Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-06-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Pro Wrestling Illustrated Achievement Awards

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Scott Steiner is awesome standing there half-nude while the other three are in suits.

Also Bill evidently needs to prompt Scott like a dog trainee--"say thanks to your fans."

Flair declares the PWI Wrestler of the Year to be the greatest award in wrestling next to the World's Heavyweight title. That's how to put the mags (which account for free advertising for your given promotion) over.

What a strange setup. Four men in what looks like a radio recording studio, three men in suits and one men in wrestling tights with a long mullet. Did Scott Steiner not own a suit, so they just put him out for this in his trunks? What an odd segment (which I keep saying about these 1990 interviews, but...seriously, they all seem really weird 22 years later).

Ha ha ha, Scott Steiner looks like a naughty little boy here. Solie compares winning a PWI award to winning a superbowl ring.

Steiner says he'll cherish the award for a lifetime, wonder if he still has it.

Flair -- yet again in face "Minnesotta Flair" mode with his lower, subdued "serious" voice -- sincerely puts over how honoured he is to win the award.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Baldy Apter presents the PWI Editor's Award to Gordon Solie, Most Improved Wrestler to Scott Steiner and Wrestler of the Decade to Ric Flair. Scott says he'll be cherishing his award for a lifetime, whilst Ric claims next to the World title, this is the most prestigious award in the sport. I swear I saw both of their noses growing.

• 10 months later...

Both suited-up, Flair and Solie are convincing in sounding honored to be getting a PWI award. Scott Steiner, dressed in his ring gear, says he will cherish the award for the rest of his life and he looks like he can't wait to get this segment over. I doubt he even still has his award.

Has Apter ever looked young?

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-06-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Pro Wrestling Illustrated Achievement Awards