it created something new. Give me the stuff of tomorrow, not the stuff of thirty years ago that don't actually mean anything anymore despite Corny giving history lessons during the entire event (which gets tiring, honestly, as much as Corny rules it on color) . Give me Lucha Underground, give me AEW, give me something different. The obsession with the past is boring.

You've summed up my thoughts about the show and the NWA concept pretty much to a "T." PCO is a nut and every time I watch him wrestle, I fear for his health. I posted elsewhere on the board that I felt a little uncomfortable with the level of violence we've been seeing in some matches recently. The match that made me think about this was the Villain Enterprises vs Briscoes ,match from the PPV.  I mean, I'm just as guilty as anyone for enjoying this stuff but sometimes I wonder where it will all end up in the near future. Of course, as I type this, I'm wearing a W*ING shirt so what can I really say?

Totally agree with you about the NWA concept. After the show I sat back and it was kind of a "So what?" moment. Yeah, the show was fun and a solid way to kill 3.5 hours (also could have shaved a half hour off somewhere and may have been better off) but at the end of the day what did it accomplish? I can't see a non-fan ordering it. I don't really think it was promoted in such a way to draw in lapsed NWA/Crockett fans (and really how many of those would have been enticed by what was presented?) and if it did, what are they going to do with those fans? There's no tv show to watch, except maybe ROH and that isn't really an "old school" product as much as it's a promotion that is starting to seem like it wants to be WWE. You can't even say "Well, we have long matches with great wrestlers" and have that be a point of differentiation anymore because WWE has a lot of long matches with solid wrestling (depending on your view of solid wrestling, that is). So yeah, what's the point? Maybe they should officially partner with ROH and run co-branded shows? That's essentially all they are doing at this point anyway.

I will disagree about the ring canvas/apron and logo though. I really did like the look a lot. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, SomethingSavage said:

I sound like a broken record every time this comes up, but TOTALLY. That Pearce/Cabana feud was the bee's tits and a prime example of how to run a classic, traditional pro wrestling rivalry in today's world.

It had everything. Opposing viewpoints. An unlikely alliance. Betrayal. Piledrivers. Neckbraces. Fireballs. Chains. Gimmick matches. And amazing interviews throughout the entire on-again/off-again grudge that lasted what felt like a couple of years.

Just an awesome, fun feud that is truly worth seeking out & following from start to finish.

Did they ever release the documentary dvd with all of the matches in their series? I remember when all of that was happening and I really wanted to watch it. 

EDIT: Nevermind. Literally two or three posts after this you mention it. Reading the whole thread is your friend.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've been following that story today as well. Feels like the biggest wrestling news of the day. But I'm also waiting for more information because that fan feels to me like he's really leaving some information out to paint himself in a prettier light.

Not like the solution is ever to take him backstage to intimidate him, if that happened. Just kick him out... but still.

Does anyone have a link to this? This sounds wicked fucking bizarre. How bad can a fan really boo an act? There is some really awful shit men can say to women and if it was that bad then kick him out. There is nothing he could have said to warrant him being dragged to the back and be intimidated. If he got physical with one of the women, all bets are off, but if it is just words then it sounds like the wrestlers have some really thin skin. 

https://twitter.com/xiamhollywoodx/status/1135413375138009089?s=21

There's the story from the fan's perspective. He said some things that were slightly off-color, I guess, but nothing profane and a.) he was spat at first, and b.) Velvet Sky brought the sex stuff into it first by calling him a virgin. Basically it seems that she and Bully Ray were upset that she got clapped back on. And he was doing this to the heels!

6 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

https://twitter.com/xiamhollywoodx/status/1135413375138009089?s=21

There's the story from the fan's perspective. He said some things that were slightly off-color, I guess, but nothing profane and a.) he was spat at first, and b.) Velvet Sky brought the sex stuff into it first by calling him a virgin. Basically it seems that she and Bully Ray were upset that she got clapped back on. And he was doing this to the heels!

Specifically, he got a tongue lashing from a guy who's attempted to start riots! Who's whole thing is that fans are supposed to hate the heels! It's really weird.

Even if what he said was really bad, they were in the wrong the second they had security take him backstage so Bully Ray could try to intimidate him. That's a huge breach of trust between fans and the promotion. 

I honestly probably won't buy a ticket in the future for an RoH show. Not because I am angry but because I don't trust them to provide a safe venue for me to attend. 

According to a CagesideSeats.com reader comment, "Something worth noting from Reddit
Multiple fans in attendance said he was being obnoxious and doing jerk off motions to the women’s match, with uh… a lot of detail."

I'm not one to defend Bully Ray, as I think he's a thin-skinned baby who can dish it out but can't take it, but I am not quite ready to blindly believe this fan either.

With that said, while I don't feel like combing through 900+ Reddit comments to verify the accuracy of the above Cageside reader comment, I did find this: "He had a Twitter interaction with Velvet that she took personally back in March. I think they knew who he was and targeted him." 

So, who knows... 

Edit: Security taking the fan backstage to be confronted by Bully is ridiculous, out of line, and unethical. I hope the fan sues Sinclair and gets a hefty payday. Bully pretending to be a tough guy is hilarious from the outside looking in, but I can see how that fan would be intimidated. It's an uncomfortable situation at best.

The fact that Bubba told the guy not to say anything he wouldn't say to his mom leads me to believe he was going well beyond simply booing the heels and cheering the faces. Even so, this is incredibly bush-league. Getting into an altercation with a fan is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Have him kicked out if he's that out of line.