Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Short match, but good stuff with lots of excitement. The match is built around DiBiase trying to get Virgil to get the Million Dollar Belt out of the bag, and Virgil wanting no part of it. DiBiase pays off Slick and Big Boss Man to take the belt back. They walk off with the snake and the belt and suddenly Brother Love starts. The payoff is news to the Boss Man, and he has second thoughts about giving the belt back, because he thought he was just retrieving stolen property. DiBiase and Boss Man have words, and Boss Man ultimately decides to give the belt back to Jake and unlocks the handcuffs he himself put on Jake back in the ring. He returns to Brother Love and shoves Slick down and walks away on his own. Boss Man's babyface turn. I really like this angle.

Decent match for Superstars with lots of DDT teases that Jake was a master of. The Big Boss Man retrieves Damian and the Million Dollar Belt and the plan all coalesces on the Brother Love set--until BBM hears something about a payoff. Jake gets the bag and belt back and we have a babyface turn. I don't know what the talk was about in the sheets, but this FLOORED me when I saw it at the time.

Has the WWE shown this much during any of their retro pieces (DVDs, Vintage Collection, 24/7)? Because, in my opinion, this was one of their best face turns, considering Boss Man had a solid upper midcard babyface run afterwards (heck, he was a good Hogan opponent also). Anyways, like Pete, I loved this angle when I was a kid, and there was enough kayfabe I was into that it floored me too. "Boss Man as a good guy?" was the thought in my head.

Was shocked to see them in a match on Superstars based on the build but was glad it was mainly used as a vehicle to advance the storyline and not too much was given away. The angle with Boss Man was really well done and actually seems like one of the better babyface turns in company history. I loved Jake still being guarded against Boss Man when he returned to the ring.

Great to finally see this in full. Match was short with DiBiase squirming his way out of a couple DDT attempts. Slick is randomly out there which makes you know something is up. Boss Man makes an appearance and handcuffs Jake to the ropes and takes off the with the bag. Then we have Brother Love ready. I can only image DiBiase brainstorming this one beforehand. This all leads to Boss Man turning face which he realizes there was payoffs involved. He returns the bag to Jake with all the heels having fits. Really effective turn of Boss Man as fans get behind him real quick. Enjoyed this one.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, even though I was watching for about a month before this took place, this is the first memory I have of wrestling. Great angle, although even at the time, I questioned why Boss Man would give the Million Dollar Belt back to Jake, considering it belonged to DiBiase and Jake stole it from him. Minor quibble, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I had ever seen this before stumbling upon it online a few months ago (please don't shun me for being too cheap to buy the yearbook :) ). Say what you will about wrestling, Vince and all the tasteless angles over the years, there was something about this segment I found touching, even beautiful. Even if I'm looking through rose coloured glasses, it really made me miss the days of the WWF presenting little morality plays like this where the line between good and bad was clearly drawn. Vince on commentary is at his best, punctuating the angle with his "You can't buy the Bossman's dignity" line. A great example of why I love pro wrestling.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the end part of this on YouTube, curious as to how they turned Boss Man face, because he was still a pretty hot heel in this time frame. It shouldn't have worked, but it did. He went in one year from being Hogan's hated rival in a series of cage matches to being the guy who had Hogan's back later this year.

Off-topic, but they really dropped the ball when they teased a face turn in '99 against McMahon. We wouldn't have had all that ugliness with Paul Wight's "father", etc.

• 2 weeks later...

First time for me as well. I like that there are three storylines going on in this match:

1. DiBiase bailing on the DDT attempts.

2. Virgil being scared of the snake and Ted getting pissed off at him not complying with his orders (further pre-empting on that slow slow build angle)

3. The intrigue with Slick being outside.

In the Brother Love segment that follows it is TERRIFIC that you can see Bossman's face turn and his entire expression change as DiBiase is boasting about buying his services.

Then a great little moment as DiBiase interrogates Slick.

Bossman and DiBiase nose-to-nose during this exceptionally well executed face turn.

SLL, you can watch Citzen Kane all day long brother, this shit is excellent.

• 1 month later...

This was actually something I saw when it happened back in the days when I wasn't watching much wrestling, and WCW when I did. I was flipping around the TV on a Saturday morning and caught this. I remember loving the turn, even though I still hated Brother Love, The Big Bossman gimmick, Slick, Virgil, and the Million Dollar Man gimmick. :lol:

I've changed my mind on most of that besides Brother Love.

Again, though...Bossman getting in DiBiase's face and telling him off is fucking great shit.

• 2 months later...

Fantastic angle here! The match was good, short, and doesn't give too much away so they can have the Mania match. A lot of nice DDT teases as well. The post match angle was brilliant with Boss Man turning face because he can't be bought. Is Boss Man the only person in the WWF besides Jake that isn't afraid of snakes?

• 1 year later...

A beautifully done organic face turn here. It comes right out of Bossman's character, which automatically makes it better than so many turns where "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is the closest we get to an explanation, and we're automatically supposed to forget the former heel's history. Great use of Brother Love here to fully explain the angle so there's no mistaking the motivations of those involved. I hated Vince talking over Teddy and Slick at the end, though.

Three random comments:

1) If they'd gone the other way and kept Bossman heel, a program with him and Jake would have been terrific.

2) This could have also been a nice springboard to Slick's "Reverend" character if they'd thought of it at the time, with Slick backing Bossman and Teddy having to deal with both Jake and the Twin Towers.

3) To anyone with a sense of American history, Slick/Bossman was a bit of an odd pairing. Why would any self-respecting black man take under his wing a fat white prison guard who more than likely spent most of his time beating up black inmates at the Cobb County jail? (Come to think of it, why did I just call Slick a self-respecting black man when he was portrayed as a money-hungry fast-talking pimp?)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The match is short, but the post-match angle is the real meat of this segment. Roberts and DiBiase have an enjoyable back and forth match until Bossman comes out and nails Roberts with the nightstick. Bossman refuses to retrieve DiBiase's belt for him from Jake's bag after he finds out he's been bribed. Bossman then verbally dresses down the heels and he helps Roberts, turning him face.

I've not heard of this let alone seen this before and it's bloody brilliant. Bossman's passion is off the charts. A beautiful piece of cheesed-up American wrestling.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-03-WWF-Superstars] Jake Roberts vs Ted DiBiase
  • 2 years later...
On 12/10/2014 at 4:50 PM, garretta said:

3) To anyone with a sense of American history, Slick/Bossman was a bit of an odd pairing. Why would any self-respecting black man take under his wing a fat white prison guard who more than likely spent most of his time beating up black inmates at the Cobb County jail? (Come to think of it, why did I just call Slick a self-respecting black man when he was portrayed as a money-hungry fast-talking pimp?)

I seem to recall hearing there was actual racial tension between the two men, that smoothed over as time went on. Slick inducted Boss Man into the HOF which I imagine would be a testament to that. 

• 2 months later...

Hot match that left you wanting more. Jakes DDT teases were expertly placed as ever and the crowd are lapping it up.  Post-match is where the money is. Ted and Slic screwing around with the Bossman really works and puts his face turn in motion. Bossman spitting and violently getting into Dibiase's face heat's things up immediately and has the type of visceral energy you rarely see in todays WWE. Great angle