Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling and Rap

JerryvonKramer

Don't know if anyone here listens to hip-hop, but GZA / Genius from the Wu-Tang Clan definitely used to watch 70s WWF.

Here he is in Shadowboxin where we get the line:

I slayed MC's back in the rec room era

My style broke motherfuckin backs like Ken Patera

Then years later on the song

The plan was drawing blood and displayed it graphically

Direct order, hit the border, then slaughter

Horrific torture, by prolific authors

Shape and mold MC's, like I'm playing the skelly top

It's getting 'hot in here' like the single that Nelly dropped

So take ya clothes off, the track is so soft

A little vodka turn 'em into Ivan Koloff

I always find it greatly amusing when guys like that randomly turn up in pop culture.

I always loved that Jay Z dropped a Luger reference in Can't Knock the Hustle:

I'm making short term goals, wonder whether foes

just put away the leathers and put ice on the gold

chilly with enough bail money to free a big Willy

high stakes, I got more at stake than Philly

shopping sprees, coping three, deuce fever I guess its fully loaded,

ah yes,

bouncing in the lex luger, tires smoke like Buddha

50 g's to the crap shooter

Until learning that a producer also went by the name Lex Luger. So crushing.

Ha ha, just been looking for any other instances that a rapper name dropped DiBiase, and apparently, some chap called Jay Rock says this on the song "2 Raw":

Just me and my posse

Strapped up boy you gotta know the ropes like Ted DiBiase

What an awful rhyme!

That's not the only one though:

Lupe Fiasco, "The One"

In high school I was voted the most Ted DiBiase-est

Also the most slept on, cause my Ted DiBiase-ness

What the flying fuck? Is he saying DiBiase is slept on? Or is that an oblique reference to the Million Dollar Dream?

There's more:

The Roots, "Ain't Sayin' Nothing New"

Dig what I'm sayin yo? D-I-C-E

Shove a mic in your mouth, like Ted DiBiase

At least this one works, shows off a nice bit of wrestling knowledge.

Big Pun ft. Donnell Jones, “It's So Hard”

Poppin’ shit like a Nazi

Iced out like Dibiase

---------------------

It makes sense why wrestling and rap would make such easy bedfellows. Both are impossibly cartoonish macho worlds where men show off their masculinity and try to best each other through a mixture of toughness and braggadocio. Wrestlers cut promos bigging themselves up while denegrating their opponents, while rappers do the same through diss verses.

Wu-Tang definitely have a 70s wrestling thing going on though. Method Man name checks Bob Backlund several times and RZA mentions Wahoo McDaniel.

You know I have always been surprised that Heavy Metal did not have more of these connections (I guess we have Chris Jericho going for us). I live in a sort of a heavy metal bubble when I comes to music, but heavy metal is deeply entrenched in kayfabe. Each sub-genre has its own way of defining masculinity. If you are into glam/sleaze/hair, it is all about who could have the wildest outfits, the most outrageous solos and thus most importantly who could bang the most chicks. Thrash/Death was all about who could have the toughest, most brutal riffs and therefore be the toughest man. In power metal, it has always been about who is the most pure metal (i.e. who most sticks to the Judas Priest style of metal most correctly) and sings about things such as slaying dragons and being as tough as steel. Finally Black Metal, which is the most steeped in carny bullshit, is all about who can worship Satan the best. Black metal is my least favorite sub-genre, but I love listening to them give interviews because they are always supposed to be "shoot", but it always revolves around how Satan leads to empowerment. It is hilarious stuff listening to them work.

I think that what really grunge really killed in the American Hard Rock/Heavy Metal scene was this sense of carny-ism and outrageous larger than life bullshit. Anyways, point being I always thought Heavy Metal and Wrestling went hand in hand that was why I was such a fan of both. I definitely see your point about hip hop and I never thought about that way. I LOVE that Ken Patera has been name-dropped in a song.

So if anybody knows of some wrestling name-drops in heavy metal songs, give me a holler.

I always loved that Jay Z dropped a Luger reference in Can't Knock the Hustle:

I'm making short term goals, wonder whether foes

just put away the leathers and put ice on the gold

chilly with enough bail money to free a big Willy

high stakes, I got more at stake than Philly

shopping sprees, coping three, deuce fever I guess its fully loaded,

ah yes,

bouncing in the lex luger, tires smoke like Buddha

50 g's to the crap shooter

Until learning that a producer also went by the name Lex Luger. So crushing.

Lex Luger the producer is only 21 years old and was 3 when that song came out so I doubt it is a refrence to him. It probably is a refrence to the total package, referring to the total package of a Lexus I guess.

One of my favorite rap lines was from a lesser known LL Cool J song called Fugetabowit where he says "Out of my fucking mind and they won't let me back in because I was down before the hype like Dusty Rhodes, Bob Backlund, Bruno Sammartino, Stan Stasiak, now I'm rockin' Stone Cold on my favorite maniacs. The top rooster pluckin' chickens when they cluckin', the WWWF stands for "women, when we fuckin'?" Fugetabowit."

Theres also Juelz Santana's 2004 mention of Austin when he said "Do more more street talkin' than Stone Cold Steve Austin" and hilariously and softly said "What?" in the back ground ad libs right after.

The rap group O.G.C. (Originoo Gunn Clappaz) had a song called Dirtiest Players In The Game with these lyrics

First of all, Alcatraz I master my craft

Got the Power to Bomb that ass like I'm Kevin Nash

Cuz every game the same, ni**as is tryin to blow

If this was wrestling, we'd be NWO

The same shit, they started out havin the bullshit fights

Like we had the bullshit shows rockin the bullshit mics

Ras Kass - Soul On Ice Remix

"While we want to be NWA they create the NWO"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

First post here, but I couldn't pass up the chance to mention Action Bronson. In addition to to being a fat white guy who kinda sounds like Ghostface Killah, he peppers his music with wrestling references.

These two tracks should be of particular interest to y'all:

• 1 month later...

The rap group O.G.C. (Originoo Gunn Clappaz) had a song called Dirtiest Players In The Game with these lyrics

First of all, Alcatraz I master my craft

Got the Power to Bomb that ass like I'm Kevin Nash

Cuz every game the same, ni**as is tryin to blow

If this was wrestling, we'd be NWO

The same shit, they started out havin the bullshit fights

Like we had the bullshit shows rockin the bullshit mics

The OGC sub-group Heltah Skeltah have an entire album (Magnum Force) where they riff on the NWO and drop wrestling lines constantly. It is a shitty album but worth a listen for that alone.

Redman has a lyric on the Blackout album that goes "One arm slam you like Nikolai Volkoff"

Andre on the first Outkast album "southernplayalisticadillacmuzik" has the line "then I drop 'bows like Dusty Rhodes"

But my favorite has always been the Gza with the Ken Patera line!

Doom on the Madvillain album, I'm sure he has others too but I can't think of them right now.

Lookie here, it's just the way the cookie tear

Prepare to get hurt and mangled like Kurt Angle rookie year

Lil’ Wayne:

But I aint stuntin’ these hoes, I been pimpin’ since Hulk Hogan was NWO.

Yeah–I’m wild, Drizzy tough & the kid vicious.

The three horsemen, we just need Sid Vicious.”

Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire: (sorry had to put it in :lol: )

Where’s your bitch? Hand her off

I’ma piledrive the pussy like Paul Orndorff

Got to love the RapGenius deal on that one: ''He’s wanting to know where your girl is located, so he can pile-drive that pussy, much like the wrestler Paul Orndorff’s signature move''

Also:

I DDT the pussy, I’m Jake the Snake to you. I put ‘em in the coffin, I’m the Undertaker too

There's a theme developing here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First post here, but I couldn't pass up the chance to mention Action Bronson. In addition to to being a fat white guy who kinda sounds like Ghostface Killah, he peppers his music with wrestling references.

These two tracks should be of particular interest to y'all:

Here's a new one by Bronson, probably his best wrestling-themed rap so far: "The Rockers"

• 1 month later...

Yeah Czarface have quite a few references (and it's a great album overall)

No Kia, these women be blowin up my Nokia

Double axe-handle, Randy Savage, oh yeah

I'm sickly, flow quarantined by the CDC

Heads nod, pressure on your neck like a DDT

There's also an excerpt from a Piper (I think) promo at the end of this song:

Where he goes on about using ''guys like you'' for medical experiments. Anyone know this promo? Sounds like it would've drawn a million dollars.

• 1 month later...

Pusha T name drops Flair again on his new album, also found this talking about his previous usage of Flair:

Pusha T says if wrestling legend “Nature Boy” Ric Flair didn’t mind spending on dames, why the hell should he? On his new song “What Dreams Are Made Of,” the lyrical grappler tells XXLMag.com he wanted to give his fans a round of “supreme baller shit talking.”

“Sell that pussy to me./ I’d rather buy it baby./Look at your purse, you need the help./ You can’t deny it baby,” he raps on the chorus.

“I don’t want it free baby,” Pusha laughed on the phone yesterday. “I don’t. Flair didn’t want it free.”

Pusha says he’s been a fan of Flair since the National Wrestling Association days in the 1980s. One of Flair’s patented boast worthy interviews is used at the top of “What Dreams Are Made Of.”

“I loved wrestling,” Pusha explained. “I was a fan of Dusty Rhodes. My dad sat me down and was like ‘Yo, why you like him? Look at him! He has that big tumor on him. He looks disgusting. You supposed to like [Flair].’ I was like, ‘Why dad? He’s the bad guy.’ My dad said ‘who’s cleaner? Who’s fresher?’ Essentially he was saying ‘You don’t wanna muse Dusty Rhodes buddy.’ Ever since then I have been a Ric Flair fanatic.

“I felt the song was fitting,” he added, further delving on why he chose to the almost-20-time World Heavyweight Champion on his record. “The hook spoke in level of arrogance. I was trying to match a Pusha arrogance of what Flair would do. That’s why I put him at the top.”

I like a lot of the sentiments in that article.