Pro Wrestling Only

RAW 1000

Loss

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Goldberg, Edge, Mark Henry, Wade Barrett, Kaientai, Steve Blackman, Goldust, Diesel, Hardcore Holly, Molly Holly, Michelle McCool, Mean Street Posse, Shane McMahon, The Godfather/Papa Shango/Kama, Ultimate Warrior, Ahmed Johnson, King Kong Bundy, Ted DiBiase, I.R.S., Tatanka, Mideon, Viscera, Ken Shamrock, Gangrel, Shawn Stasiak, The Boogeyman, Lance Storm or a plethora of other people? The way Meltzer made it sound, I thought this show was going to have like 200 people on it.

And even if I wouldn't want to see a lot of those guys, I would take any of them over Brodus Clay squashing Jack Swagger in 30 seconds.

And I know that Austin is filming his small role in that shitty Adam Sandler movie but who gives a fuck? There's a new terrible Adam Sandler movie every four months, there's never going to be another 1,000th RAW in his life time. Seems silly to not be able to get a day off.

I see it as a can't win for losing situation. If all those people showed up (or even half that list), the complaint would be that they overstuffed the show.

I don't really sense anyone was hankering for any of the names you mentioned, Edge is the only one who would have got any reaction (not counting guys on the injured list like Barrett or Henry).

Warrior would have been cool but he's not really a guy associated with RAW, plus he's had fights with Vince and is completely insane.

Eh, I disagree. They literally cut out the entire middle of the match. A few minutes of OK matwork and then straight to their comeback sequences...

As for the show, it was alright. I'd've liked the matches to have gone longer, but that wasn't the point. The cameos were generally fine. I marked for Sean Mooney. That was probably the best moonsault Lita ever did, too.

Show had its ups and downs.

- Liked the new WWE opening and collage of the past 19 1/2 years of RAW.

- DX-Sandow bit was fine. Amused at how Shawn gets to be the butt of the DX jokes. Dawned on me how tall Sandow is when in the ring with those guys. Towered over HHH. Will probably get his heat back on SD by beating Ryder again.

- I liked JR's goatee when it wasn't coloured. Six-man tag was fun. Have no idea why Jericho and Ziggler would want to team with each other after last week, though.

- Count me in as someone who enjoyed Mae Young and her son. Needed Henry to walk by, though. Piper being goofy enough to play jump rope with R-Truth and Little Jimmy worked for me too.

- Should've booked someone else other than Swagger for Clay to go over, especially since Swagger gave Ryback a fight the week prior.

- Thought, like a lot of others, that Steph was going to walk in on HHH and Trish. Was disappointed that it was DX, although creepy X-Pac ruled.

- Wedding alone wasn't all that great (aside from Slick), but combined with the Rock's part it was good. Thought AJ becoming GM was really underwhelming, but Bryan's did his darndest to make it seem like it was the worst thing in the world that could happen to him. I also really liked his interaction with Rock. The two clicked together, plus I love how Bryan kept the white mic the whole time, as he pulled off looking like the guy left at the altar hoping that something of a wedding could still happen.

- Seeing Bret was nice. Not sure if Miz needs the IC title, though.

- Regis name-dropping The Destroyer ruled.

- Didn't like the HHH-Lesnar stuff, particularly due to Lesnar getting the shorter end. He didn't necessarily need to be the one standing tall here, but a pull-apart brawl would've probably been the best thing here. Steph looked very good. "Failure of ECW" line was fun, but Lesnar and Heyman came off like chumps.

- Nice to see Lita, who looked good too. Love how Bradshaw can bounce back and forth between gimmicks with no rhyme or reason.

- Sean Mooney never ages. I'm somewhat intrigued by Bryan vs. Sheen. Sheen vs. SES Punk would make more sense though.

- Taker-Kane stuff was what it was. Liked Taker's entrance and attire. Fuck, Drew Mac's really fallen down the ladder.

- Fine main event. Loved the finish. First thought was Punk turned heel and Big Show was a hired gun of his. Other thought was Show just still has issues with Cena and that the reason Punk stopped the People's Elbow was just because Punk hates Rock (they may play up comments that Punk made of Rock, plus the line of "Dwayne being in the main event of WM" bit from last year's promo). They have a few possibilities here. I wonder if they figure Punk will still sell merch effectively as a heel. He does have that DVD coming out in the fall.

Overall thought it was an OK middle of the road type show. Nothing horrible in the ring but no great matches either that i'll remember in a week. Same for most of the promos & skits except for the DX reuinion and Mae Young's hand which I both found amusing.

Thought the Punk turn was pretty generic and he's been a heel for like half his career if not more so there's no novelty to that. This was the first full RAW i've watched in forever and this really didn't do anything to make me want to tune in nxt week. The match they built up that I most want to see after last night is one we're probably not even getting in Rock vs Danielson.

Eh, I disagree. They literally cut out the entire middle of the match. A few minutes of OK matwork and then straight to their comeback sequences...

How does that contradict anything I said?

The angle started with the ref bump which came a good few minutes after that.

Great ending to the show. By "fine", I mean nothing was offensive. Dave exaggerated how many people would be appearing in a huge way though. Lex Luger and Scott Hall are not employed by TNA, and I'm sure they have phones.

I don't think they would want those two guys out there.

Austin is shooting a movie.

They probably wouldn't, but Dave reported on it in advance that every single living wrestler not employed by TNA or in rehab would be on the show. And there weren't honestly that many cameo. I expected the wedding to be filled with them. A lot of the guys "confirmed" were nowhere to be found either.

Not sure who the "shocking" person was either that MKJ was talking about.

Great ending to the show. By "fine", I mean nothing was offensive. Dave exaggerated how many people would be appearing in a huge way though. Lex Luger and Scott Hall are not employed by TNA, and I'm sure they have phones.

They probably wouldn't, but Dave reported on it in advance that every single living wrestler not employed by TNA or in rehab would be on the show. And there weren't honestly that many cameo. I expected the wedding to be filled with them. A lot of the guys "confirmed" were nowhere to be found either.

Mooney? That was shocking, but not for any particularly good reason.

But yeah, obviously the idea that this was an all hands on deck episode of Raw was totally overdone, which is a shame as the random cameos were probably the best part of the show, and the best part of the build to the show was Slater vs. random guy who hasn't been on Raw in 10+ years. I wonder if they tried to get Rob Bartlett for the show. You're telling me he wasn't available?

I was actually expecting Bartlett when they announced an old announcer.

I really, truly think that they should have sacrificed the last month of TV in order to time the returns of Rey, Sin Cara, Jericho, Truth, and any other injured/suspended guy they had and then done this like that first Bischoff/Russo episode of Nitro where every single segment had some sort of surprise/return.

Haven't seen the show yet, haven't read any spoilers, haven't read anything in this thread--someone tell me, was it a memorable show and a must-see? That's all I want to know.

No to both but it did have some fun parts. But you didn't miss anything that they won't just replay if it mattered anyway.

Fair point, I didn't realise that Meltzer hyped the show up like that.

And I know that Austin is filming his small role in that shitty Adam Sandler movie but who gives a fuck? There's a new terrible Adam Sandler movie every four months, there's never going to be another 1,000th RAW in his life time. Seems silly to not be able to get a day off.

The producers and director? It's not like they can just re-arrange a film shoot for a silly TV show.

Oh, also apparently Austin didn't miss the show because he was filming a movie:

On July 23, 2012 WWE celebrated the 1,oooth episode of Monday Night Raw. I watched the show from my home in Los Angeles. After watching the show, I got on my Twitter account, @steveaustinBSR, to read responses to the show. There were many people blaming Vince McMahon and the WWE for not having SCSA on the show. And there were some folks who had some very negative things to say about me, personally.

The reason I did not attend RAW 1,000 was because I underwent a major knee surgery on my left knee on July 2, 2012. Dr. Neal ElAttrache of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, CA performed the surgery.

The surgery was a complete success. I am currently three weeks post op. I began physical therapy a few days ago. I had a world class surgeon and a great medical team working on me. I am now working with a top notch PT team. I am still on crutches and will probably lose the crutches in another week. Then I will be in a custom knee brace much like the braces I wore in the ring for 9-12 weeks.

STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN IS A 100% ASS KICKING MACHINE. There was no way I was going to limp down the ramp on crutches for RAW 1,000. It was time to get my knee fixed. The decision to no-show RAW 1,000 was made by me and no one else. I have always taken pride in making my shots and have never faked an injury or illness. Pro Wrestling is a tough game and it was time to pay the piper for some of the damage I incurred in the ring. No gripes. No complaints.

To the fans that were hoping to see SCSA, I’m sorry I missed the show. I would have loved to be there under different circumstances. I normally keep my personal business to myself, but due to feedback and incorrect speculation, I have posted this blog and given the 411 on why I was not at RAW 1,000.

http://brokenskullranch.com/archives/1142